Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Waddell, AZ
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Hey everyone, first post here so let me know if I'm doing something wrong and I will gladly fix it.

So due to me being a college student, getting rid of my current rig for a new one more appropriate to traditional offroading isn't really a viable option at the moment. As such, what are some of your favorite, recommended, or absolutely essential items for someone trying to overland with a 2wd vehicle?

Whether it be recovery gear, items anyone should have, even helpful tips that you may have learned from experience would be greatly appreciated! (So far I'm thinking ARB Compressor & MaxTrax for sure). Prefer budget minded options but am willing to save my money for the necessary gear.

I am not new to offroading and have put my truck through some precarious situations and have gotten out safely so far, but I would like to prepare for the worst. Thanks for everything, I am excited to finally be a part of the community!

Current Rig Details:
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 5.7L V8 TRD Off Road
AFE Magnum Stage 2 Cold Air Intake
2.5" Leveling Kit with Bilstein Suspension
295/70/r18 Toyo A/T II XT's

Yngstr

Rank 0

Traveler I

Being a college student with limited funds and a desire to get out and explore, my first addition would be traction for getting unstuck- and a shovel
Maxtraks are nice but can be expesive on a students budget. Try finding a pair of 2x6 boards 4-6’ long and then get some heavy chicken wire to attach to one side of each. This Is what I used for yearsand stillcarry (Friends call them my red neck extraction devices)

Have fun and make sure to let someone know where you’re going and when you’ll return!

Justin D.

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Waddell, AZ
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Being a college student with limited funds and a desire to get out and explore, my first addition would be traction for getting unstuck- and a shovel
Maxtraks are nice but can be expesive on a students budget. Try finding a pair of 2x6 boards 4-6’ long and then get some heavy chicken wire to attach to one side of each. This Is what I used for yearsand stillcarry (Friends call them my red neck extraction devices)

Have fun and make sure to let someone know where you’re going and when you’ll return!
Sounds creative, I love it! I can do that. Thanks for the recommendation.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

You are on the right track with the maxtrax (or whatever offbrand you want), and the ability to air down and back up!

Id say a shovel for sure, and a Hi-Lift with a Lift-Mate wheel adapter.

HiLiftLiftMateWheel.jpg

Reactions: Luis Merlo