Essential gear that you would choose for a first overland trip?

• HTML tutorial

Traveler I

Hello, I am new to overlanding and this is my first post. I am starting to build up my rig (Jeep JKU '15). This summer I plan on taking my first overland trip out West. I plan on following light off road trails but who knows what I may get into.

I don't have access to all the bells and whistles right now since I am new and it's going to take time to get all the ideal upgrades and accessories. So my question is what are the first things you would upgrade or what gear could you not overland without?

I plan on upgrading my tires to All Terrain tires (probably BF Goodrich) and am getting a roof top tent (I know it's not a necessity but RTTs are what drew me into overlanding so it is something I want to get first). Other considerations are a front bumper and winch.

Let me know what you think, thanks!

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
1. Common sense
2. If you don't have common sense read up on how to get it! :)
3. A way to communicate without cell phone if an emergency ever arises.
4. A way to cook food. It could be a $9 stove or $900. Buy what your budget can afford
5. A way to store water. More than you think you will ever need. If you get stuck at least you will have plenty of water.
6. Basic tool kit
7. Basic recovery emergency gear. (Recovery straps, crowbar, tire repair kit, compressor, glow sticks, powerful flashlight, whistle, solar blankets)
8. Basic first aid kit
9. Maps and GPS. Know where you are, where you were going, if you get lost a way to turn around and backtrack.
9.5 Have an "oh Bleep bag". Something you can grab and run with. Packed with stuff that can keep you alive for 24-48 hours. Opinions will vary on what is required. I have a small stove, means to charge my phone and other electronic devices, water, food, very basic first aid. Portable Ham radio, extra ammo, knife, emergency blankets. I type too fast....
10. Tell people where you are going, for how long, and when you expect to be back.

I have cheap gear, and I have expensive gear. I have some must have gear and a lot of not required gear. I have CB, Ham (3 radios), Satellite communication and will probably add a cell signal booster at some point. Common sense supersedes all of this gear.

Stuff I have that is not required but nice:
A 2.5" lift
33" inch tires (Stock on my FJ worked great for 4 years)
A snorkel
A winch
A flat roof rack
A fridge
20 different flashlights or other types of illumination at any given time
A CB - Ham is way more useful for emergencies

All of these are well discussed topics so search for them. A winch, for example, won't do you any good unless you have a place to connect it to and know how to use it. In many instances recovery requires more than one winch and one vehicle. Watch some single winch "recovery" horror videos on YouTube. Merely having one may not help you. I have one but I need to practice with it more.

See #3 Worst case scenario I can sit tight and ask for help. I always have some sort of shelter, food, and water with me. I own a Delorme/Garmin InReach. I can Two way communicate anywhere in the world.

Go out with others. Listen, learn, and see what fits you based on what you want to do with regards to "Overlanding."

Welcome

Last edited:
Reactions: Lindenwood

Ripley1046

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Manitowoc, WI
First Name
Cory
Last Name
Ripley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9VKY
@1Louder nailed it with #1. Common sense. Keep your wits about you, and don't let pride get you lost, stuck, or dead.

Gear wise, prioritize water, fire, warmth (sleeping bag, clothes, blankets etc.) , a solid knife, and some basic tools. But most importantly, know how to use/acquire those things. There is a lot of good info here. Check out the Boot camp section, and remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Leaving a plan with someone, and having communication is also very important as noted above.

Reactions: 1Louder

Traveler I

1. Common sense
2. If you don't have common sense read up on how to get it! :)
3. A way to communicate without cell phone if an emergency ever arises.
4. A way to cook food. It could be a $9 stove or $900. Buy what your budget can afford
5. A way to store water. More than you think you will ever need. If you get stuck at least you will have plenty of water.
6. Basic tool kit
7. Basic recovery emergency gear. (Recovery straps, crowbar, tire repair kit, compressor, glow sticks, powerful flashlight, whistle, solar blankets)
8. Basic first aid kit
9. Maps and GPS. Know where you are, where you were going, if you get lost a way to turn around and backtrack.
9.5 Have an "oh Bleep bag". Something you can grab and run with. Packed with stuff that can keep you alive for 24-48 hours. Opinions will vary on what is required. I have a small stove, means to charge my phone and other electronic devices, water, food, very basic first aid. Portable Ham radio, extra ammo, knife, emergency blankets. I type too fast....
10. Tell people where you are going, for how long, and when you expect to be back.

