Expected time required for Baja trip?

• HTML tutorial

Rujack

Rank I

Traveler I

I’m trying to figure out some details of a trip to Baja Ca this Christmas. My wife and four year old will be driving from the SF Bay Area to San Jose del Cabo. I’m wondering how much time to factor in for the distance from Mexicali to SJ del Cabo. I don’t want to rush it, but want to know from those who’ve done this trip how much time they took in days, and how many hours/day they drove. I’m also interested in any tips! I’d like to avoid major highways for as much of the trip as possible. Basically looking to strike a balance of scenery, seclusion, and safety. Which I realize is subjective.

Also, any info on how auto insurance will work for this.

Anyway, curious to hear feedback.

Reactions: Kent R

animaloverland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tollhouse, California, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Van Sciver
Member #

I’m trying to figure out some details of a trip to Baja Ca this Christmas. My wife and four year old will be driving from the SF Bay Area to San Jose del Cabo. I’m wondering how much time to factor in for the distance from Mexicali to SJ del Cabo. I don’t want to rush it, but want to know from those who’ve done this trip how much time they took in days, and how many hours/day they drove. I’m also interested in any tips! I’d like to avoid major highways for as much of the trip as possible. Basically looking to strike a balance of scenery, seclusion, and safety. Which I realize is subjective.

Also, any info on how auto insurance will work for this.

Anyway, curious to hear feedback.
Rujack...sorry I don't have any info that far south, but for what its worth. We have done a couple trips to baja over spring break with our two teenage boys. We only went as far as the southern end of Bahia de Concepcion, so not even to Loreto and 12 days each trip was not long enough. We did a couple different trips out to pet the whales (definitely a must do), we brought our 14' Achilles inflatable and did some diving, fishing and general island exploring. We did a number of long trails out to secluded beaches and other cool spots to explore. We live in the bay area, so it is a long haul. We only have that amount of time without the boys missing too much school. We like to take our time and have fun exploring out of the way places, so even 12 days for not very far south felt too rushed for our usual pace...but definitely worth it. We will probably go again in April. I know that's not anywhere near Cabo, but the point is that you will feel rushed and miss out on a lot if you take any less than 3 weeks to go that far south...too much time just driving on the pavement to make miles IMO.
Jason

Reactions: Kent R