Anna, TX United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cliburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15ESR
New OB member and 1st post here. I am wanting to explore the Ouchita National Forest and plan on starting near Broken Bow in South Eastern Oklahoma. First step was locating the forest map online and printing it out. Here's a link to the site ( https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd531237.pdf ).

Next step, called the Tiak Ranger District listed on the map for info. I told them I had a street legal Jeep and wanted to explore the forest and was looking for info. They told me if the vehicle was over 64" wide, I would have to stay on the forest service roads and would be sharing them with logging trucks and school busses. 64" should nock out most all street legal vehicles. The YouTube videos of trips to that area that I found did not look like they would handle a school bus. Maybe they use busses I not familiar with.

Anyone have info on where I can find maps to plan a trip. I want to keep things legal and don't want any trouble. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking forward to meeting folks that also want to take similar trips.

MLGrace

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

LAKESIDE AZ
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Grace
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran
New OB member and 1st post here. I am wanting to explore the Ouchita National Forest and plan on starting near Broken Bow in South Eastern Oklahoma. First step was locating the forest map online and printing it out. Here's a link to the site ( https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd531237.pdf ).

Next step, called the Tiak Ranger District listed on the map for info. I told them I had a street legal Jeep and wanted to explore the forest and was looking for info. They told me if the vehicle was over 64" wide, I would have to stay on the forest service roads and would be sharing them with logging trucks and school busses. 64" should nock out most all street legal vehicles. The YouTube videos of trips to that area that I found did not look like they would handle a school bus. Maybe they use busses I not familiar with.

Anyone have info on where I can find maps to plan a trip. I want to keep things legal and don't want any trouble. Thanks in advance for any help. I'm looking forward to meeting folks that also want to take similar trips.
We were there in early June. It was a lot of fun. The FS roads are generally two wheel drive but in places had mud. We explored and camped for 5 nights. Really enjoyed it. Hit Cedar Lake for a shower or fresh water. Even saw a bear. We had the place to ourselves.

Joefirefighter222

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Anna, TX United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Cliburn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K15ESR
We were there in early June. It was a lot of fun. The FS roads are generally two wheel drive but in places had mud. We explored and camped for 5 nights. Really enjoyed it. Hit Cedar Lake for a shower or fresh water. Even saw a bear. We had the place to ourselves.
Thanks Mike. Sounds like you have a very nice and capable rig.

I’m seeing YouTube videos that show actual off road trails and that’s what I’m really looking for. Not sure if they are legal off reading, but if they are, I sure would like to find out where they are.

Reactions: MLGrace