Europe Regions

• Guest, You can choose a light or dark theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" botton at the very bottom left of this page!

Michael

Rank VI
Staff member
Founder 500
Supporter

Influencer II

Dublin, CA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6YSL
It is time to identify Europe Regions. Please see this post if you would like to understand how we assign regions: Overland Bound Regions

While designing patches for various regions prior to deciding on a method for choosing regions, it became...complicated. We are hoping this smooths the process out a bit, but see above - no method of selecting regions is perfect.

We may create patches and other items on other geographic or political areas such as "Ireland" or "Texas" pending demand, but this will not affect the higher-level regions.

These regions are based on the CIA World Fact Book (many authorities were considered and reviewed):

world_factbook.jpg

While doing our homework, and evaluating all of the options, and various authorities, we have made an adjustment to Mid-Europe.

As always, thank you for being a part of Overland Bound and the growing world-wide community.

Michael

Tim

Rank VI
Benefactor
Supporter

Advocate II

Oxford, UK
Member #

Interesting and I’m not saying it’s wrong but I’ve never really considered Europe to be divided in such a way. Reference to Eastern Europe I’ve heard but not much else. I guess one thing that might change how regions relate to one another is a lack of common language. For example, to my loss, I live in the U.K. but speak very little French.
That said I look forward to seeing how this works out. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

[DO]Ron

Rank VI

Influencer I

Geertruidenberg, the Netherlands
Member #

I think Netherlands was in Mid before and only UK in west? Looking at the map we are more at home at the west europe :) the map looks pretty awesome like that =)
Nice job Michael!

Interesting and I’m not saying it’s wrong but I’ve never really considered Europe to be divided in such a way. Reference to Eastern Europe I’ve heard but not much else. I guess one thing that might change how regions relate to one another is a lack of common language. For example, to my loss, I live in the U.K. but speak very little French.
That said I look forward to seeing how this works out. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
I get what you are saying Tim, but I on a world wide level OB is trying to make things work. The USA is split into region's as well that might or might not be actually tied together.
It is manageble to make patches and stickers for a whole set of regions in the world. If they need to work out patches and things for every country in the world that will be a whole other ball game.

Reactions: blackntan and Tim

nickburt

Rank VI
Supporter

Advocate III

Wallasey, UK
Member #

Good call, but not sure the South East and South split is right, using the geographical theory, Greece is further East than some of the South East countries.
Never going to be easy, given the chunks of water that divide some of the countries.

Scarab

Rank II

Contributor III

Hastings - England
Member #

Well that's an interesting way of doing it. Now those of us in the UK can have convenient meet ups with our neighbours in....Corsica? I wonder how the CIA consider those comparable?
Will make for an interesting patch anyway :D

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500
Supporter

Advocate II

I dont want to be part of West Europe and be in with the UK. I keep nice and dry with Mid Europe.
I have that badge, and will stay there.
Very very dissapointed in this @Michael
It feels like a knife in the back.

The cultural difference between the UK and the Netherlands is so significant that this could mean a big problem.
We dont understand the english and the english dont understand the dutch. We never did, we never will.

I stick to the mid Europe part.
If Iam not allowed to that, I will stop with OB.

blackntan

Rank V

Influencer I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
Member #

I dont want to be part of West Europe and be in with the UK. I keep nice and dry with Mid Europe.
I have that badge, and will stay there.
Very very dissapointed in this @Michael
It feels like a knife in the back.

The cultural difference between the UK and the Netherlands is so significant that this could mean a big problem.
We dont understand the english and the english dont understand the dutch. We never did, we never will.

I stick to the mid Europe part.
If Iam not allowed to that, I will stop with OB.
. I love the dutch The british love holland One of britains closest alies. ROB. i think you are letting your emotions runn away with this i visted the maritime museum in the DAM. many many years ago i seen the old pices of are joint adventures. Even the battles beetween our two nations we are spiting distance apart. And are youth grow closer and closer keep the politics out of it rob , Its a club For 4x4 enthusiasts We have the craic thats all my countrys young men. Back in the dark days of WW 2 relied on your country men. In are times of need , we have had 75 years of peace due to NATO. the dutch being an integral part , ROB. ILL BUY A BADGE WITH A WINDMILL ON IT. CHILL BROTHER

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500
Supporter

Advocate II

I dont go into politics, or history or so. But the enourmous nationalism of the UK, see your Brexit post, makes it impossible to work together.
Our bounds at this moment with the rest of Europe is way stronger, cultural, geographical and language as it is with the UK.
I really think the UK is at this moment by mentality not part of any region of Europe.

Reactions: MazeVX

blackntan

Rank V

Influencer I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
Member #

I dont go into politics, or history or so. But the enourmous nationalism of the UK, see your Brexit post, makes it impossible to work together.
Our bounds at this moment with the rest of Europe is way stronger, cultural, geographical and language as it is with the UK.
I really think the UK is at this moment by mentality not part of any region of Europe.
Think your going over the top here but every one to there own , the mood of of the uk politicaly has nothing to do with this my Post on brexsit was tong in cheek humour ,
Regarding being in the western europe zone of the club if i need to explain humour you carnt under stand ours , Still think a DEFENDER SHOULD BE ON THE BADGE THOUGH

nickburt

Rank VI
Supporter

Advocate III

Wallasey, UK
Member #

Nu, misschien zouden jullie eens de moed, beleefdheid moeten hebben om eens een andere taal te leren.
So true, that's something, we, as British, do not do very well, yet the rest of the World does. Just because English is an international language doesn't mean we should expect everyone else to communicate in English.

nickburt

Rank VI
Supporter

Advocate III

Wallasey, UK
Member #

Ymarferwch yr hyn yr ydych yn ei bregethu
I do try when travelling around - just don't get enough opportunity to practice as much as I would like, so not as good as I would like.
We even resort to using phrase book and dictionary sometimes, so that we are making the effort.
It is quite embarrassing to watch and listen to Brits abroad trying to use English in as many ways possible and getting frustrated that they're not understood. Loader and slower does not work.