I have cheap gear, and I have expensive gear. I have some must have gear and a lot of not required gear. I have CB, Ham (3 radios), Satellite communication and will probably add a cell signal booster at some point. Common sense supersedes all of this gear.

Stuff I have that is not required but nice:
A 2.5" lift
33" inch tires (Stock on my FJ worked great for 4 years)
A snorkel
A winch
A flat roof rack
A fridge
20 different flashlights or other types of illumination at any given time
A CB - Ham is way more useful for emergencies

All of these are well discussed topics so search for them. A winch, for example, won't do you any good unless you have a place to connect it to and know how to use it. In many instances recovery requires more than one winch and one vehicle. Watch some single winch "recovery" horror videos on YouTube. Merely having one may not help you. I have one but I need to practice with it more.

See #3 Worst case scenario I can sit tight and ask for help. I always have some sort of shelter, food, and water with me. I own a Delorme/Garmin InReach. I can Two way communicate anywhere in the world.

Go out with others. Listen, learn, and see what fits you based on what you want to do with regards to "Overlanding."

Welcome
Thanks for the detailed response! I like the idea of a go bag should anything bad happen. I've been formulating ideas on a lot of your other points and @Ripley1046 is right, the Boot Camp area would be a great place to look for more info on these things.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Go out on small trips before you go on long one. Get use to your gear, figure out what is needed and not. Quite often I see people with gear they just pulled out of the box on a trip. Don't know how to use it and its missing parts. Open things and use them at home. Make sure your stove works, you actually fit your sleeping bag (saw someone who got a child's bag and never took it out of the stuff sack)
Vehicle wise, it depends on you. Where you go and what you do.
Question..Have you ever changed your tire using your vehicles jack and lug wrench? Have you done basic maintenance using your vehicles tools?
You can be a half a mile away from anything and have to call AAA to change your tire because Jeep didn't give you a jack and you didn't know it. Happened to a guy at work with his new Rubicon.
Organize things in boxes and tie them down. Mild dirt roads will move things and make a mess, not counting hitting the brakes hard and having your gear hit you in the head.
Bottom line, set up the vehicle and make sure you can use everything before you actually need it.

OH....don't forget the camping curse. You will forget something. Its going to happen. Make a list and pack. Even if its something that stays in your vehicle like a tow strap. Check it. You may have taken it out to clean and forgot to put it back (guess how I know this).

Most of all, just have fun.

Scott

Last edited:

Traveler I

Go out on small trips before you go on long one. Get use to your gear, figure out what is needed and not. Quite often I see people with gear they just pulled out of the box on a trip. Don't know how to use it and its missing parts. Open things and use them at home. Make sure your stove works, you actually fit your sleeping bag (saw someone who got a child's bag and never took it out of the stuff sack)
Vehicle wise, it depends on you. Where you go and what you do.
Question..Have you ever changed your tire using your vehicles jack and lug wrench? Have you done basic maintenance using your vehicles tools?
You can be a half a mile away from anything and have to call AAA to change your tire because Jeep didn't give you a jack and you didn't know it. Happened to a guy at work with his new Rubicon.
Organize things in boxes and tie them down. Mild dirt roads will move things and make a mess, not counting hitting the brakes hard and having your gear hit you in the head.
Bottom line, set up the vehicle and make sure you can use everything before you actually need it.

OH....don't forget the camping curse. You will forget something. Its going to happen. Make a list and pack. Even if its something that stays in your vehicle like a tow strap. Check it. You may have taken it out to clean and forgot to put it back (guess how I know this).

Most of all, just have fun.

Scott
Oh I have been guilty of the camping curse even when I don't camp haha. To answer your question my extent of vehicle repair is changing tires, but I plan on learning more this spring. My father is a former grease monkey so I will be picking his mind

Bouncer

Rank IV

Advocate II

Wagoner County, Oklahoma
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
NLN
Service Branch
Resigned EMT-B
As far as recovery is concerned "know how", a shovel, and some form of "MaxxTraxx" will get you out of most situations you may find yourself in. You don't need to spend $100 on a shovel or $300 on name brand maxxtrax, but ebay and amazon knock offs work very well for a third the price. Ive been looking at X-Bull recovery traction boards myself for a while.

Reactions: Christian Giannotti