Rank 0

Contributor I

New Hampshire
First Name
B
Last Name
Smith
Hi folks,

I’m thinking of heading to Ouray spring/early summer (late May/early June) to do the trails in the area. I want to drive some of the higher elevations like Imogene Pass, etc. but realize some passes may be blocked from the winter snow.

Im driving from NH (3 day drive) and my schedule is flexible so what would be your recommendations as to the earliest ballpark timeframe to arrive and have the greatest likelihood of accessing these trails? My goal is to get there before any potential summer crowds. I also plan to stay in a private campground there.

Thanks!

mountainrecce

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO 80920, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
By mid July 2019 there was only one through pass open, others opened by the end of July. There was a lot of late season snow and 100 year avalanche activity. Most folks here shoot for mid-late July for higher mountain passes.

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
It all depends on the snow. On or about May 15, 2018, the only pass that was open was Animas Forks & Cinnamon Pass from Silverton to Lake City. We did it with high water crossings and tons of snow.

In 2019, a majority of the trails did not open until Mid July as shared by others above. We crossed Ophir in mid to late July and the snow on the sides of the trail was taller than my 4Runner.

Camping, no matter what flavor is plentiful. Free if you stay at Ironton on the creek.

mountainrecce

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Colorado Springs, CO 80920, USA
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0VGV
It all depends on the snow. On or about May 15, 2018, the only pass that was open was Animas Forks & Cinnamon Pass from Silverton to Lake City. We did it with high water crossings and tons of snow.

In 2019, a majority of the trails did not open until Mid July as shared by others above. We crossed Ophir in mid to late July and the snow on the sides of the trail was taller than my 4Runner.

Camping, no matter what flavor is plentiful. Free if you stay at Ironton on the creek.
IMG_0310.jpg

Edy Coyote

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Denver CO
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

Can anyone give me some advice (not any rig specific propaganda, real talk) about Immogene and Engineer passes. Short wheel base pickups will make it correct? Thanks

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Can anyone give me some advice (not any rig specific propaganda, real talk) about Immogene and Engineer passes. Short wheel base pickups will make it correct? Thanks
Short wheel base will be fine. I've taken my stock Avalanche over them a number of times.

Reactions: Stickman

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
Lol. Not open until June or the snow melts this year. Last year it was July before they were open.

Engineer's pass it doable.
Imogene will scare you to death in some places. Be careful. Stay off black bear unless you have lockers and such.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Historically, most of the trails are open by July 4th. 2019 was an anomaly, but it is important to mention that you cannot predict the weather!

Back in 2005 I met a Grand Caravan at the top of Imogene with a family of 4 or 5 in the van. I can only imagine how hot the transmission got on the way up and how hot the brakes got on the way down :openmouth:

Absolutely!

Stay off black bear unless you have lockers and such.
I would argue that lockers could be a hindrance on the tight BBP switchbacks :wink: It is not a trail to mentally take lightly, but most stock 4wd's with low range and a relatively short wheel base should have no problem. Yes, I know some Subi's and Honda's have gone down. I've been over it dozens of times in everything from a stock XJ, stock 100 series, a stock TJ and a mostly stock long bed MJ. It is certainly easiest to navigate the steps and switchbacks in a lifted TJ.

Last edited:

Stickman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Eads, TN
First Name
Craig
Last Name
Treanor
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4FBH
I met a Grand Caravan at the top of Imogene in 2005. I can only imagine how hot the transmission got on the way up and how hot the brakes got on the way down :openmouth:

Absolutely!

I would argue that lockers could be a hindrance on the tight BBP switchbacks :wink: It is not a trail to mentally take lightly, but most stock 4wd's with low range and a relatively short wheel base should have no problem. Yes, I know some Subi's and Honda's have gone down. I've been over it dozens of times in everything from a stock XJ, stock 100 series, a stock TJ and a mostly stock long bed MJ. It is certainly easiest to navigate the steps and switchbacks in a lifted TJ.
Agreed. Watch YouTube videos of route in advance. Might help.

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
I used to live in montrose about 40 miles north of ouray. You might get lucky in August LOL. No I wouldn’t plan a trip until July to be honest especially this year my brother lives there still said they got pounded this winter

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Exploring_parks

Rank I
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

American Fork, UT, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Parks
I used to live in montrose about 40 miles north of ouray. You might get lucky in August LOL. No I wouldn’t plan a trip until July to be honest especially this year my brother lives there still said they got pounded this winter
My wife and I were planning on leisurely driving around the area of Ouray next week and camping a few nights (we're not picky about where, as long as a mountain is in sight lol). Is that feasible, even with the trails snowed over? We're from Texas and wanted to get away to some mountain air.

Thanks!

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
Absolutely you got to realize the San Juan mtns are over 13000 feet above sea level. It doesn’t matter you get to see mtns for hundreds of miles

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I have been reading all the mountain passes reports and my wife & I will be heading to the San Juans on the 27th of June and staying there till the 5th of July. Dispersed camping mostly and we will pop into a campground for a couple of nights just to buy a shower. If any other couples would like to join us for the trail rides and/or camping send me a message. Yes we plan on doing the favorites and a couple of easy ones, too. I always start off with the easy ones to get my wife used to praying and crying profusely before we hit the good mountain passes :tearsofjoy: