Entertainment?

• HTML tutorial

rdy4adventure

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Maryland
Member #

My biggest thing with camping solo is being bored. What do you guys do to entertain yourself when you're not with friends or family and out camping. Everything I can think of kind of defeats the purpose of being in the outdoors.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

If you are getting bored from one night alone, you're probably not the guy for this kind of thing. This is not meant to be offensive!
When I'm alone I like to let my thoughts free, thinking about everything you don't have time for in your daily routine, creating fictional situations and working on the solutions. Or try some wood carving.

Nef

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kingman, AZ, USA
First Name
Harold
Last Name
Malave
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AC2UD
I will read at times. I have a Kindle so running out of books is not an issue. I will go hiking, try to sneak up on wildlife, on rainy days if stuck in the tent I might watch a movie on the tablet.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
I usually will bring a book or 2 with me, and either hang my hammock or find a nice shady spot for a chair. Grab some beers and sit and read.

rdy4adventure

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Maryland
Member #

If you are getting bored from one night alone, you're probably not the guy for this kind of thing. This is not meant to be offensive!
When I'm alone I like to let my thoughts free, thinking about everything you don't have time for in your daily routine, creating fictional situations and working on the solutions. Or try some wood carving.
Offended? Not at all. I enjoy hiking around, seeing sights and the other things that come with being outside camping in the woods. I just find it kind of boring sitting by myself around a camp fire doing nothing but thinking. I entertain myself by playing my sons nintendo switch, watching netflix that I downloaded before heading out. I also, started taking pictures again, just to give me something to do while I'm out there. I was just seeing what others do to entertain themselves.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

I'll mirror what others have said. I usually have a book with, usually some kind of nature writing, field guide or local things book, but, being a middle child and having a hectic job that has people coming at me all day, I can just sit for hours.

Another thing I've done is use the time to plan your next trip or go through what is and isn't working on this one. I've spent hours with my maps out just looking for the dotted lines and lakes and such on the map.

Reactions: Nef

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Because of my work schedule I often do my trips solo. Some alone time is a great antidote to the noise and craziness at work. The trips are getting longer, some approaching a month.

Solo trips keep you pretty busy since you are doing everything yourself, no one to share the workload. Obviously reading can pass time in the evenings. I keep a few books (or Kindle editions) that touch on my trip or one I am planning in the near future. Nothing like being in southern Utah and reading anything Craig Childs.

As an aspiring writer as well and I journal the days events and, more importantly, those thoughts you have only when you have been silently conversing with yourself for a while. In the stillness of a solo camp after a day traveling inspiring country you can dig pretty deep into your own head.

A separate notebook holds lessons learned from the trip, possible changes to the 4Runner, ideas about future trips, etc. Quiet time is perfect for organizing your head and your plans.

Traveling solo isn't for everyone. Many people have told me I shouldn't. But I've never been told that by anyone who has.

P1080522.JPG

Reactions: SubeeBen and Steve

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I'm not much of a reader. I like to hike around, play with my camera, clean/organize camp, fish, tie flies, go birding, hone my bushcraft skills, etc... I thrive on my quiet time. The more alone time I can get the more regenerated I feel when I return home.

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Best thing for me is start up a fire, look up at the stars and put some music on. I use headphones of course not to bother anyone within earshot. Hell I do this even if I'm with a group at times. Just sit there and listen to the music and essentially veg out stare at the stars. It helps to decompress my damn brain lol, after a bit I will listen to an audio book in same fashion or watch a quick movie on the lap top before crashing. To me I want away from computers and tech for most of it since I am surrounded by it all day at work. If I could do my job from the road believe me we would have bounced on a long trip by now lol.