Explorer Build Thread

• HTML tutorial

Explorer03

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
Hey all!

I am new to the community but I am really enjoying learning more about overlanding. I am currently working on a build with a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4 with 60k miles on the odometer. My vehicle has a 2 inch lift up front and a 4 inch lift in the rear to combat leaf spring sag and cargo area weight. Tires are 265/75/16 BFG KO2s.

I have just begun the process of building a simple platform bed that can hold enough storage underneath for our necessities but allow us to sleep in the truck at night. Below are a couple pictures showing how it sits right now as well as a video detailing the project if you would like to check that out too. Overall I am happy with the results and it will function how we need it for our small trips. There are a few additional things I intend to do in the near future, like covering the top pieces in carpet and reworking the cargo net on the roof. Right now its just temporarily there as a place to stash fishing rods. Any suggestions or advice are welcome as I am still early in the planning stages!

upload_2018-9-20_12-36-53.jpeg

upload_2018-9-20_12-37-2.jpeg

upload_2018-9-20_12-37-8.jpeg

Explorer03

Rank 0

Traveler I

US
Drawers are the future plan but I might not get around to it until spring. I'd like to get a quick and easy setup going for now so I can get out there soon. The short term plan is to just get some long plastic bins from Walmart to hold recover items/cooking/camping gear.