Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Plastic grocery bag, doubles as trash.
I don't use a fridge or have a kitchen though.
I use a ice chest instead of fridge and my kitchen I guess is my tailgate or wherever I decide to put stuff down.

If you were going to be out for a long time I'd imagine you'd build a drawer special for dry food or put it in some sort of container like a milk crate or something.

Reactions: Peregrine

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I use Rubbermaid Action Backers. I did put a piece of tape over the holes under the handles.

Reactions: Shayhan27

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I keep most of my dry food, canned goods, unopened jars in a couple of Zarges cases. How it's packed changes and evolves depending on adventure, where I'm going, and how extended, and usually includes other kitchen stuff like foil, trash bags, containers for leftovers, etc. The Zarges cases are certified bear-resistant, which is pretty handy in places where you might get fined for leaving food out. Park Rangers have come into my camps and nodded at them and said "Good."

roaddude_partnerstove22-3699.jpg

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I keep most of my dry food, canned goods, unopened jars in a couple of Zarges cases. How it's packed changes and evolves depending on adventure, where I'm going, and how extended, and usually includes other kitchen stuff like foil, trash bags, containers for leftovers, etc. The Zarges cases are certified bear-resistant, which is pretty handy in places where you might get fined for leaving food out. Park Rangers have come into my camps and nodded at them and said "Good."

View attachment 190090
Wow those cases are pricey but nice. What is difference between the silver and black?

Reactions: Shayhan27 and Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Wow those cases are pricey but nice. What is difference between the silver and black?
The silver cases are the Zarges, the original expedition style cases. I chose two of the bear-resistant K470 sizes that have the same foot print, so stack very nicely and fit well into my packing scheme in both trailer and van. I have one deep one (#40678) and two shallower (#40810), and they've been worth every penny. You can strap them up top, leave them exposed to weather, stand on them, throw 'em in a lake (they serve as flotation in some vids I've seen) and are two of the three Zarges K470 sizes that are certified by the IGBC as Grizzly Bear Resistant.

The black cases are Front Runner Wolf Packs. Actually South African ammo cases private-labeled and sold by FRO and others for expedition travel. VERY handy and stout, and though plastic, very durable. I also have the Front Runner Cub Packs (image below), which are a bit smaller, though equally handy and durable. Both sizes stack really well, are super handy for all sorts of gear, and save space over a lot of other containers because they are straight-sided. They too can be packed up top and work really well with FRO Stratchits for securing.

cubpacks-nosebox_6620.jpeg
Four FRO Cub Packs and two FRO soft-sided Flat Packs on end in the nose box of the trailer.

A lot of my gear was chosen so it will survive me, so that my kid and her kid would hopefully use it in years to come and remember the adventures we took together and used it, from deserts to mountains to bayous or ocean shores. They get more beautiful with age; those Zarges cases especially; stickers, scratches, etc.

Last edited:

AntWookie

Rank IV

Advocate III

Tigard, Oregon, United States
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Reid
Member #

Right now I’m using a couple Plano Cases for everything, but I want to upgrade to a Front Runner Pack system, or I might go with a modular toolbox (ridged) setup for my dry food and kitchen setup

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The silver cases are the Zarges, the original expedition style cases. I chose two of the bear-resistant K470 sizes that have the same foot print, so stack very nicely and fit well into my packing scheme in both trailer and van. I have one deep one (#40678) and two shallower (#40810), and they've been worth every penny. You can strap them up top, leave them exposed to weather, stand on them, throw 'em in a lake (they serve as flotation in some vids I've seen) and are two of the three Zarges K470 sizes that are certified by the IGBC as Grizzly Bear Resistant.

The black cases are Front Runner Wolf Packs. Actually South African ammo cases private-labeled and sold by FRO and others for expedition travel. VERY handy and stout, and though plastic, very durable. I also have the Front Runner Cub Packs (image below), which are a bit smaller, though equally handy and durable. Both sizes stack really well, are super handy for all sorts of gear, and save space over a lot of other containers because they are straight-sided. They too can be packed up top and work really well with FRO Stratchits for securing.

View attachment 190186
Four FRO Cub Packs and two FRO soft-sided Flat Packs on end in the nose box of the trailer.

A lot of my gear was chosen so it will survive me, so that my kid and her kid would hopefully use it in years to come and remember the adventures we took together and used it, from deserts to mountains to bayous or ocean shores. They get more beautiful with age; those Zarges cases especially; stickers, scratches, etc.

Love how they have the same foot print, that makes things easier. Good find though!

Reactions: Road

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Mostly either in a flexible fabric bag or simply in a plastic bag, which fit into the storage area below the bed (easily accessible from the rear side door). Spices go in the space which is built into the interior of the rear door.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

We use a 5 gallon bucket with insulating liner and sealing twist top

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Front Runner Wolf Packs for Dry Goods, Paper Supplies, and Dog Food; Roam Boxes for Pots and Pans, Kitchen supplies, and Colman 1lb - 6 packs

Motomikeca

Rank VIII
Investor

Expedition Master II

Atwater, Merced County, California, United States
First Name
Mike&Jen
Last Name
Keith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Motomikeca
Husky makes red weatherproof storage tubs in various sizes. They have a nice seal around the lid and are great, keep moisture and dust out for a reasonable price. Check the out at Home Depot

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
Last time out I kept all my dry food and kitchen components in my Leitner Designs GearPOD XL. It worked out pretty well even though everything was loose and just loosely organized. I have since moved my non-food kitchen items (stove, pots and pans, utensils, fuel, etc.) into a Plano Sportsman's trunk, but I'm going to utilize the GearPOD XL as a food panty a couple more times to determine if I want to make it permanent food storage. I have a couple $2 flexible baskets I picked up at Home Depot that fit the space pretty well that I will use to keep food safe and better organized. If that doesn't work out the red waterproof Husky bins Motomikeca mentioned are tops on the list. They're pretty stout and a fair price. The aluminum boxes and Frontrunner containers are far out of my budget.

Husky makes red weatherproof storage tubs in various sizes. They have a nice seal around the lid and are great, keep moisture and dust out for a reasonable price. Check the out at Home Depot
I like these Husky Professional Duty storage containers, too. Many sizes to choose from.