• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Germantown, WI, USA
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Owens
Member #

It seems like everything one would attach to a vehicle is a place to collect salt — and therefore rust. One thing that comes to mind for the more hardcore overlanders and 4WDers is bash/skid plates, especially the really large full-coverage plates. For those who have them, do you find that you have to remove them as a spring cleaning item and tend to your undercarriage? Or am I overthinking it?

Thanks for your insight,
Chris

Reactions: Captain Josh

Captain Josh

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid-Michigan
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Fornwall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4WOL
I don't think you're overthinking it. I also tend to put attention on all those places when I'm washing, to try and keep them as free from salt as I can. You can also take a somewhat preventative measure in the fall to coat those surfaces with lanolin to help protect them through winter. The oil may attract some dirt, so you'll want to make sure you wash those areas in the spring.

Reactions: Chris In Milwaukee

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

I’m not from the “rust belt” but I travel through it several times each winter. Every spring after my last trip the truck is thoroughly washed including undercarriage with skids removed to remove any road salt or sand traces and all of the previous year’s fluid film undercoating. I’ll generally drive it uncoated sans skid plates a few weeks to pinpoint leaks that need attention and do any required suspension maintenance while it’s not covered in FF. Once happy it’s ready for another winter it gets throughly recoated with fluid film and buttoned up until winter hits.

Reactions: Chris In Milwaukee