Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I'm starting to plan out the power system for my rig and am having a bit of hard time wrapping my head around everything. I am planning on starting with a dual battery system and then adding a solar panel later when I am more ready to add a fridge to the mix.
At this point I am leaning towards the National Luna dual battery kit. My main question is how I am going to tie the solar panel into the dual battery set up later. Will this work well with adding in a solar system or should I be looking in a different direction? Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: The Lone Overlander

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

I have a dual battery setup with a TMax controller. I also have a simple Coleman 75 watt solar panel and a controller. The controller is wired directly to the aux battery and I honestly only use the solar panel if I am parked for longer than a day. I have an appx 15 foot cable so I can park in the shade and place my solar panel in the sun. I actually have two 75 watt panels. I've only ever found I needed one with the Xterra. If I'm using my travel trailer I also have a solar controller in it, and I'll use both solar panels with it. I have a Dometic CF50 fridge, and some auxiliary led strip lights which run off the aux battery when I'm parked.

Sent from the Mountains

Last edited:

Rolasolar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Forest Lake, Queensland, Australia
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gurman
Member #

I'm starting to plan out the power system for my rig and am having a bit of hard time wrapping my head around everything. I am planning on starting with a dual battery system and then adding a solar panel later when I am more ready to add a fridge to the mix.
At this point I am leaning towards the National Luna dual battery kit. My main question is how I am going to tie the solar panel into the dual battery set up later. Will this work well with adding in a solar system or should I be looking in a different direction? Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
Hi wrmmt,
In my opinion the Traxide isolators (Manufactured in Australia) are the best on the market, I have no connection to this company :). I have had one fitted in my last four vehicles (last 15 years). In most situations the SC-80 would do the job well, I currently have a USI-160 dual battery isolator fitted to my Jeep Wrangler. This is a good option as I intend to fit a winch in the future.

As there is limited room under the bonnet of the CRD diesel the USI-160 Dual Battery Isolator it fitted under the bonnet and aux battery is fitted in the rear of the vehicle. Twin core 16mm2 (5AWG) wire runs through a manual resetting 60A circuit breaker under the bonnet down to the rear of the vehicle and connects to the aux battery. A manual resetting 50A circuit breaker is connected to this aux battery to a 50A anderson plug at the rear of the vehicle. The camper with its 130AH AGM battery connects to the anderson plug on the rear of the vehicle for under tow charging from the alternator.

What I like about the USI-160 Isolator is it has 4 User-Selectable operating modes, these are :
  1. Ignition On Mode
    Cut-In at 13.1v, Cut-Out at 12.6v ( similar to other isolators )
  2. Shared Mode
    Cut-In at 13.1v, Shared mode 12.7v, Cut-Out at 12.0v
  3. Jump Start Mode
    Manually selectable between 10.0v and 12.7v
  4. Winch Mode
    Manually selected above 13.1 ( motor must be running ), but once selected, will operate down to 10.0v
The SC-80 (DT-90) also has most of these functions.

Solar and Battery Charger operation.
With the USI-160 in the SHARED Mode, you can connect solar panels ( via a solar regulator ) or a battery charger to either battery in a USI-160 dual battery set up and all batteries will be charged. If you have an Anderson plug mounted at the back of your vehicle, you can connect your solar or battery charger through the Anderson plug and again, all batteries in a USI-160 dual battery set up will be charged. But if you have a specific need to only charge your Auxiliary Battery, then by selecting IGNITION Mode and connecting the solar panels or battery charger to the Auxiliary Battery, you will be able to charge it, while the Cranking battery remains isolated.

SOLAR CHARGING
With our Vehicle and teardrop camper setup we charge by solar at camp through the camper and/or the vehicle through the 50A anderson plugs, this is done through a solar regulator at each solar panel. There is no issue connecting a solar panel (roof mounted) through a solar regulator directly to the vehicle aux battery even with the battery isolator feeding power from the alternator.

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I have a dual battery setup with a TMax controller. I also have a simple Coleman 75 watt solar panel and a controller. The controller is wired directly to the aux battery and I honestly only use the solar panel if I am parked for longer than a day. I have an appx 15 foot cable so I can park in the shade and place my solar panel in the sun. I actually have two 75 watt panels. I've only ever found I needed one with the Xterra. If I'm using my travel trailer I also have a solar controller in it, and I'll use both solar panels with it. I have a Dometic CF50 fridge, and some auxiliary led strip lights which run off the aux battery when I'm parked.
Do you have the panel attached to your rig while driving, or do you just store it when on the move and then set it up when you get to camp? I'm sure with my use needs a dual battery will be all I need most of the time. I do park for a few days over the weekends a fair amount though around home, and I have plans to start using it a little more as a longer term expedition rig in the future, so I figure I will need it eventually...

