Engel questions

• HTML tutorial

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

I've had a 31qt fridge and am moving up in size. I'm going to be going to get an Engel for the toughness, reliability, and low draw. I have a couple questions as i'm trying to decide between the combi and the regular unit. For those with the combi, can you use the combi as a full fridge or just half/half? I don't need a freezer all the time but freezing fish would be super useful from time to time. Also, any trusted suppliers outside of the Engel website? They combi is out of stock so if that's the one I go with curious if anyone else knows a source.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

its not an engel. but I can HIGHLY recommend Snomaster. the draw is lower, the case is stainless steel, you can get split units (freezer /fridge). I have the LP61 .. and its' amazing!!! we built a lithium iron phosphate battery bank out of 8 small motorcycle batteries in series. they power the fridge non-stop for 4 days. use a remote battery isolator from the main banks. loved the setup so much, I'm working with a battery manufacturer to build battery banks for overlanding applications. I looked at engel, but bang for the buck. you can't beat the snomaster, and its got better features. we did the continental divide trail road from southern New Mexico to northern Colorado. 9 days all off road, boulder trails and all. the snomaster didn't even break a sweat. kept ALL our food cold at 37 degrees no matter what we threw at it. and I don't think we saw a temp under 90 at any time during a day.

I'm sold so much I'm getting the lp 96 for another application.

I've had a 31qt fridge and am moving up in size. I'm going to be going to get an Engel for the toughness, reliability, and low draw. I have a couple questions as i'm trying to decide between the combi and the regular unit. For those with the combi, can you use the combi as a full fridge or just half/half? I don't need a freezer all the time but freezing fish would be super useful from time to time. Also, any trusted suppliers outside of the Engel website? They combi is out of stock so if that's the one I go with curious if anyone else knows a source.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I've heard good things about snomaster as well. And I've seriously considered buying one. But they are a relatively new comer. For me, reliability is the number on factor for a fridge... efficiency and design second. Extremely difficult to compare reliability with Engel.... who's be selling portable fridges for over 50 years.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Everyone I've talked to out of South Africa has stated get the Snomaster. so.....

I've heard good things about snomaster as well. And I've seriously considered buying one. But they are a relatively new comer. For me, reliability is the number on factor for a fridge... efficiency and design second. Extremely difficult to compare reliability with Engel.... who's be selling portable fridges for over 50 years.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

built like a tank. low power draw. capable of fast cooling and lo power cooling. a true freezer. keeps things cold longer (better insulation). built like a tank. yeah I said that twice. also comes with a bag standard.. not an extra charge... and a remote. thought the remote was a gimmick at first.. now that's about all I use.

so far.. they are right on all points.

Did they say why?

Last edited:
I have a Engel mt45 and suggest the regular unit. dual wastes space.
Honestly, you can make it dual with a cheap styrofoam cooler lid as a divider.

its a great fridge.

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

I have heard a lot of good things about snomaster, however no way anyone can put them in the same conversation as Engel for reliability as it’s just not proven yet. Not to say they are bad but they just haven’t been around long enough for proof. They were one of my choices to look at but they are too big for the back of the JKU. They do have solid offerings though.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Respectfully.... so are we suppose to wait 50 years?

when configuring a solar set up... I wouldn't even consider Engel. they cycle too frequently, and don't offer the long term running time of the Snomaster, or even the new ARB's. as far as not fitting in the JKU. there is a reason to buy a bigger vehicle. I can't see the jeeps as the 'go to' anymore. they priced themselves up too much.. and you can get a hell of a diesel at the 50-60k range in a 3/4 ton truck.

since overlanding usually isn't rock crawling, and I haven't seen a trail yet we can't get down.. I'll go larger... and others can drink their own brand. but back to snomaster v. engel. I went snomaster... and so far I have ran it 128 days straight. some on shore power... but mostly on battery / truck. and it has constantly ran at 37 degrees in the Texas sun, on 110 degree pavement, and 37 degrees going over boulder trails in Colorado in the 60-90 degree day time temps range.. took 970 miles of rough Offroad driving and more than 4000 mile on road... and it does not have a rattle in it anywhere. I'll do a write up at a year... but so far. I'm sold.

, however no way anyone can put them in the same conversation as Engel for reliability as it’s just not proven yet.

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I looked at the Snowmasters a long time ago and to me, they looked very similar to the Whynter fridges, same control panel, design and layout... just a little nicer exterior finish. Not sure how they compare internally. I'd be interested to see that. Anyway, the Whynters are not really known as the most reliable fridges.

Take a look at the similarities....

There is certainly some kind of past connection between the two companies:

snowmaster.jpeg

Overland Vic

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Orange, CA, USA
First Name
Vic
Last Name
Member #

its not an engel. but I can HIGHLY recommend Snomaster. the draw is lower, the case is stainless steel, you can get split units (freezer /fridge). I have the LP61 .. and its' amazing!!! we built a lithium iron phosphate battery bank out of 8 small motorcycle batteries in series. they power the fridge non-stop for 4 days. use a remote battery isolator from the main banks. loved the setup so much, I'm working with a battery manufacturer to build battery banks for overlanding applications. I looked at engel, but bang for the buck. you can't beat the snomaster, and its got better features. we did the continental divide trail road from southern New Mexico to northern Colorado. 9 days all off road, boulder trails and all. the snomaster didn't even break a sweat. kept ALL our food cold at 37 degrees no matter what we threw at it. and I don't think we saw a temp under 90 at any time during a day.

