Enchanted rockies

• HTML tutorial

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
Anyone have any Intel in the enchanted Rockies trail from the i40 intersection into Colorado springs around the end of may? I've got a few days off and wanna get out of town. I'm just not sure if the trails are going to be open that time of year?

Reactions: Gabriel Bozeman

donkability

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ohio
I am gonna be out there may 26-29 complete newbie pretty much stock 4runner , I am following for some information, I am solo just getting my feet wet, this trail seems like a good one to start at, was gonna do some of the alpine loop but fear I may be dealing with snow still. I will be in Col springs tell the 26th.

Reactions: Vandy

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
If I go I'll be traveling north from the 24th to the 27th. Maybe we will cross paths. The more I look into it I'm thinking of starting on i40 and ending at pikes peak

donkability

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ohio
I just got my 4runner so I will be raw but gotta start somewhere, ill be close to pikes peak i could head south morning of the 26th at earliest, would be cool to know that someone is out there, heck I am just starting to learn gaia maps nervous/excited all at once, i get three days to play between springs and vegas was pretty set on hitting half of alpine loop, and kinda winging it from there.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
If I make it out ill shoot you my cell (not that it will work) you shouldnt get into anything hairy but I know how water levels/rain/snow changes things. I've got a 17 4runner. Shes been run thru the paces quite a bit. I'm assuming people will be out for the holiday weekend. But it's always a little peace of mind knowing someone is around

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
As of now yes I'm planning on it. My tentative plan is leaving okc fri am and starting just north of i40. Figure I can make it out there and a few miles north of i40 by fri night. Start heading north sat am. I've gotta work Monday night at midnight. So I'm going to see how far north I can make. I've gotten different information on what's open and what's not. A buddy has a cabin in Colorado about 100 miles west of the trail. Hes still got snow and the roads to his cabin are closed. I've been keeping at eye on the weather out there. Seems like it's pretty warm. But the snow and open trails are a concern. If I start getting into a lot of these conditions I'm going to stick to northern new Mexico. I'd love to make it to pikes peak by Monday afternoon. But not gonna kill my self to get there. If your headed south we should pass each other at some point though

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Ivins, Utah, United States
First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
just a heads up ...we are getting 6 inches to a foot of snow today in the front range of colorado..the passes will get significantly higher amounts. more than likely nothing above 8k feet will be drivable.

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
just a heads up ...we are getting 6 inches to a foot of snow today in the front range of colorado..the passes will get significantly higher amounts. more than likely nothing above 8k feet will be drivable.
Ok so excuse my ignorance. Where is the front range? And I appreciate the Intel. I've been curious about the snow situation. I know yall have had quite a bit this year. My buddy has a place north of pagosa springs. He was telling me the roads to his place are still closed as of this past weekend.

Im figuring ill start in new Mexico and work my way north. I may end up getting side tract in new Mexico or have to turn around if the roads are closed

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
front range of the rockies as you approach from the east. so pretty much the mountains from colorado springs north to Wyoming.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I appreciate the Intel. I may end up sticking to new Mexico. Sounds like Colorado may have a lot of snow still
Yes, it's been quite the winter in the mountains.

We'd love to have you come back later to one of the events below in my signature.....

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
Yes, it's been quite the winter in the mountains.

We'd love to have you come back later to one of the events below in my signature.....
If I could figure out why I cant see your signature I'd try to plan something lol. I've got a group going to black bear etc in August. But I'll be out in big bear lake ca for my moms birthday that week. I'd love to get around in Colorado more

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
If I could figure out why I cant see your signature I'd try to plan something lol. I've got a group going to black bear etc in August. But I'll be out in big bear lake ca for my moms birthday that week. I'd love to get around in Colorado more
That's weird. I am not knowing.

This trip is near the beginning of August and includes Black Bear Pass. It actually starts in Moab and progresses east: Rocks n Rockies
This one is in about a month near Buena Vista: https://www.overlandbound.com/event/colorado-front-range-camp-out-meetup/

Ldstruckn

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

First Name
joseph
Last Name
johnson
Member #

Service Branch
US ARMY
This is my rig this morning..thats is right may 21st i awoke to a fresh 8 inches plus an additional 6 during the day. I am at 6k feet so im sure the mountain passes at 10 to 12 got loaded up.20190521_061942.jpeg

donkability

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ohio
Im in the springs now whats gonna be driveable starting sunday/monday? Was gonna start near pikes peak and head south, can i start near cripple creek now and make it south from there or will i need to go farther south?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Im in the springs now whats gonna be driveable starting sunday/monday? Was gonna start near pikes peak and head south, can i start near cripple creek now and make it south from there or will i need to go farther south?
You'll likely be good out of Cripple Creek headed south for the first leg, but you'll be stopped at Medano Pass before reaching the Great Sand Dunes:
Medano Pass Primitive Road - Great Sand Dunes National Park & Preserve (U.S. National Park Service)

Vandy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Okc
Ok so I made it home last night about 3am. Ended up leaving early. I ended up just bouncing around new mexico. Got right up to the Colorado border but never did cross into Colorado. Was planning on staying last night around red river, but there was a mini Sturgis going on and every camp ground was pretty packed. Then some storms started rolling in? So I called it.

There was a gate locked just. North of i35 going into the pecos nat forest. So I re routed into pecos then back tracked into the forest to camp for the night. Rolling in there I saw 2 trucks on the trail and maybe 6 diesels with horse trailers at a camp. Past that the place was a ghost town. Found a place to camp. It was quiet.....and I mean QUIET. I've never been some place so quiet. Zero wind. No birds. No bugs. No nothing. Amazing camp though. Sat there watching satalites for a while.

Left there headed into Santa fe. Saw some cool rigs in town. Saw my 1st earth roamer... words can not describe these things. It was amazing. Had a great green chili voodoo burger. Got back on the trail. The next place you pull off the pavement was crazy packed with campers. There were places avail to stay but there were a lot of people out. Anyway. Headed up the trail quite a ways until I hit snow... wasnt expecting that. Figured I'd push thru. Aired down went into 4 lo locked the rear and let her eat. I made it maybe 800 yards when I ran into 3 side by sides stuck in the snow. Helped them get out.... drank a "thank you beer" and started back tracking.

Cut around into cimarron and pulled off on the trail right before dusk. Didnt see anyone the whole rest of the night. Lot of elk but no people. Found a camp site (wish I would have kept going) had a great night. Headed on that trail past the camp site there were more of "dispersed" spots right on the river. They are 20 bucks a night but the views alone would have been worth it.

Red river was crazy busy. But I wanted to hit the goose lake trail. That was a great trail.... little technical. But fun. I made it about 4 miles up before I met a side by side coming down. He told me about a mile up the road was wait deep snow lol. I got up to the snow and started looking around. Looked like storms were rolling in so I called it. Didnt want to me on that trail in the mud. There were a few off camber spots with not a lot of room for error.

I was going to head back to pecos NF. But crazy winds and storms started coming in so I called it about 4pm. Started heading back to okc.

It was a great trip. Amazing area. Def need to go back.