Electric Flight is Here

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Billiebob

Rank V

Influencer I

Nakusp, BC V0G 1R0, Canada
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Tobey
Member #

Last edited:

Anak

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Sandy Eggo
According to Ganzarski, the electric motor in the e-plane is a standard design that was adapted to work reliably on an aircraft to provide the power and torque needed to fly, but at a minimum weight.
Nice.

But what about the batteries?

Last time I checked those things were still pretty heavy.

How much payload do they have to give up in order to go EV? That is the conspicuously absent detail in the article.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Protector III

Wolfe City, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Didnt nasa already have a solar powered plane they flew around the world? Like 5 years ago. They were developed in the 1970s look up gossamer penguin.

Reactions: Wallygator

Billiebob

Rank V

Influencer I

First Name
Bill
Last Name
Tobey
Member #

The cool thing id Harbour Air is not a manufacturer, they operate a commercial airline and have decided to repower their entire fleet.
Something they have done a few times with the DeHavilland Beaver which started out with a radial engine 62 years ago.

Heres where they fly. They are repowering for the Vancouver Victoria commute.
They fly 12 round trips a day.

2019-Route-Map-1.png

Here is a 60 year old Beaver, one of the most successful bush planes ever.
0e78c9b31cbcf5df3aa2721f58e00ab4.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

J.W.

Rank V

Advocate III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

Ham Callsign
KE8AYE
Electric flight has been here since 1883. The weight of the batteries is still the problem all these years later. Novel idea to retrofit the pond hopper though.

Dilldog

Rank IV

Member I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
W
Member #

The idea may be old but that doesnt matter to me, what matters is somebody is actually doing it and on a commercial scale that will actually benefit people. Also its nice to see that its my brothers and sisters in Canada doing it.

oldmopars

Rank IV

Member I

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I would bet they are using Lithium batteries. Check out these batteries, they are 100 amp, the same size as a group 31 deep cycle and they are only 31 pounds. The same battery in a lead acid is 66 lbs. However I am sure they are running something more like a Tesla battery, purpose built and light.

oldmopars

Rank IV

Member I

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I would bet they are using Lithium batteries. Check out these batteries, they are 100 amp, the same size as a group 31 deep cycle and they are only 31 pounds. The same battery in a lead acid is 66 lbs. However I am sure they are running something more like a Tesla battery, purpose built and light.

Billiebob

Rank V

Influencer I

First Name
Bill
Last Name
Tobey
Member #

The idea may be old but that doesnt matter to me, what matters is somebody is actually doing it and on a commercial scale that will actually benefit people. Also its nice to see that its my brothers and sisters in Canada doing it.
yes, it is uplifting to see positive action on a topic which normally only generates fear mongering.

Founder and CEO of Harbour Air Seaplanes, Greg McDougall, said of the partnership:

“Harbour Air first demonstrated its commitment to sustainability by becoming the first fully carbon-neutral airline in North America in 2007, through the purchase of carbon offsets. Through our commitment to making a positive impact on people’s lives, the communities where we operate and the environment, we are once again pushing the boundaries of aviation by becoming the first aircraft to be powered by electric propulsion. We are excited to bring commercial electric aviation to the Pacific Northwest, turning our seaplanes into ePlanes.”
And Seattle is one of their destinations.

Reactions: Baipin

oldmopars

Rank IV

Member I

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

Billiebob

Rank V

Influencer I

First Name
Bill
Last Name
Tobey
Member #

Instead of trolling, why not find out what batteries they sre using.... then tell us.
The company building the power system is like 100 miles from you.

Wallygator

Rank III

Enthusiast I

USA
Just for reference, the Tesla battery pack weighs 1200 pounds. Not exactly light.

Dilldog

Rank IV

Member I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
W
Member #

yes, it is uplifting to see positive action on a topic which normally only generates fear mongering...
Yeah no kidding. I work in the transportation industry so I know what youre talking about. Honestly my only concern is with how the electricity is generated. In the Western US and Canada its more or less a non issue with all of our hydro and wind power. But at the end of the day, there is no reason why we cant do better, we have the tech, we have the know how, and we have the work force. The only thing we are lacking is the political will to piss off the powers that be, and a more farsighted view of self preservation.

Reactions: Baipin

Dave K

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Hayward California, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
K
Ham Callsign
KK6PXJ
I am not yet totally convinced that EVs are any better than anything else big picture. Lithium, cobalt, and manganese aren’t exactly just popping out of the earth on their own and walking down to be made into batteries. Short of harnessing a lightning bolt electricity still has to be “produced”, a substantial amount of which is through fossil fuels still. Solar produces tons of waste. Etc., etc. I wholeheartedly believe there are people that think they can just plug their car into a magic plug in the wall and they become a planet saver. This makes them feel good and feeling good sells stuff. That means that EVs have serious sales potential and can translate to great business.

I have to think that the decision to convert a fleet of airplanes to electric would be based more on economics that environmentalism. Most businesses revolve around ROI.

Last edited: