• HTML tutorial

Tahoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Fair Oaks, california
Member #

Hi All,

I would like to start a discussion specifically about f[z]j80 builds people have. I am looking to spend some $$ and would like to spend it as wisely as possible.

Things I am looking for are like.
1. what lift is required for 35" tires
2. what kind of steering upgrade/work have people done. Mine has a slight bit of play in the steering and wondering if anyone else has fixed this type of issue.
3. should I wait on the lockers and just get the center diff lock switch.
4. what gears should I get for 35" tires.

I know a lot of this is googleable but i'd like to discuss directly on here with people that have 80 series FJs.

@Tahoe

rochmpr

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Walnut Grove, CA 95690, USA
First Name
Krister
Last Name
Favareille
Member #

Not much, if any lift, is needed to fit 315's, but id does help. There are many different lifts, 2" to 3" would be plenty. Going a full 6" gets very expensive.

Where is the play in the steering? You may need to rebuild the knuckles with new bearings, shims, etc., to make sure everything is tight and preload on bearings is set. May need to replace tie-rod ends. Much beyond that if the steering box.

IfF you get lockers, might as well re-gear at the same time. Center diff lock switch and axle lockers are different animals all together. Basically, the transfer case is like an open diff in AWD (4-Hi), when 4-Lo is engaged, it does lock the center diff sending equal power to front and rear axles (both still open diff axles). Lockers than adds another layer. The center diff lock just allows you to engage the center diff in AWD mode, making it like a true 4-Hi.

4.88 would be the lowest you would want.

Go to Slee Offroad for more info: http://www.sleeoffroad.com/newbie/newbie100.htm

Reactions: sierramtb75

Tahoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Fair Oaks, california
Member #

Thanks @rochmpr
I went with the OME 2.5" medium lift and am going to stick to 33" tires since re-gearing it and buying 35s will go over my limit. I think it should be fine for what we will do with that lift. Also getting the center diff lock switch so I can lock it in 4-Hi as well as 4-Lo. Just bought them so no going back now! :-)

Reactions: rochmpr

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
Way to go for it! And very good that you went to Slee. They know their stuff. Look forward to seeing the progress. And if it's not too late, go 35s!!

Tahoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Fair Oaks, california
Member #

So with my rig empty and my 2.5" lift becoming a 3.5" lift... I hear this noise in the backish part of the truck like vibration almost and especially when decelerating. I searched online and found that this is caused by the lift and the best fix is to install a DC (Double-Cardan) drive shaft. I'm going to try to do this swap myself! I'd really like to get to where I can do/fix anything on the truck.

Tahoe

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Fair Oaks, california
Member #

So it seems DC (Double-Cardan) drive shaft is the fix I need for the noise from down under. I tested the theory by following the advice from the majority of the people that had the same noise issues which was to load the truck down enough to squat the suspension a bit. This completely removed the noise so according to nearly all of the people that had a similar issue the DC should be a good permanent fix and I guess even more important if I lift the truck any higher.