Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
As I start building out my rig, I've started to think about an auxiliary electrical system.

Ultimately, I've decided against installing a dual battery system for the time being. Instead, much of my campground electrical needs will be handled by my rockpals 500w power station.

I plan on charging this from an outlet I will be installing in the back of the center console. There's already a single 12v outlet there, but I want to have an outlet that is only powered when the vehicle is running, so that the rockpals starts charging when the truck is on (basically functioning similarly to a dual battery system.

I do t have much experience with electrical installations, but by picking apart several diagrams, I came up with the following :

I was hoping someone with some experience could give me some pointers based on the above diagram.

Thanks!

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Did you have any specific questions? Overall I don't see any issues with the diagram, everything is protected by a fuse or breaker and large loads are switched using relays. You have two relays marked R3 and two marked R6, but I'm assuming that is just a copy/paste issue.

Where are you planning on plugging in the power station so it can charge? Are you going to be running any loads off it?

Do you have a need for the outlets in the center console to be be switched by the accessory circuit? Personally, I find it nice for things like USB ports always be powered so you can charge your phone or leave a GPS or radio on when the car is turned off.

BchBum11511

Rank V
Launch Member

Navigator I

Huntsville, AL, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Thompson
Member #

Agree with the above questions. Depending on what you plan to plug in, 10A may not be enough. I also like having plugs that are hot all the time.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Sorry, I didn't get any notifications of responses to this thread!

So, in the Xterra, there's two outlets already in the center console. Both are powered all the time. I'm looking to add another one for charging the power station when the engine starts up. Generally speaking, as of right now, I'm not planning on pulling from the power station while charging.

As for the double r3/r6 relays, you're absolutely correct in that it's a copy/paste issue. I mostly just wanted other people's opinions on whether I designed this correctly. I'm pretty new to anything electrical, and wanted a few extra pairs of eyes on it.

Thanks for the input!