Rank III

Enthusiast II

Layton, Utah
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Clark
Member #

New member so sorry about crazy questions. I've been working on making our 01 EXCURSION 6.8l V10 the most functional overland/bug out/ ready for anything we might come across Vehicle. Now i understand she a little large for the every day over land setup. But if push comes to shove shes doing both.
So first question- roof top tent. Whats the best for the dollar and build quality? We are a family of 6 so room is a must. I have a custom roof rack.
Second- recovery gear. Shes a beast and is weighing in at just under 9k. What winch, are max tracks worrh the purchase? Man i could go on for ever. What are some thing that are the most important? Thanks Nick.

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Before you go hog wild with buying tons of accessories just take it out with the family on easy short trips and keep notes on what stuff could make travels more enjoyable, save room , make setup easier . If possible borrow items from friends b4 you purchase it , something may seem like a great idea but in practical application may be almost worthless, remember what works for a 2 person overland rig may not work for your 6 person crew . With 6 people a rtt may be pushing it room wise but I'm sure there's must be options out there . Have fun and post up pics of your family outings !

Reactions: soonersfan

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Welcome aboard.... I built a 2000 diesel excursion back in the day.... as far as suggestions on tent, winch ect. I would first ask what you plan to do suspension wise. A good set of tires and possibly lockers can get you out of situations where a winch would be needed...

as far as a tent goes you wont find 1 tent that will fit all of you guys comfortably... you have enough room on the roof to install 2 tents and that would work to fit all of you guys...

What are the ages of the kids? What bumpers are you planning to install.. I would suggest the WARN 16.5 winch for that size rig...

-Raul

EXCURSIONdad3232

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Layton, Utah
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Raul ,
First suspension is a 4" had it for years and love it. As for tires i run 35" TOYO at2. Next tent we are a large fam but not always together given the oldest don't spend much time with the fam anymore. My oldest girls are 20 and 18 and my son is 8 and my triplets boys are 5. So mostly mom dad and four boys. Now the bumper is in the works, i work for Artec Industries and can fab anything i like. Im going to do front and rear by the end of the year. As for winch thats not cheap or easy. I was thinking one that could be moved to the rear if need. I'm also thinking max tracks could be the answer for the days shes stuck. What has me on edge is her size, getting her stuck = staying a while. Im already equipet with more than enough lights, cb, chipped and tuned, custom roof rack, shovel, ax, first aid , chains and tow straps. I have a drawer system in the rear with a gun vault and tools and cooking gear. Just need the finishing touches. Thanks for your help sorry for long response

Last edited:

Raul B

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kyle, Hays County, Texas, United States
First Name
Raul
Last Name
Banuelos
Member #

Raul ,
First suspension is a 4" had it for years and love it. As for tires i run 35" TOYO at2. Next tent we are a large fam but not always together given the oldest don't spend much time with the fam anymore. My oldest girls are 20 and 18 and my son is 8 and my triplets boys are 5. So mostly mom dad and four boys. Now the bumper is in the works, i work for Artec Industries and can fab anything i like. Im going to do front and rear by the end of the year. As for winch thats not cheap or easy. I was thinking one that could be moved to the rear if need. I'm also thinking max tracks could be the answer for the days shes stuck. What has me on edge is her size, getting her stuck = staying a while. Im already equipet with more than enough lights, cb, chipped and tuned, custom roof rack, shovel, ax, first aid , chains and tow straps. I have a drawer system in the rear with a gun vault and tools and cooking gear. Just need the finishing touches. Thanks for your help sorry for long response
If your looking for a winch that can be moved around ARB makes a cradle that mounts to a 2" receiver hitch.. you would just have to make a front bumper with a receiver hitch and your good to go... def go with the 16.5k winch for that size of a rig.....

post some pictures... would love to see it..

-Raul

Firemedic15

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Jerome, idaho
Member #

I have a warn 16.5 TI and magnum bumper on my 05 6.0 liter Excursion. I wouldn't go with anything else. Also, get a heavy duty accessory kit for the winch, especially a high rated tree strap. We don't use a roof top tent as we sleep inside with just the two of us. We remove our 3rd seat on trips and I have 2 auto inflate roll up mats and we carry 3 sleeping bags. One over the mats and two that zip together. Might be an additional option if you only have one rooftop tent. I am able to get 4 storage boxes (use the list these guys provided to stock them) as well as many other items on my roof rack including two bike racks, high lift jack, shovel, Pulaski and accessory lighting. I'm a high angle rescue paramedic so I also always have my climbing g/rescue gear. I also can carry a large first aid kit, Honda generator, portable BBQ, portable stove and various cooking schtuff. I plan to add another 22" extension and two more cross bars to my rack and also a retractable awning. I am also currently designing a rear tire carrier / fuel and water storage for the rear bumper which will gain me a few more inches inside. I have a viair air compressor with a 5 gallon tank for quick inflation as needed (and train horns just cause). This is my daily driver and mine too is a constant work in progress. The sky is the limit to what you can do with these rigs. Good luck with your build and great job on that rack.

Reactions: vanbuskirk