Dual Zone vs Single Zone w/ Cooler

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

steve dimaggio

Rank II

Contributor I

Member #

So me and my family (wife, 5 and 10 year old girls) will be doing a 2-3 week trip from nj to PNW and back in August. We will probably hit a KOA or some kind of campsite everynight, question is, we have gone camping a bunch with our yeti 45 with the yeti ice pack things and it keeps stuff super cold but will thaw meat. I want to bring frozen meat on the road with us and some other frozen goods.

Question is, I am wondering if I should just get a dual zone and replace the yeit all together vs just getting a small freezer. I am in the process of building out my long bed tacoma, it will have a 122 leer topper so should have plenty of height.

thoughts?

steve

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Supporter +

Advocate II

Liberty Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Gilmer
Member #

Ham Callsign
KI7TFB
You can use pretty much any fridge as a freezer simply but turning it to the lowest setting. I have a Dometic Cfx65dz, I like having a freezer, but it uses a lot of space. I don’t have children with, but I do like having ice cream along. If you’re serious about a dual zone, go with a true dual zone. The Dometic CFX75dz or a snomaster, any brand that separate compartments.
Another option is dry ice in your Yeti. Maybe pick up a Lifetime cooler at Walmart for $100. (made in the US, just as good as a yeti) Dry ice would work as a freezer in one of those.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Supporter +

Advocate II

Liberty Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Gilmer
Member #

Ham Callsign
KI7TFB
Oops... having suggested another cooler, I love my fridge and will only use a cooler when necessary. If you’re longing to buy a fridge, buy one! It’s a game changer!

steve dimaggio

Rank II

Contributor I

Member #

Oops... having suggested another cooler, I love my fridge and will only use a cooler when necessary. If you’re longing to buy a fridge, buy one! It’s a game changer!
yeah I was looking at t CFX65dz wonder if it will fit in front of my wheelwell

steve

Laud

Rank VI

Advocate III

Southeast Arlington TX
Member #

Ham Callsign
-KG5QHC-
A fridge is truly a game changer, Not needed, just a great move on our part. My Yeti(s) sit in the garage now. If you are considering a dual zone, do it! That is my only regret, I took advantage of a great deal, and did not wait for dual zone funding... That being said, with practice, I can keep frozen goods frozen for a few days and the rest of the goods REALLY Cold... A benefit of the duals is, you can have both compartments doing all temp ranges.
I don't think you will regret the purchase, besides, the resale value stays high if you find you don't use it as planned.

Reactions: NovaBound

smritte

Rank VI

Traveler I

Ontario California
Member #

Ham Callsign
KO6BI
I love my fridge. I was first introduced to them on a week trip in Death Valley. I was the only one with an ice chest. My next trip out, I had a 50qt Engle fridge. Ive remote camped as long as two weeks with it and the only issue I have is, I love making dutch oven cobbler. Without the freezer...no ice cream. Im not sure if I want to loose the space getting a dual, they are a bit big.

Scott

RedRob

Rank V
Supporter

Advocate II

Sonora, CA
Member #

Ham Callsign
KM6VUL
I’ve gone the cheapo route. I’ve got a small cooler, an “Island Breeze,” inside my larger cooler. I cover the frozen food I put inside it with a high quality cooler brick and a closed-cell foam pad. In moderate weather I’ve had food stay frozen for five days. No where near as good as a real fridge/freezer of course, but also just a tiny fraction of the cost.