Reactions: DTK406

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

@Rolasolar - Thanks! Looks like there is a lot of information on the Traxide website, definitely have some reading! Is there a difference between the SC-80 and USE-160 other than the winch mode? At this point I am planning on mounting the solar panel to my roof rack. It sounds like in this situation I would just tie it directly into the aux battery. Are the solar panels you're running more of an all in one set up with an inverter and everything else (like a goal zero or something along those lines), or did you put together the panel and all the components separately yourself?

Thanks again, that really helped!

Reactions: Rolasolar

trikebubble

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Penticton, BC
Member #

Do you have the panel attached to your rig while driving, or do you just store it when on the move and then set it up when you get to camp? I'm sure with my use needs a dual battery will be all I need most of the time. I do park for a few days over the weekends a fair amount though around home, and I have plans to start using it a little more as a longer term expedition rig in the future, so I figure I will need it eventually...
My two panels are portable. I keep the one we take on overland adventures stored inside the rooftop tent.

Sent from the Mountains

Rolasolar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gurman
Member #

@Rolasolar - Thanks! Looks like there is a lot of information on the Traxide website, definitely have some reading! Is there a difference between the SC-80 and USE-160 other than the winch mode? At this point I am planning on mounting the solar panel to my roof rack. It sounds like in this situation I would just tie it directly into the aux battery. Are the solar panels you're running more of an all in one set up with an inverter and everything else (like a goal zero or something along those lines), or did you put together the panel and all the components separately yourself?

Thanks again, that really helped!
I think the only difference between the SC-80 and USI-160 is the higher amps to handle winch mode. If you have any questions send an email to Tim at Traxide (tell him Dave from Rolasolar referred you). One of the good guys that likes a chat.

My setup is a portable 200watt rollable solar charge kit that charges a 130Ah AGM lead acid battery in the teardrop camper. I also run a lithium power pack which has an 1000w internal inverter and 80ah battery. I will put photo up of the setup soon.

Sent from my SM-G900I using OB Talk mobile app

wrmmt

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bozeman, Montana
First Name
William
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I think the only difference between the SC-80 and USI-160 is the higher amps to handle winch mode. If you have any questions send an email to Tim at Traxide (tell him Dave from Rolasolar referred you). One of the good guys that likes a chat.

My setup is a portable 200watt rollable solar charge kit that charges a 130Ah AGM lead acid battery in the teardrop camper. I also run a lithium power pack which has an 1000w internal inverter and 80ah battery. I will put photo up of the setup soon.
Thanks, I will have to send him a message! Id love to see pictures when you get them up. Do you have a controller for the isolator in the cab/trailer, or do you manually switch the mode on the isolator if needed?

Rolasolar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gurman
Member #

Thanks, I will have to send him a message! Id love to see pictures when you get them up. Do you have a controller for the isolator in the cab/trailer, or do you manually switch the mode on the isolator if needed?
The USI-160 is mounted under the bonnet next to the main battery and to bring the camper battery online to charge, I just connect the camper to the Jeep.

Scott Murray

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Leinster WA, Australia
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Murray
Member #

I run a Redarc BCDC charger that charges both batteries and then I have an anderson plug at the back of the cab that a solar panel can connect to. The redarc BCDC charger has an inbuilt regulator so that I can use only a solar panel with no need of a regulator.

RyanC

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Pinckney, MI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1RAC
I am looking into setting up dual batteries in my tacoma. An isolator/controller under the hood and the second battery will have to go in the bed. I would like to have an Anderson connector for it. I keep worrying about possible current draw if the batteries are not at the same charge level and could use some advice about cable size for that longer run and connector rating for the Anderson. I end up worrying about a 400 amp load and can't help thinking that I'm worrying about nothing since so many people have successfully done dual batteries without setting their rig on fire.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app

Rolasolar

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Dave
Last Name
Gurman
Member #

I am looking into setting up dual batteries in my tacoma. An isolator/controller under the hood and the second battery will have to go in the bed. I would like to have an Anderson connector for it. I keep worrying about possible current draw if the batteries are not at the same charge level and could use some advice about cable size for that longer run and connector rating for the Anderson. I end up worrying about a 400 amp load and can't help thinking that I'm worrying about nothing since so many people have successfully done dual batteries without setting their rig on fire.

Sent from my SM-G920V using OB Talk mobile app
Hi Ryan, as per my post I'm running 16mm2 (5B&S) from the the main battery to rear aux battery and then to the camper battery. I have run this setup through various vehicles over many years with effective charging without any issues.

Sent from my SM-G900I using OB Talk mobile app