US West - East Bay Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA | OVERLAND BOUND COMMUNITY

US West East Bay Monthly Meet Up- Pleasanton CA

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!
  • HTML tutorial

TrailHawkGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6GTZ
Just got back from Death Valley, always so gorgeous this time of year. Passing through the northern end of Yosemite to Death Valley is stunning to see such beauty at the opposite ends of the spectrum.
View attachment 126484

Moon rise from Eureka Dunes
View attachment 126481

Saline Valley
View attachment 126482View attachment 126480View attachment 126483View attachment 126485

This is why we do what we do. Looking forward to meeting you guys and planning out trips for 2020!

See you December 8th!
DeathValley never disappoints- nice pics @PapaDave

Reactions: PapaDave

static

Rank I
Adventure

Contributor II

SF Bay Area, CA
First Name
Kris
Last Name
Pruden
Member #

Thanks @PapaDave for the informative discussion. It was a sobering topic for my first meetup, but an important one!

Everyone I met was really friendly and helpful, but I have to admit I’ve forgotten the names of everyone I talked to. I'm terrible at names but I will get them eventually…

I'm looking forward to the next meetup and/or hopefully meeting some folks on the trail!

I'm glad to be a member of his community!

Kris

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
Really good discussion on rig rollovers at the meet today. One thing that didn't come up was that in a roll over (or any kind of accident) any loose items in the vehicle can become a projectile. Imagine having a 1lb propane tank fly forward and hit you in the back of the head, or worse something heavy like a tool bag. I'm sure we all just throw last minute items in the back at times (I know I do), but anything that is stored in the passenger compartment that isn't light and soft should really be tied down.

Perhaps a future event could focus on gear storage and retention?

Or, what to do after a truck has gone into too deep of water and needs to be recovered and then driven/towed home? Trucks float, at least until they fill up with enough water. Engines can hydrolock, and electronics don't enjoy getting wet.

KD-100

Rank III

Member III

Morgan Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Khanh
Last Name
Dinh
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6TYM
I picked up someone's folding chair that was left behind. A couple of people mentioned it could be Franks.

PapaDave

US West Region Member Rep

Member III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6BKH
Overland Expo West Flagstaff

To anyone interested I am going to be heading to Overland expo leaving Wednesday the 22nd at about 11 AM from Milpitas. I will be heading there with a U-Haul trailer behind my truck because PullKitchen will be a vendor at the show. We will be staying the night off of Kelbaker Road and I40 at a campsite that isn’t too far off the highway. My goal is to reach Overland expo by Thursday 2 PM or so allowing us enough time to set up the booth.

If anyone would like to tagalong with us you are more than welcome but know we won’t be going too fast because of the trailer. Regardless everyone is welcome to meet at the PullKitchen booth, D17, at 5 PM on Saturday and we will try to have a fun night hanging out together. I hope everyone is doing well.

Roger 2486

Rank III
Adventure

Contributor III

Concord CA
First Name
Roger
Last Name
Fielding
Member #

To anyone interested I am going to be heading to Overland expo leaving Wednesday the 22nd at about 11 AM from Milpitas. I will be heading there with a U-Haul trailer behind my truck because PullKitchen will be a vendor at the show. We will be staying the night off of Kelbaker Road and I40 at a campsite that isn’t too far off the highway. My goal is to reach Overland expo by Thursday 2 PM or so allowing us enough time to set up the booth.

If anyone would like to tagalong with us you are more than welcome but know we won’t be going too fast because of the trailer. Regardless everyone is welcome to meet at the PullKitchen booth, D17, at 5 PM on Saturday and we will try to have a fun night hanging out together. I hope everyone is doing well.
Travel safe and enjoy the expo!

TrailHawkGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

Danville, CA, USA
First Name
Armin
Last Name
Pressler
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6GTZ

@PapaDave - I plan on joining you from Milpitas- may leave a little early from camp to meet the convoy so we are in the same camp spot at the expo

Do you have geo loc of the kelbaker/i40 camp spot you have in mind ?

PapaDave

US West Region Member Rep

Member III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
A
Member #

Ham Callsign
KN6BKH
@PapaDave - I plan on joining you from Milpitas- may leave a little early from camp to meet the convoy so we are in the same camp spot at the expo

Do you have geo loc of the kelbaker/i40 camp spot you have in mind ?
Kelbaker Road rock area off Kelbaker RD and I40

N 34°44'44.10", W 115°39'7.44"

I’ll likely have the trailer packed up at our shop by 10-11am Wednesday.1972D3AC-D0B7-4DB7-BD6F-C2421840DAFA.jpeg67B36C09-C841-4D9B-A0EF-A183BEDC6325.jpeg

cug

Rank 0

Contributor III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Guido
Last Name
GNE
Hi Everyone, we have a meet up this Sunday. This will be a good one as we will be discussing these photos attached to this post. Everyone is ok and the photos and stories shared this Sunday are with permission so we all can learn.

OVERLAND BOUND EAST BAY MEETUP THIS SUNDAY 9-12-21

We are meeting this Sunday 1-3pm at Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, at the end of the parking lot under the giant oak.

Labor Day weekend there was a roll over accident that happened on the edge of Death Valley and we thought it would be a good event to dissect and discuss what went wrong, what went well, and further levels of prepareness and organization. What we are doing requires an appropriate depgree of respect and appreciation that things can go badly quickly and working out ahead of time what needs to be done in such an event will be helpful for anyone who off roads.

We will also be discussing Overland Expo West and those who might be going. Overland Expo West in Flagstaff AZ is Sept 24-26th.

Monthly Meet Up
September 12, 2021 1-3pm
9801 Foothill Rd
Sunol, CA 94586
View attachment 209191View attachment 209194View attachment 209192View attachment 209193View attachment 209195
i missed the meetup, but still curious what happened with that roll over. Links?