EYE SAFETY PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT PPE

• HTML tutorial

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

In October 2018, a Maintenance Vehicle Service Worker at FOB Fenty Afghanistan was strapping cardboard boxes filled with NTV parts to a cart with a bungee cord when the cord snapped and hit the workers face causing significant injury to the left eye. The worker was not using eye protection at the time of the incident.

Bungee cords, elastic devices used for securing equipment, can cause serious damage to the eye that may result in vision problems. People sustained life-altering eye injuries when the hooks straightened out and lost their grip under heavier-than-normal loads, broke apart from the strap, or came loose when the load was being tied down. The use of bungee cords – elastic tie-down straps should sometimes be discouraged especially during some situations where loading Overland gear and equipment causes an unusual amount of strain and stress on the strapping material.

Hazards should be identified and removed wherever possible. Do your part by being aware of these hazards and to prevent not only an injury to yourself but, family members or friends who may be joining you on the same trail ride. This type of hazard can be unavoidable in most cases by properly donning a ballistic style type safety goggle or other preferred protective eyewear. Make it a point to always have spare eye protection sets available when loading out your rigs. There are many different kinds of safety eyewear, each designed to protect against a specific hazard. It is essential that you learn what the correct eyewear best conforms to your specific situation.

Here are some types of eye protection commonly used :

Safety glasses that protect against flying objects. Side protection is also available, in the form of side shields.​

For more hazardous work, goggles, helmets and face shields are worn in addition to safety glasses with side protection. Other types of goggles are made to protect against chemical splashes, dust, mist, sparks, broken or swinging tree branches and dirt particles. These are commonly experienced while on the trail either routine rig maintenance, setting up a camp site, building a campfire, traversing sand or gravel roads and water crossings.​

Eyewear which filters out harmful radiation is essential not only during extremely sunny days but, while welding new or existing parts and modifications. Dark lens glasses which filter out ultraviolet rays are only recommended for anyone who is working outside in sunny or bright weather conditions. Wear clear lens safety glasses when working indoors or in other low light conditions.​

There are many types of safety eyewear designed for many different hazards and work situations. Make sure you learn just what is required for your particular tasks and discuss the needs with your traveling team, take the time to assess the situation and take in consideration all safety analysis being communicated to mitigate possible injuries from happening.

Always remember to take good care of your eyewear just like you do with your rig. Check it over before putting it on. Watch for bent frames, damaged headbands and pitted or scratched lenses. Replace defective eyewear promptly. Keep it clean according to the manufacturer's instructions - usually by washing it in warm, soapy water and allowing it to air dry.

REMEMBER WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES - SAVE YOUR SIGHT! ONE UNGUARDED MOMENT COULD RESULT IN A LIFETIME OF DARKNESS!

roller

Rank 0

Contributor I

Box Elder, SD, USA
First Name
Roller
Last Name
Angel
Thanks for the tips. Bungee cords are dangerous I agree. I've been whipped by them a few times and now I just avoid them.

Your article has a typo.
It says:
This type of hazard can be unavoidable in most cases by properly donning a ballistic style type safety goggle or other preferred protective eyewear.

It should say:
This type of hazard can be avoidable in most cases by properly donning a ballistic style type safety goggle or other preferred protective eyewear.

LB_BLueVue

Rank I

Contributor III

Altadena, CA
First Name
Steeve
Last Name
Vajk
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BSN
Fun fact: you can get safety glasses that are "lensed" like reading glasses.
Great for working in close quarters when your eyes aren't able to focus as closely as they used to... :grinning:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Bungies will rip right past glasses anyways.

Use ratchet straps instead.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

On topic but off topic too.

10 years ago I was horrendously near sighted, -9.5 and -11.5. I decided on Lasik Surgery. Ended up 20/20 both eyes. My surgeon told me after the operation he used lenses with UV protection. He said I might want sunglasses if it was bright but I'd never need sunglasses for UV protection. Right on.

Reactions: Jeepin It Simple

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
I wanted to bring this back up because it's really important. Was now a few days away from keyboard and even now I can not sit long in front of the computer. A few days ago I got a severe eye injury of the left eye. But it is getting better and healing well without any longterm problems at it looks like.

What happened? While lifting a floor board into a van, the corner caught my glasses (I am eyeglass wearer) and pushed them away and then the board went right into my eye.This is not necessarily the classic situation where you think of safety googles, but it shows once again how important working safety is. So think saftey, please!

Reactions: John Bishop

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
a lot of folk dont like wearing safety glasses, but if they are comfortable and fit well, its a lot less of a pain. i spent many years out on drill rigs in the Gulf and we had to wear safety glasses any time we were out of the living quarters...which was 80% of the time.
i went to safetyglassesusa and tried several different brands until eventually coming across the smith and wesson brand. i tried a pair of the 38 special and have been wearing them for over 20 yrs. i got to where i just wear them all the time...i dont even go outside the house without throwing them on. i just got used to wearing them and i'm always working around the house...chainsawing, weed eating, pressure washing something, etc and since it is usually really bright and sunny here, having them double as shades is great.

i even wear them hiking. i've had quite a few branches and stuff hit me in the face while hiking and im sure wearing the glasses helped from getting a springy branch in the eye
i have tried the yellow and red lenses and liked them. if doing construction work indoors or driving in hazy weather, the yellow lenses help

1642354784017.png

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Bad news is I've been to the emergency room 3 times for metal in my eye, good news is I had on safety glasses all 3 times. LOL. Now, having said that, a face shield is highly recommended when grinding.
I now wear wrap around style glasses as opposed to the old school grandfather government issue 1955 style with the side guards. LMAO.
Joking aside, PPE up and be safe out there.
Zim
glasses.JPG

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Been through the same, 3 times, always lucky. Being a safety officer at work made me quite sensitive with wearing ppe in private.
Most of our senses are easy to damage and hard to repair, what is gone doesn't come back most of the time.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Lots of good options.

I have prescription safety glasses from WileyX as well as safety glasses with readers built it. If I need to wear my normal glasses, I have a Kask helmet with flip down visor (very much a Power Ranger vibe).

Any time you are cutting metal, it is wise to wear safety glasses and ANSI rated face shield. I work in construction safety, and that is a requirement.

Never a bad idea to have ear plugs too. Once it is gone, it is gone. You won’t notice until it has progressed significantly.
Ear plugs PLEASE! I can attest to how much tinnitus SUX. No fun to try going to sleep in a silent campsite with constant ringing and ticking sounds you can’t get rid of.