Expedition Package Testing and What is it ?! | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

Expedition Package Testing and What is it ?!

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

Alameda County, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hey all,

Thanks in advance for any feedback you provide. I know what I want in in terms of offline capability, but I'm a sample set of one. We are building OB1 and Expedition features because we are not satisficed with what's out there, so I want to hear from you and what you are looking for in terms of features and ease of use

What you should know if you join the test group:
1. Please provide a little feedback.
2. The group will be deleted eventually.
3. Software will be Beta - issues are expected.
4. To resume "normal" OB1 app use, delete the TestFlight build and Re-install from the app store.

We are getting close to rolling out our Expedition Package for the OB1 app (August?). The Expedition package includes...

Expedition Mode:

1. Offline Mode - the app will recognize when it is offline and put it in "Offline Mode" so that map navigation and offline maps are still accessible.
2. Offline Maps - The ability to download offline maps from the main map, from Rally Point Announcements, and from trail details pages.
3. Track Recording - Record your tracks and save as personal, or public tracks. This includes a bunch of data and telemetry recording.
4. Save Offline - Save points of interest and GPX recordings while offline (will upload later).
5. Download and share GPX - easily download and share GPX files.
6. 3 word lookup offline - every3 meter location on Earth has been assigned a three word combo. This means instead of saying GPS coordinates like this, "Three seven dot six two six nine comma negative one two one dot five four six six" you can simple say "evolution meadows twig" and get the location in our app within 10 feet. There is more to it than that, but that's basically it.

To sign up, fill this out (I'm unable to check this regularly unfortunately, but will get to it as often as I can): Google Forms - create and analyze surveys, for free.

Instead of providing a long tutorial, I'll answer questions as they com up - hopefully its intuitive, but probably isn't, so I'd like to see where you get hung up!

genocache

Rank V

Advocate II

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Hi Michael,

I like the 3 word co-ordinate system, it is fun and very accurate. I've never used it for doing any route planning.

As for the rest of the OB1 stuff, I think my Garmin already covers all that. I'm not a big smart phone guy, got my first one last year, and with my Garmin I don't see the need for phone navigation or a tablet with Gaia.

School me up if I am misinformed.

I do appreciate your efforts at making a community and easing the use of online tools. I wish Garmin would follow suite.

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Hi Michael,

I like the 3 word co-ordinate system, it is fun and very accurate. I've never used it for doing any route planning.

As for the rest of the OB1 stuff, I think my Garmin already covers all that. I'm not a big smart phone guy, got my first one last year, and with my Garmin I don't see the need for phone navigation or a tablet with Gaia.

School me up if I am misinformed.

I do appreciate your efforts at making a community and easing the use of online tools. I wish Garmin would follow suite.
I say, use whatever tools work for you. That's what's important.

reaver

Rank V

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Signed up to test.

I would say, since Google has opened up Android auto to third part apps, if you could find a way to make the map work there (Gaia has just released that functionality) that would be fantastic.

I've not really looked at the mapping functionality in the ob1 app, as it's of no use to me without offline and gpx capabilities, but would LOVE to test it out for you.

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Signed up to test.

I would say, since Google has opened up Android auto to third part apps, if you could find a way to make the map work there (Gaia has just released that functionality) that would be fantastic.

I've not really looked at the mapping functionality in the ob1 app, as it's of no use to me without offline and gpx capabilities, but would LOVE to test it out for you.
Ya that’s a must have. It won’t be MVP, but will be added.

Reactions: reaver

El-Dracho

Mid Europe Member Rep Germany
Supporter

Pioneer I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
Signed up for testing. I am using an old 278 Garmin for years, which is of course very well known for its robustness. On the tablet is ourxmaps my first choice. But I think it's great that there are always new developments in this area and it's great that Overland Bound contributes to it. So I like to test the new functionalities. Great that you involve the users in the test.

@Michael Are there specific test cases? In which form do you best need the feedback, Michael?

Reactions: Michael

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Signed up for testing. I am using an old 278 Garmin for years, which is of course very well known for its robustness. On the tablet is ourxmaps my first choice. But I think it's great that there are always new developments in this area and it's great that Overland Bound contributes to it. So I like to test the new functionalities. Great that you involve the users in the test.

@Michael Are there specific test cases? In which form do you best need the feedback, Michael?
I’ll provide some things to test. Once I set up the test accounts. Bugs are not as important as feature feedback though we do want to hear about them. This is more of a user test and feature request / feedback.

reaver

Rank V

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Hey all - added the latest batch to the iPhone build - Android will be a day or so.

M
Got my invite. Feel free to delete my pm, if you want. I sent that before seeing that the android build is coming in a day or so.

El-Dracho

Supporter

Pioneer I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
Hey all - added the latest batch to the iPhone build - Android will be a day or so.

M
Hi Michael,

Ah, I was just about to ask that. I got the invitation to test, but for the iOS app. I am an Android user. So I'm waiting patiently and will get a new invite, right? Thank you!

Cheers, Björn

El-Dracho

Supporter

Pioneer I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham Callsign
DO3BE
Hey all - Android Build (have to join test program):

Phone Link: Overland Bound One - Apps on Google Play
Web Link: Sign in - Google Accounts

I believe if you do not have a gmail email address, google will tell you to go pound sand. Thanks Googs.

Let me know what issues arise.
Hi Michael,

Thank you. Just tried to login via the weblink. I have a google account. However, google tells me:

If you received an invitation to become a tester, you must sign in to the account that was named in the invitation. If you were invited to Google Groups as part of the program, you must first join the appropriate group if you have not already done so.

With which email address did you create it? With the one from the forum? That probably doesn't work, does it? Should I send you my gmail address?

Bjoern

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
Copy that guys. We’ll if that gets too complicated I’m just going to upload the apk right here. I’ll check in a bit. I used the email you each provided in the form. @reaver your issue is different. You were able to download correct? Can you go to the slide out menu and look at the bottom? What version number do you have?

reaver

Rank V

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I
Copy that guys. We’ll if that gets too complicated I’m just going to upload the apk right here. I’ll check in a bit. I used the email you each provided in the form. @reaver your issue is different. You were able to download correct? Can you go to the slide out menu and look at the bottom? What version number do you have?
I have version 10.5.3.0625, but can't access the Google web link to the android version either.

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
I
I have version 10.5.3.0625, but can't access the Google web link to the android version either.
Ok copy. So that ain’t working. Should be 10.6.Something

Michael

Rank VII
Staff member
Founder 500

Pioneer II

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
OK - everyone has been added to the Expedition group and should be able to record tracks if you have the right build. The build will be 10.6.something.

Let me know if you have trouble.

M

reaver

Rank V

Traveler III

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
So I've already noticed something I'm not to fond of. I can understand the need to approve public POIs, but if I can't drop a point as I'm driving to revisit later, it would be hard to justify using the app. Is it necessary to approve private POIs? Can we have the ability to just drop them without the need for approval?

Also, and this just may not be implemented yet, is there a way to create routes, or do we have to create them in Gaia or caltopo, and import them?