• HTML tutorial

sapietrzak

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Pietrzak
Anyone running a dual battery setup? I have my 03 Jeep WJ and I bought a optima red top. Thought it was a 6 cell but its only a 3 cell (6v) was thinking of keeping it and putting a dual setup in my WJ.

Reactions: Luis Merlo

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
If you keep that battery, your need for a dual-battery setup would be much different than most on here.
You need to put them together all the time to make 12V, most of us need to separate them to have 12V, and run things like fridges and winches and lights while not worrying about having the starting battery drained.
A dual 6v system has some advantages but it's a little strange to have that set up in a jeep like yours.

sapietrzak

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Pietrzak
I have a regular 12v for my normal battery. I was going to replace it with a optima red top. I thought I ordered a 12v but ended up with a 6v. I am just curious if it would be worth to run as a dual setup of just return it.

MarkW

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I personally would not think you would see benefits worth the work of doing a dual setup with that battery. It might be better than a single 12V but probably not worth the time and expense to make it work.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

To run any optional equipment from your second battery, you need 12 Volts. So you'll either need to return your 6 Volt battery and get a 12 Volt, or get a second 6V to run in series with your other 6Volt battery. But then you have three batteries!

My MG has two 6 Volt batteries in series, because at the time, two 6 Volt batteries had more cranking power than one 12 Volt battery. Today, there's no advantage to running a pair of 6 Volt batteries. I replaced them both with one 12 Volt garden tractor battery.

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

Yeah better off returning it and getting a second 12V if possible use a try like the one above to keep them together. If not you will need battery isolator, long lengths of 00 or 000 wire depending on load 6/0 . Then you would likely want to divide your power drawl. If you do run two batteries its also best if you have 2 of the same battery, type, capacity, age.

dstock

Rank VI

Influencer I

Lake Arrowhead, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Stockslager
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZGS
Just keep in mind the red top Optima is a starting battery not a "dual purpose" or deep cycle battery, yellow top Optima would be better and functions both as a starting or deep cycle battery. Either way, I would swap it out for 12v.