• HTML tutorial

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Hey guys,
So I got a project for this weekend to repaint my Thule roof / cargo box. I plan on sanding it down with either steel wool and / or sand paper to get that clear coat off and to roughen the surface. I was looking for recommendations on paint to use. Rattle can approach I'm thinking. I thought about Plastidip but I don't think it'll last. Maybe Rustoleum? What other options do I have out there? It doesn't have to be pretty. Input appreciated!

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

If black you could go with Raptor undercoating. A lot of people are using it to paint hard tops, entire rigs, entire trailers and stowage boxes.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking for something not so involved with a compressor and all. I want something that would hold up but I can easily touch it up with a spritz if needed.

S

SubeeBen

Pictures would help but from what I know spend $50 or $100 & get it powder coated. The paint will outlast your grandchildren

Reactions: LostInSocal

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@LostInSocal
Hey guys,
So I got a project for this weekend to repaint my Thule roof / cargo box. I plan on sanding it down with either steel wool and / or sand paper to get that clear coat off and to roughen the surface.
Powder coated will not work as most of the Thule boxes are vacuum-formed so they will lose shape when heated.

Is yours Plastic or fiberglass? Type of material will determine the type of paint needed.
Bed liner will work for either. I'd scuff it up with something more aggressive than steel wool, say start at 400 grit wet dry and progress up to 800 grit before switching to Steel wool.
Wash it with water between each grit, wipe down with a tack cloth or lint free rag and denatured alcohol.
Prime it with a primer designed to stick to plastic/fiberglass. Sand with 800 Wet Dry to drop the peaks, wipe, Prime, Sand, wipe...
Paint with paint that is compatible with your Primer. Sand, wipe, Paint, Sand, wipe, Paint

Good video on the Prep steps. This guy is painting to match his car so he is using a Harbor Freight spray gun:

Here is another good video on how to spray can Automotive plastic.

Another options is to vinyl wrap it. A guy at my work wrapped his in a weekend and it came out great.

Final option just sticker the hell out of it. :smiley::tonguewink:

Boort

Last edited:

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Thanks everyone.
@Boort, I appreciate the detailed writeup. Lots of good ideas.
I believe the box is fiberglass. I probably could have done a better job with the sanding. I wish I had posted the question earlier seeing as you all had some good options. I ended up dropping by Lowe's after work and picked up some Krylon. I've done my first coat and it only took one can. I have three more. :P

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@LostInSocal
Thanks everyone.
@Boort, I probably could have done a better job with the sanding. I wish I had posted the question earlier seeing as you all had some good options. I ended up dropping by Lowe's after work and picked up some Krylon. I've done my first coat and it only took one can. I have three more. :P
Cool! Sand lightly between each of the next coats. Be sure to post pics when done and mounted on your rig!

Boort

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

van sickle tractor paint , takes a little practice to get it to run smooth but it's super tough and stays shiny for a very long time
Thanks but I'm committed now :)
Been battling the streaking though. Probably going to call it good and let it cure. Come back later if touch up is required.

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Hey everyone. Here is the result of the face lift. I'm not totally happy with it mainly because of the streaking on the top. At a later date I may throw on several coats of Plastidip. But for $15, I'm fairly happy.

20180830_181942.jpg 20180831_134718.jpg

Reactions: Boort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Hey everyone. Here is the result of the face lift. I'm not totally happy with it mainly because of the streaking on the top. At a later date I may throw on several coats of Plastidip. But for $15, I'm fairly happy.
Looks sweet! It's on the top. No one will know those streaks are there except you. Besides take her out into the woods and some low branches will pinstripe them for you! :D

You can still sticker over them with all of the places you go in your truck.

Boort

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

Looks sweet! It's on the top. No one will know those streaks are there except you. Besides take her out into the woods and some low branches will pinstripe them for you! :D

You can still sticker over them with all of the places you go in your truck.

Boort
Yes sir. My thoughts exactly! Worse case, I sand it down and go with another medium.