Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I'm just gonna put this out there and hopefully begin a worthwhile conversation. I use paper maps when off the pavement, exclusively. I use google maps to find things when on pavement. I've experimented with different apps for back country travel and found that, for me, it takes away from the exploratory experience. It's OK to get lost occasionally. It's a good thing to rely on "seat of the pants" navigation. In fact, my partner and I find it to be quite exhilarating to find our way using maps and old fashioned "dead reckoning". It's a lot more fun for us when we come to a fork in the road, we take it, see where it leads and keep on going. More often than not a pleasant surprise awaits us. It may be a spectacular view, or the perfect campsite. Perfectly planned trips? Only when we must have reservations and we most always go to the reserved sites for the first leg of our journeys. After that? Seat of the pants, dead reckoning and paper maps. Thanks for all the feedback -- peace out !!

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I do typically carry paper maps but find myself more reliant on electronic means these days - seems to fit my work flow better. Before an adventure I will scrub electronic maps, etc., and create tracks for our intended route(s) - including side and backup routes. Before heading out the door I will upload the data to at least three GPS units that I carry - for backup/contingency and because each one has its strengths/weaknesses - I switch between them depending upon what the situation calls for. I really enjoy dead reckoning and believe that it is a skill that everybody who heads off of the beaten track needs. But this just seems to work best for me.

My wife drives a stock LX470 - the boy and I have dreams of turning it into an overland vehicle for him :)

Reactions: JKel and tundra21

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Right on with the 470, that is yet another great Toyota platform to work with. The first time we went out to Moab, I watched every video I could find, read numerous trail reports, and even had several early map downloads on my devices. Once we arrived and began to explore, the most valuable resource we had was a guidebook, and the paper maps. We were in the region for 3 weeks and the only reason we did not allow ourselves to get completely lost was my work schedule. Now that I'm retired there is no schedule. I'm thinking that must be the difference and what makes getting lost a luxury. The luxury being actually having an adventure and not really knowing what is around the next bend. If everything is laid out for us doesn't that take away from the adventure?

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Right on with the 470, that is yet another great Toyota platform to work with. The first time we went out to Moab, I watched every video I could find, read numerous trail reports, and even had several early map downloads on my devices. Once we arrived and began to explore, the most valuable resource we had was a guidebook, and the paper maps. We were in the region for 3 weeks and the only reason we did not allow ourselves to get completely lost was my work schedule. Now that I'm retired there is no schedule. I'm thinking that must be the difference and what makes getting lost a luxury. The luxury being actually having an adventure and not really knowing what is around the next bend. If everything is laid out for us doesn't that take away from the adventure?
When I get to retire I'll enjoy the luxury of getting lost - I really do look forward to that! My group of camping buddies all have work/home responsibilities and we all come from different areas (WA, OR, CA, TX) so some bit of pre-knowledge is required so we know where to meet and get home on time (so that we get to do it again next year). I am a self acclaimed cartography geek so really enjoy looking for the next adventure; sharing that data with the group helps build excitement as well. Hmmm, maybe I'll try relying a little more on paper charts next time I head out.

Have a great day and enjoy retirement!

Reactions: Denver6161 and MOAK

avgjoe624

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fayetteville, NC, USA
Member #

For me it all depends on the trip. If i see a place and think "i want to go there" then ill use google maps or my handheld garmin to take me there. If i feel like waking up that day and going exploring, then its just me and the Jeep and wherever the road takes me, which is usually some pretty cool places often full of some pretty amazing people.

Reactions: MOAK and Ubiety

BLKrob

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

I think you have the right attitude. After all "outfit and explore", right? I, like many others I am also occupied with other aspects of my life to just get lost. But if you feel the call, if the wind is blowing'... you get the idea. Also, map reading, albeit simple, is a lost art so I appreciate you approach. And if it comes to terrain not scouted or sized up, you can always try to find some friendly locals or just park and take a walk...... thanks for the inspiration......... I think I'm gonna go by a Map:relieved:

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I think there’s two parts to your post here @MOAK , one about how and what you do/read/see in preparing for a trip. Second is the tools used in navigating your travels and how those tools affect your trip. The elements involved in what makes a good, or successful, trip to me are Adventure, Experience and Discovery imho.

You need to balance your planning, prep and research. Overplan and over research and you may not get that adventure feeling and may merely be checking off sites or trails. Under prepare or under research and you could easily miss a lot of cool things, have trouble finding trails and camp areas and/or double over places you’ve been before.

I do a lot of research now and plan a little bit whereas before we used to have zero plans and would figure it out as we go. But in my research and planning I’ve made a few rules. 1. No Youtube (video) of the area I plan to visit mainly because in this day and age, videos are so real looking it can spoil your experiences when YOU actually get there. 2. It’s ok to make a route on Gaia etc. before departing, but don’t bury your attention following that little line on your tablet as you are driving.3. I try to use a gps mapping program (Gaia and Earthmate) as a map but not a guide. It can give you more info than a paper map at times, and that’s why I like them, but can also give you too much info that is not needed, especially in the moment of travel and exploring. So I just try to keep my paper maps handy and keep a gps app handy to locate me and trails.

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So I always have a paper map and a compass when I go out. I will use g-maps and G-Earth to look at the planned route. I do this to get a basic birds eye view of what to expect. However, I also have my garmin hand held with me as well as a SPOT. I not only enjoy overlanding, but backpacking as well. I feel that using paper is good and should be a required skill. But I always save a pin of where camp is, or where I parked the truck. You never know when a storm, injury, or just getting turned around can happen. If there is a serious injury I will have exact coordinates to provide and minutes can save a life. I guess my training says to have redundancies when it come to the things that may be depended on to preserve life.