Expedition Package Testing and What is it ?! | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Expedition Package Testing and What is it ?!

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
All good points and will be resolved. Let me address both:

1. Right now you can long-press the map, create a temp pin, and save it. You can go back later and record POIs. HOWEVER, the ability to save POI immediately is currently in development. We know that is a requirement.

2. Recording a track - you should be able to do that in your build! Go to the resource tab of the map, select the “+” button, and select “Record Track”! Let me know if you don’t see it.

reaver

Rank V

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

1. Right now you can long-press the map, create a temp pin, and save it. You can go back later and record POIs. HOWEVER, the ability to save POI immediately is currently in development. We know that is a requirement.

2. Recording a track - you should be able to do that in your build! Go to the resource tab of the map, select the “+” button, and select “Record Track”! Let me know if you don’t see it.
1. Awesome. I look forward trying this out.

2. I'm Talking about drawing a route ahead of time, similar to how Gaia and caltopo allow you to do via the web.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL

1. Awesome. I look forward trying this out.

2. I'm Talking about drawing a route ahead of time, similar to how Gaia and caltopo allow you to do via the web.
Ah, yes, you will be able to do this but that’s a bit further disown the road.

Reactions: reaver

El-Dracho

Mid Europe Member Rep Germany
Supporter

Pioneer I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
First of all, it's great to see how the app is developing. Really great. Thanks for the great work! Great that the navigation part is also becoming more extensive. I have now tried a bit with the new functions. A few observations:
  • The offline mode is great. An almost intuitive operation. A question about the download of the offline map: Can I also drag / zoom in / zoom out the field that shows the outline? Or is it only possible to position the map, then click the button, name the map and then click download?
  • Is that with the display of OB regions also new function? I think that's great, but only works for US unfortunately.
  • Something else struck me with the POIs: If I set filters on waypoints, then even if it is not selected, the POIs to attractions are displayed (this is also so already in the app the case and has in my opinion not necessarily to do with the Exped Package). I also see here sometimes that suddenly after selecting and de-selcting filters, icons are different. For example, a workshop suddenly has the icon for a trailhead. I know that sounds pretty crazy.
  • The different map perspectives (bird's eye view, "from vehicle") are also new, right? Sweet!
  • I also wanted to try the 3 word lookup offline feature. Where can I find the search function for that, please?
I hope these points help a bit to contribute to the app. Thanks as said for the great work! Please keep up the good work!

By the way, it is also great that the app also works in landscape mode in this test. This is really great for tablet users. Will this also go into production with the update?

Cheers, Björn

Last edited:

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Thank you for taking the time the newest build (for test flight folks) also has three word navigation implemented in POI UI.

- current download implementation is designed for ease of use, but really open to feedback. It is simply 1. center map 2. download. Other pinch/zoom/draw adds user complexity, but we could.
- OB regions not new - we should expand.
- I think Attractions is broke - will fix(thank you!) changing icons makes sense - here is why: Sometimes different POI have the same location BUT they also have priority. So highest priority will display. If you tap the map, you should see the card pop up in the scroll list (does your build show multiple summary cards? Latest does.
- Yes - "course mode" is new.
- In the map search you can type in any three word location and the search will find it. In the latest build three word locations are included in summary and detail POI cards. Three words is avail in all languages, so we should implement that too.

Thank you!

Reactions: El-Dracho

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Oh - all - realized I cant give access to latest - it will break your build.

M Rose

US Northwest Region Director
Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
So I've already noticed something I'm not to fond of. I can understand the need to approve public POIs, but if I can't drop a point as I'm driving to revisit later, it would be hard to justify using the app. Is it necessary to approve private POIs? Can we have the ability to just drop them without the need for approval?

Also, and this just may not be implemented yet, is there a way to create routes, or do we have to create them in Gaia or caltopo, and import them?
Right now GPX routes have to be imported from another application. This is going to be fixed at a later date… once the route is uploaded to OB1 you can navigate the route.

POIs:
You can drop pins by pressing on your current location and then select “Save” and the location will be private until you add the location publicly.

