US West East Bay Monthly Meet Up - Pleasanton Ridge regional park CA - AUGUST MEET up moved to Aug 20- OLD THREAD

• HTML tutorial

PapaDave

Local Expert Northern ID and North East WA

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Just got back from Moab with some friends within the Bay Area. Did Hell’s Revenge and Top of the World and 4 other trails but the first two was the highlight of the trip.
Hell’s Revenge looks scary, how was it

Bugeyz

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Fairfield, CA, USA
First Name
Ric
Last Name
Mir
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STD
Just got back from Moab with some friends within the Bay Area. Did Hell’s Revenge and Top of the World and 4 other trails but the first two was the highlight of the trip.
Hell’s Revenge looks scary, how was it
The videos you see in YouTube mostly shows the very technical trails but these are mostly trails you can skip. What YouTube doesn’t show are the actual trails you have to go through in order to make it through the 6.5 miles loop. If there’s fear of heights, not the place to go. If you’re driving alone, you gotta keep coming off from your rig to assess the trail before you can move forward. The sandstones offer great traction but identifying your path of travel is important as you need to prepare your rig for the tight turns. I have proven that my rig can handle a 32 degree drop/rise and 21 degrees of lateral tilt, talk about white knuckle driving. There were 6 rigs in our group: 2 jeeps, 1 Tacoma (stock), 1 80 series landcruiser, 1 4Runner, 1 F250. The only issue we had was with the Tacoma, managed to wedge itself on a tight drop and had to be winched out.

I’d encourage everyone to try it, great feeling of accomplishment when you get to the end of the trail. Knowing our group had a varying degree of rigs and experience, I can say it’s doable for all.

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
I found this video to be pretty entertaining and informative. And if anyone knows Dr Tony Prave tell him he can ride with us any day

Minute 16:00 or so is pretty cool talking about Badwater Basin.

Last edited:

CemenTRDgen

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Concord, Contra Costa County, California, United States
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Quimby
Member #

Is this a day trip?
Depends on where you are coming from, if you want make the drive to the starting location, run the trail and go home the same day. Lot's of dispersed camping opportunities in this area. I will be camping at a spot about an hour away for the weekend.

Reactions: PapaDave

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Just a reminder the meet up is THIS SATURDAY, not Sunday due to Mother’s Day. Post #2 in this thread always has the current month’s info.

OVERLAND BOUND EAST BAY MEETUP

Monthly Meet Up
Saturday May 7th, 2022 1-3pm
Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park (staging area)
9801 Foothill Rd
Sunol, CA 94586

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Hey btw!

OVERLAND EXPO WEST

If anyone is going to Overland Expo West in Flagstaff later in May, Overland Chef Jesse Houston www.instagram.com/overlandchef will be doing cooking demonstration‘s from the CBI Off Road booth only on Friday. He has his brand new custom PullKitchen that he will be demonstrating from. His speciality is cast iron over fire and his new PullKitchen will be his prep station as he films episodes of his new TV show. He is also an OLB member. Swing by on Friday and tell him Dave and Parker say hi! Free samples around noon or so too!

8C12DAD5-6333-4B9E-A04D-483E1367586A.jpegE4288D42-CBCE-4852-A12F-EE02BEE39EBB.jpeg1FC41F6D-209C-45E9-BC5D-B5CADD840382.jpeg
His PullKitchen was not quite finished in this photo

Last edited:

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Quick update re Prewitt Ridge....

I think someone else already mentioned, but confirming Nacimiento-Ferguson Road closed going east from Kirk Creek, due to damage from Dolan fire. No ETA per the folks staffing the Big Sur Ranger Station.

Access to Prewitt still possible via Los Burros Road a few miles south on 1. Road in good shape and passable by any 4x4 - numerous 12% grade sections and one 14%, surface mostly pine duff dust mixed with sandstone below 3000', hardpack sandstone above 3K.

Weather yesterday was 58 with patchy low fog at Big Sur, 85 and clear at Prewitt, down to 50's overnight. Black flies out in force. Had the place to ourselves, but saw a few campers around Miguel.

20220525_180210.jpg
20220525_180259.jpg
Screenshot_20220525-203638_Speedtest.jpg

PapaDave

Protector II

Coeur d'Alene, ID, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Addington
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BKH
Quick update re Prewitt Ridge....

I think someone else already mentioned, but confirming Nacimiento-Ferguson Road closed going east from Kirk Creek, due to damage from Dolan fire. No ETA per the folks staffing the Big Sur Ranger Station.

Access to Prewitt still possible via Los Burros Road a few miles south on 1. Road in good shape and passable by any 4x4 - numerous 12% grade sections and one 14%, surface mostly pine duff dust mixed with sandstone below 3000', hardpack sandstone above 3K.

Weather yesterday was 58 with patchy low fog at Big Sur, 85 and clear at Prewitt, down to 50's overnight. Black flies out in force. Had the place to ourselves, but saw a few campers around Miguel.

View attachment 231218
View attachment 231219
View attachment 231220
Thanks for the trip report and good news