Easy Camp Light

• HTML tutorial

Idaholandho

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Idaho
Member #

By no means is a pole light in camp my original idea. But, wanted to post an easy project to light up camp. I've seen plenty of pictures camping with light sticks and had every intention of building one as I had most of the parts laying around.
The original intent was to use a telescoping paint pole for the base(one in process now) and put a light on it but, when out feeding animals I found an unused telescoping aluminum tripod sprinkler base in the pasture that compactly folds nicely and gave it a try.
IMAG3139_1.jpg
So, I unscrewed the sprinkler and figured that I could mount the light on a threaded pipe. While out and about I found a 1/2 x 1/2 galvanized piece(see pic) that would fit perfect. I had a couple of 3" LZR KC lights that a friend sent me that I never got around to using. I mounted the light on the pipe with a bolt and nut that would fit into the threaded hole as I screwed it in.
IMAG3142_1.jpg
Screwed in perfect
IMAG3146_1.jpg
IMAG3143_1.jpg
For the wiring I bought a 10 ft 12V Cigarette Adapter cord on Amazon for 10.99. I drilled a hole in the center tube were a hose would normally attach and fed the wire through it.
IMAG3147.jpg
I snipped off the connectors that came with the light.
IMAG3149.jpg
Then attached the wires to the wires from the light and BOOM, done.
Anyway, long story still long, worked out great for having most of the material and not spending a ton. I suspect if you don't have a light any ol' Blitz Pro or cheap Chinese led would be a solid choice for an inexpensive project that will last a lifetime without breaking the bank.
IMAG3155.jpg
IMAG3154.jpg

Now I have a mobile light that I can set up anywhere in camp or leave in the bed of the truck.
Thanks for reading.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

By no means is a pole light in camp my original idea. But, wanted to post an easy project to light up camp. I've seen plenty of pictures camping with light sticks and had every intention of building one as I had most of the parts laying around.
The original intent was to use a telescoping paint pole for the base(one in process now) and put a light on it but, when out feeding animals I found an unused telescoping aluminum tripod sprinkler base in the pasture that compactly folds nicely and gave it a try.
View attachment 24398
So, I unscrewed the sprinkler and figured that I could mount the light on a threaded pipe. While out and about I found a 1/2 x 1/2 galvanized piece(see pic) that would fit perfect. I had a couple of 3" LZR KC lights that a friend sent me that I never got around to using. I mounted the light on the pipe with a bolt and nut that would fit into the threaded hole as I screwed it in.
View attachment 24399
Screwed in perfect
View attachment 24400
View attachment 24407
For the wiring I bought a 10 ft 12V Cigarette Adapter cord on Amazon for 10.99. I drilled a hole in the center tube were a hose would normally attach and fed the wire through it.
View attachment 24402
I snipped off the connectors that came with the light.
View attachment 24403
Then attached the wires to the wires from the light and BOOM, done.
Anyway, long story still long, worked out great for having most of the material and not spending a ton. I suspect if you don't have a light any ol' Blitz Pro or cheap Chinese led would be a solid choice for an inexpensive project that will last a lifetime without breaking the bank.
View attachment 24404
View attachment 24405

Now I have a mobile light that I can set up anywhere in camp or leave in the bed of the truck.
Thanks for reading.
I'm sure I responded to this post yesterday... must have been some strong stuff I was drinking last night!

Anyway, it still looks like a great idea today! I thought I'd made mention of using some opaque privacy stick on film on the one I have on the back of the rig just to give a bit more of a diffused light for around the camp. I stuck mine on but occurred to me if I'd used some kind of clip-on cover like Rigid Industries do for their small lights and stuck it to that I could have had the best of both worlds.

... just found out that a few posts got lost yesterday so wasn't imagining things! That's a relief!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

Idaholandho

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Idaho
Member #

I'm sure I responded to this post yesterday... must have been some strong stuff I was drinking last night!

Anyway, it still looks like a great idea today! I thought I'd made mention of using some opaque privacy stick on film on the one I have on the back of the rig just to give a bit more of a diffused light for around the camp. I stuck mine on but occurred to me if I'd used some kind of clip-on cover like Rigid Industries do for their small lights and stuck it to that I could have had the best of both worlds.

... just found out that a few posts got lost yesterday so wasn't imagining things! That's a relief!

I'm glad it wan't just me. I responded but, wondered if waking up face down in the front yard affected my recollection of replying :).
I think the KC's I am using are described as a spot beam. The film is genius, thank you for the idea.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

I'm glad it wan't just me. I responded but, wondered if waking up face down in the front yard affected my recollection of replying :).
I think the KC's I am using are described as a spot beam. The film is genius, thank you for the idea.
Cheers, just so long as it isn't Groundhog Day... really need to get to the weekend now [emoji23]

Reactions: Idaholandho