Screen Tutorial for POI
Under the Map choose resources to view the whole map. And select the map filters you want to see then check apply.
432B4DF9-74DA-445C-A5EB-3264F7F12A27.jpeg
B5BF24A6-E86E-4CAB-8B0F-F3CBBFA83A8E.jpeg
Now we are ready to start adding POIs.
On the main map use a long press to drop your first pin.
87C1EAA0-DB35-41B7-9650-7B65C3C99311.png
click save and then swipe the drop down box down to close.
92380832-26B5-4FB9-9633-17F8832CF7CE.jpeg
Next use another long press at the next POI and fallow the previous steps to add your next (and subsequent (POIs).
A99926D0-905D-41CD-850F-CA5F3F0AB4C1.png

To Remove temp POIs:
Select the POI you wish to delete and then select Remove from the drop down information box.
9D0C6B5F-A8BB-4A07-8DD0-717FBCD73780.png
To remove all temp POIs select remove all and fallow on screen prompts.

Billiebob

Rank V

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I' m a paper guy. everything on the thread confirms I'll always be a paper guy.

koot-coveragemap.jpg

El-Dracho

Supporter

Pioneer I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
Thank you for taking the time the newest build (for test flight folks) also has three word navigation implemented in POI UI.

- current download implementation is designed for ease of use, but really open to feedback. It is simply 1. center map 2. download. Other pinch/zoom/draw adds user complexity, but we could.
- OB regions not new - we should expand.
- I think Attractions is broke - will fix(thank you!) changing icons makes sense - here is why: Sometimes different POI have the same location BUT they also have priority. So highest priority will display. If you tap the map, you should see the card pop up in the scroll list (does your build show multiple summary cards? Latest does.
- Yes - "course mode" is new.
- In the map search you can type in any three word location and the search will find it. In the latest build three word locations are included in summary and detail POI cards. Three words is avail in all languages, so we should implement that too.

Thank you!
Thanks a lot for your detailled answer!
  • I thought again about the download function for the map. It is good that such a simple variant was implemented without high user complexity. Especially on the road, such a tool should be easy to use. Very good.
  • Yes, it would be great if the display of regions was expanded. But it's more of a nice to have and certainly not at the top of the priority list.
  • Regarding the three word lookup: Where can I find the map search, please?
Thanks again for expanding and improving the app and the functionalities here. Great job!

Bjoern

reaver

Rank V

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I was out and about over the weekend, and attempted to record a track.

A couple of things I noticed...

1. Other than the record indicator at the bottom, there's no indication that it's recording. There's no track that displays where I've currently been.

2. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I can't get the screen to go to my current location, or follow me. I got it to do that once, but that's it.

M Rose

Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

1. Other than the record indicator at the bottom, there's no indication that it's recording. There's no track that displays where I've currently been.

2. I'm not sure if this is a bug, but I can't get the screen to go to my current location, or follow me. I got it to do that once, but that's it.
I don’t think recoding of tracks is implemented yet Brian. It wasn’t available in the alpha test.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Supporter
Adventure

Pathfinder III

Fernley, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV

I don’t think recoding of tracks is implemented yet Brian. It wasn’t available in the alpha test.
I recorded a track, saved it and it did place a yellow line as the track on the map, this also allowed me to follow it after it was saved…..
I also have. Ot had issues of it not centering on my position.

I am using the “test” version of the app, the normal version may not have this ability yet, coming very soon though.

M Rose

Benefactor

Explorer I

La Grande, Oregon, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham Callsign
KJ7MFV
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I recorded a track, saved it and it did place a yellow line as the track on the map, this also allowed me to follow it after it was saved…..

I am using the “test” version of the app, the normal version may not have this ability yet, coming very soon though.
You’re correct Jim, I’ll try it again tomorrow when I go for my 30 mile bicycle ride.

reaver

Rank V

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941

I have the android test version as well.

El-Dracho

Supporter

Pioneer I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
It's really great to see how this app is being developed. Great!

I have also tested the recording function for a track today. I find the function very intuitive, excellent work. Also, the blue line that is drawn is very good to follow how the track is recorded. However, when I wanted to save the track, I got the message "Unable to parse gpx data [...]". But it seems to me that it was then saved after all, because I got an information message that it was now ready for review. The photo function to add pictures seems to be functionless in the test version, right?

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Dublin, CA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hi guys - thank you all for the feedback.

Photos should work. Are you on iOS or android?

Regarding the blue line - we have done A LOT of iteration on this, and when the next build is available, you should see more predictable results.
We have done so many improvements on the dev branch, that it is likely you guys will see some issues against prod (in the app you have). I will keep you posted regarding updates as they are available.