Expedition Package Testing and What is it ?! | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Expedition Package Testing and What is it ?!

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Expedition
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Humboldt County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
So I've already noticed something I'm not to fond of. I can understand the need to approve public POIs, but if I can't drop a point as I'm driving to revisit later, it would be hard to justify using the app. Is it necessary to approve private POIs? Can we have the ability to just drop them without the need for approval?

Also, and this just may not be implemented yet, is there a way to create routes, or do we have to create them in Gaia or caltopo, and import them?
This will all be done within the next couple releases.

Reactions: reaver

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Expedition
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
It's really great to see how this app is being developed. Great!

I have also tested the recording function for a track today. I find the function very intuitive, excellent work. Also, the blue line that is drawn is very good to follow how the track is recorded. However, when I wanted to save the track, I got the message "Unable to parse gpx data [...]". But it seems to me that it was then saved after all, because I got an information message that it was now ready for review. The photo function to add pictures seems to be functionless in the test version, right?
Hey @El-Dracho , are you an Anderoid 10 or 11 user? Might explain the photo issue.

Reactions: El-Dracho

reaver

Rank V
Expedition

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Another thing that might be a good idea. Instead of using external communities (google groups/etc), why not create a special forum section for bug reports, feature requests, etc, then add the testers to that section? That way there's a dedicated section to provide feedback.

Reactions: Conner Hunt

El-Dracho

Mid Europe Member Rep Germany
Expedition
Supporter

Pathfinder II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
It's really great to see how this app is being developed. Great!

I have also tested the recording function for a track today. I find the function very intuitive, excellent work. Also, the blue line that is drawn is very good to follow how the track is recorded. However, when I wanted to save the track, I got the message "Unable to parse gpx data [...]". But it seems to me that it was then saved after all, because I got an information message that it was now ready for review. The photo function to add pictures seems to be functionless in the test version, right?
Hey @El-Dracho , are you an Anderoid 10 or 11 user? Might explain the photo issue.
Hi @Michael

Just saw you message here as I did not checked the forum frequently the last days because I am on the road and sometimes without cellphone coverage.

I am on Android 11.

Bjoern

Reactions: Michael

El-Dracho

Expedition
Supporter

Pathfinder II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
I was now about two weeks on tour and have used the map again and again. Especially to note interesting POIs that can be helpful and interesting for other overlanders and members. I really have to say, the map of the OB1 app is really great. Very intuitive and easy to use. I think that is exactly the big advantage of the OB 1 app over other navigation apps that have a lot more features and you therefore have to deal with them much more intensively. The OB 1 app has a few basic navigation functions and they are easy and intuitive to use - that's great. I have thought of a few simple ways to improve features. I will try to write them down in the next few days.

cgranier

Rank III
Expedition
Adventure

Pathfinder II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

@Michael I'm on Android and would love to help out testing the Expedition Tier functions. I also have an iPad, so could test both OSs. I've filled out the form from post #1. Let me know if you need to test anything in particular - I seem to have a particular knack for finding bugs, LOL.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Expedition
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael I'm on Android and would love to help out testing the Expedition Tier functions. I also have an iPad, so could test both OSs. I've filled out the form from post #1. Let me know if you need to test anything in particular - I seem to have a particular knack for finding bugs, LOL.
OK fantastic. New build in next few days and I will be posting here.

Reactions: cgranier

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Expedition
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all - the latest test build has expedition mode and you should have access - to many things to list for this release :)

Here are some:
This release is focused on quality of life improvements and too many upgrades to list. Three word navigation has been implemented throughout the UI. Offline Mode, Offline Maps, and track recording are also included in this release, and will be available soon.

Features:
- 3 word location - the simplest way to talk about location
- Bearing follow mode for navigation
- Landscape mode for map
- Face and Touch ID login
- Long-press on map to create and save temp pins
- Show GPX on Map
- Save POI when offline
- Location list while on map
- Shared events and locations open in map
- Save Rally Point filter fixes
- Map location search intelligence
- Expedition and offline mode (not publicly available)

Bug fixes:
- many issues resolved.
- Private trails are searchable by name.
- Push notifications do not go to link
- Map crashes
- Center on my location
- Filter reset button
- Map search not working
- Temp card display
- Camera function
- Many more

Android users (must be in test group): Overland Bound One - Apps on Google Play

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Expedition
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
@Michael Do we delete and reload or will it update? My version is 10.6.1.0731
Jim I think you were part of the test group that uses test flight on iOS? I can’t remember. Anyway, that version is old. You can either update with test flight or if you are android use the link above. Also the bill just got approved by Apple so I’ll be releasing it live and you can update through the App Store very soon. Today or tomorrow.

cgranier

Rank III
Expedition
Adventure

Pathfinder II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

How do we get into the test group? I tried the triple-tap on logo and using my OB1 credentials but that didn't work.

Hey all - the latest test build has expedition mode and you should have access - to many things to list for this release :)

El-Dracho

Expedition
Supporter

Pathfinder II

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE

Here are some:
This release is focused on quality of life improvements and too many upgrades to list. Three word navigation has been implemented throughout the UI. Offline Mode, Offline Maps, and track recording are also included in this release, and will be available soon.

Features:
- 3 word location - the simplest way to talk about location
- Bearing follow mode for navigation
- Landscape mode for map
- Face and Touch ID login
- Long-press on map to create and save temp pins
- Show GPX on Map
- Save POI when offline
- Location list while on map
- Shared events and locations open in map
- Save Rally Point filter fixes
- Map location search intelligence
- Expedition and offline mode (not publicly available)

Bug fixes:
- many issues resolved.
- Private trails are searchable by name.
- Push notifications do not go to link
- Map crashes
- Center on my location
- Filter reset button
- Map search not working
- Temp card display
- Camera function
- Many more

Wow, great work!

What I noticed with the offline save (I have already sent as a support message) is the following: when I open the app next time in online mode, then appears the info (highlighted in blue) that now the offline saved locations are uploaded. A short time later, however, a message appears (highlighted in red) that some offline saved locations could not be uploaded.

This happens since a few days every time I open the OB1 app.

What can I do or what happened? Thanks.

outside.perception

Rank IV
Expedition
Adventure

Member III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
I've installed the APK on Android 11. Doesn't look like my account works with Expedition Tier features yet (no offline mode). I had received the iOS app flighting email, but don't have an iPhone at the moment. Hoping to get to try this out on a trip this weekend.

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Expedition
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all, OB1 v11.0.0 is live in the app stores. That’s the lates version. Get it! Look in your user profile in app. You should see “Expedition”. If you do not, let me know here and I will add you!

M

cgranier

Rank III
Expedition
Adventure

Pathfinder II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Downloaded, but not seeing the Expedition badge yet.

Hey all, OB1 v11.0.0 is live in the app stores. That’s the lates version. Get it! Look in your user profile in app. You should see “Expedition”. If you do not, let me know here and I will add you!

M

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Expedition
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Downloaded, but not seeing the Expedition badge yet.

M
Added!

Reactions: cgranier

outside.perception

Rank IV
Expedition
Adventure

Member III

King County, WA, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Aurich
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS: WREY362
It's there now. But offline downloads aren't working for me. I've tried zooming in and out. Also, on Android it would be nice to select save location so I can use my SD card.