Electric Winch. Are they necessary for overlanding/touring?

• HTML tutorial

Steve_ohhhhh

Local Expert, QLD Australia

Influencer I

Redbank Queensland, Australia
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jappe
Member #

Ok folks.... let's talk about Winches. Primarily for overlanding/touring.

Do you run one?

Is it needed? Or is it more an insurance policy.

Thoughts please....

Reactions: Ubiety

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Personal choice, if you like to crank on a hi-lift or come-along all day and keep having to reset thats your choice. Been there done that will never go back to that. If you have a bad back or any bad parts of body I wouldnt recommend it.

I'll take an electric winch over hilift or come along any day. I also prefer scissor jacks off road over hi lifts.
If you have a itty bitty vehicle like a jeep or something else that weighs less than 6k then you may want a hilift , they are made for light vehicles and are much easier and safer to use on them than a mid or full sized truck with gear.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I must use my winch a hell of alot more than others on here. I don't consider it a insurance policy, I consider it just another tool in my toolbox to make it easier to get un stuck. There are plenty of other expedient ways to get unstuck, could always tie rope around your front or Rear tires and winch out like that.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs

Do you run one?

Thoughts please....
Yes, would not leave home without it. I would call it an insurance policy but have gotten to use them so much for myself and others that I call it necessary equipment. That said where to do take your rig? If you stick to freeway and tame gravel roads then you are likely ok without one. If you go to areas with mud/sand or fallen trees then you would benefit from having one (and a chain saw). If you go to the sand you will want some sort of sand anchor to attach to. Winch makes quick(er) work of clearing fallen trees - if you have a chain saw and can make the tree manageable to move. Insurance policy, maybe - you are not going to use it every day or even every trip - but when you need it you will be overjoyed to have it.

Also, if you travel alone then they become more important since you don't have a group to rely on.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I must use my winch a hell of alot more than others on here. I don't consider it a insurance policy, I consider it just another tool in my toolbox to make it easier to get un stuck. There are plenty of other expedient ways to get unstuck, could always tie rope around your front or Rear tires and winch out like that.
You must get stuck a lot... I too use it as a tool... mostly for clearing trail... occasionally to help a fellow traveler get back on the road, and only once have I ever used a winch to self-recover.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

You must get stuck a lot... I too use it as a tool... mostly for clearing trail... occasionally to help a fellow traveler get back on the road, and only once have I ever used a winch to self-recover.
I do. have you ever been to the Ozarks? Mostly water crossings and deep mud to contend with. But as a tool ive used it to move trees on the trail, as a farmer i use it move dead cows, helping in breech birth to pull a calf out slowly, pull fence posts and stumps. Rolled a tractor back over. I also live on a very nasty black clay road that gets really bad when it rains so I was having to pull people out after they take a wrong turn, I'm also friends with the local county wrecker service owner every now and then he calls me to come help with recoveries. You can say i kindof know my way around a winch.

BrokeDown

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

It may sound extreme to use a winch for delivery of a calf but when you are alone without help I have seen this done with a come along. The method has saved many breach birth calves from sure death.
I watch Dr Poole use a jack like device.... the winch actually makes more sense.... But yes, I get it, you got to do what you got to do.

Reactions: Desert Runner

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
The need is not a simple yes or no. It depends on several variables.
1) Where are you located and what types of trails do you run
Are the trails big rocks or mud.?
How difficult are the trails?
2) What is your experience level?
3) Are you normally in a group or run solo?
4) Are you normally on well traveled trails?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'm using a hilift jack as a winch. A winch is only overlanding bling to me. I'd have to service it, twice as often as I use it. (salt belt)

Truckclaws help as well.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

Do you run one?

Thoughts please....
This is kinda like the age old question do I need a HiLift jack.
Its up to the individual to decide what his or her needs are, I personally would never go off road without a winch but thats just me. Level of comfort and knowledge is the most important thing, you can have all the recovery gear ever made stashed in your vehicle but not really know how to use it so its no good. If you have a winch get educated by either trial and error or professional instruction. Local meet-ups are a good place to practice winching, our local group spent three meetings to go over recovery and winching ending with winching backwards.
I use my winch probably two/three times a year, sometimes for self recovery and other time to help out members on a trip. In the end it is a tool that gives me peace of mind that is why I have always had one.

And @Boostpowered mentioned the Ozarks is a place with deep mud and I can tell you from experience you will use your winch.

You never know where your adventure will take you that's why we prepare for every imaginable situation.

Just my ten cents, nothing else.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
For me it's the weight on the nose as well. Absolutely the worst spot to add weight to a truck with no camper.

You have to be really careful. If you do all of the broverlander mods, you won't have any GVWR left to carry girls in bikinis.