I'm sold so much I'm getting the lp 96 for another application.
Hi Steve, I'm curious about your setup running on hot days. What was the hottest it has gotten? When you mentioned 90F+ days, how many consecutive days was the fridge running?

Thanks!

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

Hi Steve, I'm curious about your setup running on hot days. What was the hottest it has gotten? When you mentioned 90F+ days, how many consecutive days was the fridge running?

Thanks!

Well as of today.. its been running about 137 days straight. the hottest day 112 reported, 130 measured on asphalt. the bed of the truck was 118.

I have it in the bed of a Ford f250, with a aluminum diamond back (bright not black) bed cover. it sits on a slide. I keep the cover on the fridge, and its' set at 37 degrees. I check it often with an infrared probe. (its a pandemic thing) and it is pretty constant at 36-38 degrees. Its been full, its been down to one six pack of 32 oz waters... always 36-38 degrees. this is my test unit.. we're working prototypes now. with the thoughts on selling turn key overlanding / hunting trucks via a local dealership on new Ford / Ram / GMC 3/4 ton trucks, my preference is diesel. either Ford or Ram. no trays, no craziness. just a truck you can use for a hobby, and quickly use it to haul mulch / work stuff.

but on the fridge... I'm pretty much sold on snomaster. I've killed an engle, whynter, Classic ARB, and an off brand or two... the snomaster just seems to smile and flip you off saying 'bring it'. lol. I'm in love. #USMC

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

Respectfully.... so are we suppose to wait 50 years?

when configuring a solar set up... I wouldn't even consider Engel. they cycle too frequently, and don't offer the long term running time of the Snomaster, or even the new ARB's. as far as not fitting in the JKU. there is a reason to buy a bigger vehicle. I can't see the jeeps as the 'go to' anymore. they priced themselves up too much.. and you can get a hell of a diesel at the 50-60k range in a 3/4 ton truck.

since overlanding usually isn't rock crawling, and I haven't seen a trail yet we can't get down.. I'll go larger... and others can drink their own brand. but back to snomaster v. engel. I went snomaster... and so far I have ran it 128 days straight. some on shore power... but mostly on battery / truck. and it has constantly ran at 37 degrees in the Texas sun, on 110 degree pavement, and 37 degrees going over boulder trails in Colorado in the 60-90 degree day time temps range.. took 970 miles of rough Offroad driving and more than 4000 mile on road... and it does not have a rattle in it anywhere. I'll do a write up at a year... but so far. I'm sold.
We don't have to wait 50 years but more than a handful to say it's a long term winner.

I wouldn't be able to fit in a lot of places in New England with a 3/4 ton diesel truck. The JKU is even too big in some areas. The landscape is a little different up here as opposed to Texas or the West. 50k-60k is 2x more than I paid for my JKU. At that price I might as well get a sportsmobile or something along those lines.

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

We don't have to wait 50 years but more than a handful to say it's a long term winner.

I wouldn't be able to fit in a lot of places in New England with a 3/4 ton diesel truck. The JKU is even too big in some areas. The landscape is a little different up here as opposed to Texas or the West. 50k-60k is 2x more than I paid for my JKU. At that price I might as well get a sportsmobile or something along those lines.

True there is a reason the willies jeep was the size it was. I grew up in southwest Missouri where you can't get a dirt bike through the forests..
I was shocked when jeep came out with its new pricing. on a dollar for dollar basis.. at the new price points, and as we just agreed .. based upon your area of usage.. the full-sizes start to make sense. one thing I like is the total flexibility of being able to pull a huge load... then go across country.. bu as with most things.. it all comes down to compromise.

I had a yj 4 cylinder for years... replaced it with a 99 land cruiser which I still have. small is nice.. if it fits your travel plan. For me personally, I am at a point in life were I can get away for a week or more at a time.. so larger is needed. I have a unimog.. but am selling it.. too big for were I want to go. so I see your points, feel the pain... and am trying personally to find a sweet spot in the middle. something a bit more capable than the sportsmobile.. aka more power.

OutdoorsBen

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Western Massachusetts
Member #

True there is a reason the willies jeep was the size it was. I grew up in southwest Missouri where you can't get a dirt bike through the forests..
I was shocked when jeep came out with its new pricing. on a dollar for dollar basis.. at the new price points, and as we just agreed .. based upon your area of usage.. the full-sizes start to make sense. one thing I like is the total flexibility of being able to pull a huge load... then go across country.. bu as with most things.. it all comes down to compromise.

I had a yj 4 cylinder for years... replaced it with a 99 land cruiser which I still have. small is nice.. if it fits your travel plan. For me personally, I am at a point in life were I can get away for a week or more at a time.. so larger is needed. I have a unimog.. but am selling it.. too big for were I want to go. so I see your points, feel the pain... and am trying personally to find a sweet spot in the middle. something a bit more capable than the sportsmobile.. aka more power.
I think half the battle for all of us is finding the sweet spot in everything. Capability, storage capacity, gear, etc...