Expedition Package Testing and What is it ?! | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Expedition Package Testing and What is it ?!

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

K12

Rank IV
Expedition
Adventure

Enthusiast III

Middleton, Canyon County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Thank you for adding me. I am having trouble downloading any offline maps. Tells me that I do not have enough space, try deleting downloaded maps. I also cannot seem to adjust the size of the download region, it ssays to use pinch to zoom in and out, but that does not change the size. (im not very techy so I might be missing something).

K12

Reactions: El-Dracho

OverlandRS

Rank IV
Adventure

Member III

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
TJ
Last Name
LoMac
Member #

QUESTION: With offline maps and track downloads am I going to need a new phone/tablet with more memory? Since I don't typically download music/tv/movies I always just get the base amount of memory on my iPhone. I am in the market for a new tablet right now. I plan to use the tablet for navigation and occasional web surfing when I need to see small print or details so will a zoom compatibility be available on the new app features? If so I can use a smaller and cheaper tablet.

ryno9562

Rank VI
Expedition

Influencer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

What about the ability to import GPX files from outside sources? Is this something coming down the pipeline soon? I think this would be a great feature to add. That's one thing I like about Gaia GPS.

Reactions: Wranglervirus

El-Dracho

Mid Europe Member Rep Germany
Expedition
Supporter

World Traveler II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
What about the ability to import GPX files from outside sources? Is this something coming down the pipeline soon? I think this would be a great feature to add. That's one thing I like about Gaia GPS.
When you add a new location to the map and choose ofrroad trail as type you could upload a gpx track. Is that the feature what you are looking for?

Attachments

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor
Expedition

Advocate III

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
GPX import has been a thing since the beginning of OB1 app.

M Rose

Benefactor
Expedition

Advocate III

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
QUESTION: With offline maps and track downloads am I going to need a new phone/tablet with more memory? Since I don't typically download music/tv/movies I always just get the base amount of memory on my iPhone. I am in the market for a new tablet right now. I plan to use the tablet for navigation and occasional web surfing when I need to see small print or details so will a zoom compatibility be available on the new app features? If so I can use a smaller and cheaper tablet.
Depends on how much content you download. Right now OB1 isn’t optimized for tablet use (coming, but not quite there yet). As for screen size in general… just make sure it’s either Android or IOS.

Reactions: Dusther210

El-Dracho

Expedition
Supporter

World Traveler II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
First of all, as always, thank you for your good work.

In the Expedition beta version I noticed today that the offline map download does not work. It worked perfectly when ttied last time. Now I get an error message "Limit has been reached.... Zoomlevel 0 to 3 could not be downloaded... something like that. Looks similar to what was reported here before a couple of days ago, right?

What could be the reason for this?

Thanks
Björn

Reactions: K12

El-Dracho

Expedition
Supporter

World Traveler II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
I am still thrilled with the app and the navigation features. The operation is simple and super intuitive. The maps are very detailed. Exactly what we need on the road.

One small thing (that can be solved quickly, I guess) I noticed: in landscape mode, the compass rose is partially below the download button in the upper right corner of the map display.

And a little question: for when it is planned to get more options for different POIs such as ferryports, shipping agents, veterinarians, bordercontrols, checkpoints, car insurance agents and so on, please?

Thank you!

Bjoern

Reactions: M Rose

Ahoward2k

Rank VI
Expedition
Adventure

Steward I

Fort worth, Texas
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Ham Callsign
AI5FK
Service Branch
Army retired
I'm having the same problem downloading offline maps

Reactions: K12

K12

Rank IV
Expedition
Adventure

Enthusiast III

Middleton, Canyon County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
First of all, as always, thank you for your good work.

In the Expedition beta version I noticed today that the offline map download does not work. It worked perfectly when ttied last time. Now I get an error message "Limit has been reached.... Zoomlevel 0 to 3 could not be downloaded... something like that. Looks similar to what was reported here before a couple of days ago, right?

What could be the reason for this?

Thanks
Björn
Having this same problem.

M Rose

Benefactor
Expedition

Advocate III

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Getting a timed out error when trying to download offline maps.

trying to reproduce the steps and it worked just fine… idk

El-Dracho

Expedition
Supporter

World Traveler II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
It's really great to see how this app is being developed. Great!

I have also tested the recording function for a track today. I find the function very intuitive, excellent work. Also, the blue line that is drawn is very good to follow how the track is recorded. However, when I wanted to save the track, I got the message "Unable to parse gpx data [...]". But it seems to me that it was then saved after all, because I got an information message that it was now ready for review. The photo function to add pictures seems to be functionless in the test version, right?
Hi,

I have now also tried the recording of a track again.

First of all, this is also really very intuitive and easy to use. Very good. Adding a photo works also now. Thanks.

There are two things I noticed:

The timer counts only when the OB1 app is displayed and not when I switch to other app in between.

After finishing the recording I got again the error message "Unable to parse gpx data". Saving the track was still possible. Can someone please check this? The track in question is saved as testtrack1BE and can then be deleted again. Thanks!

Greetings, Björn

GrayStone Ghost Rider

Rank II
Expedition

Traveler III

Tempe, Arizona
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Gray
Member #

I have tried to add a location to the resource map, both on my home computer ( Window 10) and my cell phone (Android 11 - Samson Galaxy A71 5G) I tried my cell phone several months ago and my home computer Nov, 6th 2021. Is this feature not working or am I doing something wrong?

Never mind it showed up on my cell phone map. :grinning:

Reactions: Michael

Wranglervirus

Member rep North/East Europe
Expedition
Adventure

Advocate II

Žuvų gatvė 9-2, Šakiai, 47412 Lithuania
First Name
Tomas
Last Name
Karlonas
Member #

Hi,

I think for user in EU and some other countries neede to add metric like Speed km/h instead mph; Altitude in meter insetad of FT and pace instead of min/mi km/h
I love the graphics of a maps;

just starting to test it and mean while can't wait to see how does trail recording work;

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500
Expedition

Guardian III

Humboldt County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
@Wranglervirus

I got your GPX test!

Let me know how it worked out. The MOST recent version of the app (which I don't believe you have access to), will show the GPX immediately. I believe your version needs to be approved first.

Anyway - let me know how everything worked our! Thanks!

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500
Expedition

Guardian III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hi,

I think for user in EU and some other countries neede to add metric like Speed km/h instead mph; Altitude in meter insetad of FT and pace instead of min/mi km/h
I love the graphics of a maps;

just starting to test it and mean while can't wait to see how does trail recording work;
Yes!

We should get the units from the operating system - so we display whatever you traditionally use. Perhaps the option to override. Great suggestion.

Reactions: Wranglervirus

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500
Expedition

Guardian III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Picture of the errors i am getting on android 11. OB1 versions 11.0.3.1021
Do you have plenty of space on your phone? This is actually a fairly generic message and any number of things may have gone wrong - including internet timeout, space etc. We are improving messaging. These downloads are about 75 to 150 MB

Let me know!