Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

I wanted to start a thread for those who have the idea or can share their experiences with importing rigs from out of their countries. The experience, process and success can vary greatly depending how its done and where you live. I happen to live in one of the most difficult states in the US to import cars into but its not impossible.
Before Importing Suggestions:
1. Calculate all costs that you can find then add 20 %- 30% for the unexpected
2. Get an inspection before you buy
3. Make sure the model, year, engine is as original as possible
4. Do your homework! Federal and State agencies have different requirements
Suggestions for CA DMV:
1. Know the regulations, print them out and bring them with you.
2. Be nice, really nice and you might find others that emphasize and will help you more then you expect.
3. Don't argue with them often you will know more then they will. I was told over and over that I'd need a SMOG cert for a 1979 Diesel... CA for imports they start the requirement at 1980 (Domestic is 1997+)
4. Just because you are told you need something by one agent doesn't mean you actually need it. Like the SMOG which was never flagged in the system as the agent processes your title the system will tell them what you need.
5. Trip permit! CA charges $15 get one bring the rig with you, for the VIN verification (Clean all VIN, Plates, Stickers)
6. Insurance often you can get classic insurance for much less then traditional insurance and they know how to deal with non-conforming VIN#.
7. Very likely you will need to make more then one trip to the DMV often times you will not get the last title or plates, DMV will require a title bond (3 year insurance $100)
8. If you decide to work on your rig before registering remember CA starts charging registration day of entry into CA! Found this out the hard way!
Work arounds:
1. Title Companies: they can provide you a state title of your choice (keep in mind sales tax will be charged)
2. Register out of your state, receive title then process locally
3. Some rigs may qualify for RV status this can save insurance and registration and emission costs.

So far I have been successful with 1979 Toyota HJ45 Troopy and HJ70 RHD (AUS imports) Hope to hear more advice experiences, tips and tricks!

Reactions: Mike G and NW David

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

We looked at importing recent year models from Canada. These are all US DOT and EPA legal for current requirements so the process is fairly easy. I think the import tax was far less than what you were able to save from the currency conversion.

I think for older models you can save quite a bit of money by doing it yourself over using an import company but it's a lot more work.

Reactions: NW David and 1derer

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Yeah I would dare try to import something less then 25 years old non-conforming DOT - EPA there are people that do it but wow what a PITA!

theick

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Las Vegas
Member #

Yeah I would dare try to import something less then 25 years old non-conforming DOT - EPA there are people that do it but wow what a PITA!
There were some Defenders that got crushed last year because a less than honest import company was bringing them in and then changing the year to be legal. The new owners were a little surprised when they were impounded and crushed.

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

i was looking into importing a Ford Focus TDCI from the EU/JD markets recently. it was a nightmare!

one thing i did manage to find out is you may not be able to import it at all as a vehicle due to EPA, mandatory RH to LH drive conversions and other ridiculous regulations. you shoulda seen the peoples faces when i told them i wanted to import a ford from europe lmao. but that focus gets 60mpg!

the workaround for a few of them ended up being "Collector Vehicle" but that had its own set of challenges. $$$

that said. where theres a will theres a way!

Reactions: 1derer

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

i was looking into importing a Ford Focus TDCI from the EU/JD markets recently. it was a nightmare!

one thing i did manage to find out is you may not be able to import it at all as a vehicle due to EPA, mandatory RH to LH drive conversions and other ridiculous regulations. you shoulda seen the peoples faces when i told them i wanted to import a ford from europe lmao. but that focus gets 60mpg!

the workaround for a few of them ended up being "Collector Vehicle" but that had its own set of challenges. $$$

that said. where theres a will theres a way!
Interesting, there is no restriction on RHD in USA that I am aware of, allowance for service vehicles, postal service, etc...

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

Interesting, there is no restriction on RHD in USA that I am aware of, allowance for service vehicles, postal service, etc...
It was a major hiccup when i was looking into the focus. i really wanted a RH drive for some reason. finding those RH postal jeeps anymore is a challenge enough. the customs agent i spoke to (mind you this was 2013/2014 timeframe so i am paraphrasing for sure) also told me the newer models are actually left handers converted to RHD specially permitted by the DOT (which i did not cross check) so, i inevitably ended up with a good ol USDM Jetta MKIV GLS TDI but i still wish i had the RHD Focus TDCI, lol

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Very interesting I wonder if that is just because of the 25 year limit in requiring DOT compliance? I have two RHD Land Cruisers and have a friend that has a few as well. I personally like RHD its nice makes parking a breeze not to mention on busy streets you get off on the curb. Drive throughs are tough and you really do need automated toll device for bridges.

Reactions: NW David

NW David

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gig Harbor, WA
Member #

PM'd you =D

Edit: so yea after some retrospective thoughts. I realized I wanted the RH Drive simply to irritate my gate guard buddies who would have to walk around to verify my ID. But that all went to the wayside after the cost of the car and importing it was Double the cost of the USDM focus, though there are no TDCI focus' here [emoji24]

Last edited: