Launch Member

Advocate III

San Diego, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Gossett
Member #

Just got a 2019 T4R. It's going to be a daily driver, but also needs to fulfill adventure duties. So I'm having a hard time finding the right roof rack. I had a FrontRunner Slimline on my 2016 Tacoma, but it slaughtered the MPGs. It wasn't a big deal because the Tacoma wasn't a DD. But things changed and I got rid of the Tacoma. I like a lot of the rack offerings, but what I'd really like is a rack which can be left off the T4R for most of the time, but that I can easily plop on the roof when we get ready for a trip. It also should be nearly a full length rack. So far the ARB is really the only thing I see which is easily removable. I'd have to drill and rivet in a groove track which would allow me to install the rack easily. And the fact the rack is aluminum is a big plus. Most of the larger racks I've looked at are pretty much permanent solutions. I don't care for the little basket racks put out by Yakima and Thule. Hoping maybe some of you guys know of some other solutions.

I’m also considering the 7/8 Prinsu rack as many of you who have it say it has minimal impact on MPGs. I really like the Gobi but I think the MPG hit isn’t worth it. I will be driving about 70 miles per day.

Last edited:

Sstromerson

Rank I

Contributor III

WA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Stromerson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CVA
A little late on the reply but I would recommend looking into the rhino rack pioneer platform. If you have the raised siderails the platform would come off with the clamp style towers. If you don't have the siderails they have quick release towers that will work a track system that can be installed as well.
I can't speak to the MPG hit though.

Reactions: theMightyGoose