Expedition Package Testing and What is it ?! | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Expedition Package Testing and What is it ?!

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

reaver

Rank V
Expedition

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Yeah I'm not seeing that button at all on mine.
Are you on Android or iOs? If on Android, Uninstaller the app, go into your app info for Google play, and clear the cache. That should allow you to install the latest version. Then relaunch the app, and see if the download button appears.

Reactions: Ahoward2k

Ahoward2k

Rank IV
Expedition
Adventure

Educator I

Fort worth, Texas
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
Army retired
Yeah I'm not seeing that button at all on mine.
Are you on Android or iOs? If on Android, Uninstaller the app, go into your app info for Google play, and clear the cache. That should allow you to install the latest version. Then relaunch the app, and see if the download button appears.
Thanks will do.
I'm on Android

Reactions: reaver

Ahoward2k

Rank IV
Expedition
Adventure

Educator I

Fort worth, Texas
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Howard
Member #

Service Branch
Army retired
OK I'm not getting into expedition mode. I might still need to be added. I got the email about flight test but I'm Android.

Reactions: Michael

BCNP4runner

Rank V
Expedition

Member III

Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham Callsign
KI5FGO / WRFH471
Press the download icon button, enter map name, then select the area of interest for download. In other words, just fallow the prompts.
Does this mean "adventure tier" members can't use OB1 maps when there's no cell coverage?

I live in New Mexico - there are places between here and the grocery store where there's no cell service! :laughing:

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Expedition
Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Does this mean "adventure tier" members can't use OB1 maps when there's no cell coverage?

I live in New Mexico - there are places between here and the grocery store where there's no cell service! :laughing:
Correct… from my understanding that is the main difference between Adventure and Expedition tiers.

ryno9562

Rank V
Expedition

Explorer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

OK - everyone has been added to the Expedition group and should be able to record tracks if you have the right build. The build will be 10.6.something.

Let me know if you have trouble.

M
I cannot record tracks nor download. It tells me expedition tier feature only.

ryno9562

Rank V
Expedition

Explorer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Hey all, OB1 v11.0.0 is live in the app stores. That’s the lates version. Get it! Look in your user profile in app. You should see “Expedition”. If you do not, let me know here and I will add you!

M
I don't see expedition on my profile. When I click the link to sign up as a tester it says I'm already signed up but I'm not seeing any features outside the normal app features.

K12

Rank IV
Expedition
Adventure

Contributor III

Middleton, Canyon County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Hey all, OB1 v11.0.0 is live in the app stores. That’s the lates version. Get it! Look in your user profile in app. You should see “Expedition”. If you do not, let me know here and I will add you!

M
@Michael is anyone open to the test group or only select people? If anyone can be a part would you mind adding me in as well?

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Expedition
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Humboldt County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all - just added a bunch of folks from this thread to Expedition Mode. Here's what you can do - and what we would love to have feedback on!

What you should know if you join the test group:
1. Please provide a little feedback.
2. The group will be deleted eventually.
3. Software will be Beta - issues are expected.

We are getting close to rolling out our Expedition Package for the OB1 app (August?). The Expedition package includes...

Expedition Mode:

1. Offline Mode - the app will recognize when it is offline and put it in "Offline Mode" so that map navigation and offline maps are still accessible.
2. Offline Maps - The ability to download offline maps from the main map, from Rally Point Announcements, and from trail details pages.
3. Track Recording - Record your tracks and save as personal, or public tracks. This includes a bunch of data and telemetry recording.
4. Save Offline - Save points of interest and GPX recordings while offline (will upload later).
5. Download and share GPX - easily download and share GPX files.
6. 3 word lookup offline - every3 meter location on Earth has been assigned a three word combo. This means instead of saying GPS coordinates like this, "Three seven dot six two six nine comma negative one two one dot five four six six" you can simple say "evolution meadows twig" and get the location in our app within 10 feet. There is more to it than that, but that's basically it.

Feel free to comment here - if you have a great feature idea - post it here: Community Feature Priority for Overland Bound One

On the "Give Feedback" tab!

Reactions: M Rose

ryno9562

Rank V
Expedition

Explorer I

Cayce, SC, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Heath
Member #

@Michael thank you for updating this. This being said, are we supposed to be able to download our own GPX tracks or is this a feature that is still in development?

genocache

Rank V

Advocate II

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Michael, In Expedition mode, will only the 3 word coordinate system be available? I mean if I am at evolution.meadows.twig it is difficult to tell which direction twig.evolution.meadows is. Nor can you tell how far it might be. With Lat/Long it can be figured out by the numbers. I love the 3 word coordinate system, it is good for pinpointing a location, I have not used it for navigation.

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Expedition
Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Michael thank you for updating this. This being said, are we supposed to be able to download our own GPX tracks or is this a feature that is still in development?
Yes you can download your GPX track as well as those from other creators… I believe this feature has been available before the “Adventure Tier” was even started.
Michael, In Expedition mode, will only the 3 word coordinate system be available? I mean if I am at evolution.meadows.twig it is difficult to tell which direction twig.evolution.meadows is. Nor can you tell how far it might be. With Lat/Long it can be figured out by the numbers. I love the 3 word coordinate system, it is good for pinpointing a location, I have not used it for navigation.
No Three word coordinate system won’t be the only one, you can still use decimal degrees as well.

You can’t tell the distance between evolution.meadows.twig and twig.evolution.meadow because creating routes hasn’t been built yet. Eventually you will see the distance between the two point, elevation differences, and all of the other useful data you’re looking for for trip planning.

Reactions: Jim SoG

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Expedition
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
I also want to add to what @M Rose said - the release coming out today will also record and display your GPX and POI locations immediately without the current 24hr review wait. This is a big convenience improvement. As soon as you record and save your track, expedition Members can download GPX to device or wherever, and let me know if you have any trouble doing this.

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Expedition
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Like @M Rose said - this GPSS will always be available:
1634934222677.png

3 words is supplemental, not a replacement. @genocache also let me know if you would advocate for another location format for other usess - they are pretty easy to add.

Detailed nav, measuring distances etc are coming up - but not in the app yet. If you want immediate info about a location, you can long-press the map and you will get this info (distance from you and elevation). You can also save these temp pin to keep them on the map.

1634934430692.png

genocache

Rank V

Advocate II

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I am most familiar with Degree, minutes, seconds. That kinda looks like degrees, minutes? The one thing about lat and long is you have to be aware to designate the hemisphere, N or S and W or E. That example looks like 37N and the negative 121 would be W. I don't get why the last number set(") is 4 digits in the Lat and only 3 in the Lon.

Is that handicaps.alarmingly.liked ? 37° 30' 59"N 121° 33' 00"W ?

Lastly, I'm no expert, others have vastly more experience than I. but I'm vocal and haven't died from being lost.....................yet ;^)

Reactions: Michael