Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

So me and my family (wife, 5 and 10 year old girls) will be doing a 2-3 week trip from nj to PNW and back in August. We will probably hit a KOA or some kind of campsite everynight, question is, we have gone camping a bunch with our yeti 45 with the yeti ice pack things and it keeps stuff super cold but will thaw meat. I want to bring frozen meat on the road with us and some other frozen goods.

Question is, I am wondering if I should just get a dual zone and replace the yeit all together vs just getting a small freezer. I am in the process of building out my long bed tacoma, it will have a 122 leer topper so should have plenty of height.

thoughts?

steve

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
You can use pretty much any fridge as a freezer simply but turning it to the lowest setting. I have a Dometic Cfx65dz, I like having a freezer, but it uses a lot of space. I don’t have children with, but I do like having ice cream along. If you’re serious about a dual zone, go with a true dual zone. The Dometic CFX75dz or a snomaster, any brand that separate compartments.
Another option is dry ice in your Yeti. Maybe pick up a Lifetime cooler at Walmart for $100. (made in the US, just as good as a yeti) Dry ice would work as a freezer in one of those.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Oops... having suggested another cooler, I love my fridge and will only use a cooler when necessary. If you’re longing to buy a fridge, buy one! It’s a game changer!

dg333

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Stv
Last Name
DMg
Member #

Oops... having suggested another cooler, I love my fridge and will only use a cooler when necessary. If you’re longing to buy a fridge, buy one! It’s a game changer!
yeah I was looking at t CFX65dz wonder if it will fit in front of my wheelwell

steve

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
A fridge is truly a game changer, Not needed, just a great move on our part. My Yeti(s) sit in the garage now. If you are considering a dual zone, do it! That is my only regret, I took advantage of a great deal, and did not wait for dual zone funding... That being said, with practice, I can keep frozen goods frozen for a few days and the rest of the goods REALLY Cold... A benefit of the duals is, you can have both compartments doing all temp ranges.
I don't think you will regret the purchase, besides, the resale value stays high if you find you don't use it as planned.

Reactions: Nomadik Nova

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I love my fridge. I was first introduced to them on a week trip in Death Valley. I was the only one with an ice chest. My next trip out, I had a 50qt Engle fridge. Ive remote camped as long as two weeks with it and the only issue I have is, I love making dutch oven cobbler. Without the freezer...no ice cream. Im not sure if I want to loose the space getting a dual, they are a bit big.

Scott

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I’ve gone the cheapo route. I’ve got a small cooler, an “Island Breeze,” inside my larger cooler. I cover the frozen food I put inside it with a high quality cooler brick and a closed-cell foam pad. In moderate weather I’ve had food stay frozen for five days. No where near as good as a real fridge/freezer of course, but also just a tiny fraction of the cost.