Driving off a High Lift Jack

• HTML tutorial

BeastModeABM

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Big Bear City, CA
Member #

I always hear about people using a high lift jack to get out out of a sticky situation, by driving off the jack. H0w does this work? I've never found any actual video's on YouTube of this process.

I know many people hate the high lift jack but I'm still curious about this method....

John D.

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

porterville, ca
First Name
John
Last Name
Duffy
Member #

I've done this with a regular jack, the old bumper jacks, to get over a big rock in front of my traction tire.

robrtsmtn

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Aztec, NM
Member #

way long ago, I used a high lift jack to turn a pickup around 180 degrees where it stood, but that was by jacking it up and tipping the jack over. I'm not sure how anyone drives off one?

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Did that with an old beater once to get out of spot I shouldn’t have been in. Probably not something that you should do unless really necessary like the situation I was in. Definitely last ditch sorta thing, you’re pretty likely to damage the rig and or the jack, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do... not much to it though, jack it up and drive. My situation was when my hitch was hung on a rock and had no where to go, so I jacked the rear end up higher than the rock and drove. It was just enough to get the hitch on top of the rock so it could slide the rest of the way over. Tight spot at midnight after everything else failed...

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I guess I've never heard of 'driving off' a hi-lift. That maybe could only be done if the jack were lifting the side of the vehicle and I can't imagine the scenario when that would be the best choice.

However, when you lift a vehicle then "tip it over" to a more advantageous spot for better traction, I've done that several times with success, it's a useful if somewhat dangerous method. I've heard this called "casting off" the jack. It can be hard on the jack as well as the vehicle, but it is effective.

Reactions: John D.

Bisco Bum

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

TImmins Ontario
Member #

Casting off the Jack. I used to do this all the time with my 84 Toyota Pickup. You could lift the entire rear of the truck, and push it out of the ruts. Very Dangerous!!!
Impossible to do with my Raptor. With the suspension travel...I can't even get the tire off the ground.
As far as driving off a Jack....I don't see a scenario where a dented panel is not in your future. I would love to see a video of someone doing this correctly.

Reactions: Sparky

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
The scenario that I see is if the rear is stuck or hung up on something, lift the truck from the rear, drive forward.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
The scenario that I see is if the rear is stuck or hung up on something, lift the truck from the rear, drive forward.
I think this is the scenario where there is potential for most damage... where does the top of the jack end up? I think being forced into the rear of your vehicle with great force, no?

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
I think this is the scenario where there is potential for most damage... where does the top of the jack end up? I think being forced into the rear of your vehicle with great force, no?
I imagine it like a pole vault. truck goes forward, jack follows it in an arc that connects from the lift point to the ground. I'm not sure though, I've seen bumper jacks go over this way and it didn't kill the car, but who knows.

Either way, its one of those if you absolutely have to kind of moves.

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
Great info. I’d be very interested to see any one of these methods on video..

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Haha, you might find this kind of use filed under "how not to use a Hi-Lift Jack!"

I just did a quick search and there are many pages of everyones version of how to use, or how not to use a hi-lift!
Some good education there, but be careful of the educator, it runs the full range of experience it looks like.

I defer to guys like Bill Burke for the experience factor.

Dan

BigSwole

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Centreville, Virginia
Member #

Here are some pics of one of the guys in our group at Rausch Creek who got stuck on a Red trail. The red trails are rated 9 - 10 (hardest at the park). The group was supposed to be doing level 6 trails (blue). The trail we were on crossed this red and one guy wanted to try it. He got to the end but got stuck going over the log. I don't remember all the details of how he was stuck but he was able to cast off the hi jack. As far as I know there was no damage to the jeep and none to the hi jack. Also, I'm not suggesting to anyone that this is a safe and smart way to get unstuck. I'm just sharing some photos of someone actually doing it.

1111.jpg image (2).jpeg

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
@BigSwole those are some good pics of "casting off" a hi-lift - assuming that their plan is to push it over to one side or the other.
I can't see the foot they are using, I've seen some damage to the jack when the standard foot is used because of the rotation or twist in the jack in relation to the foot.
I have always used the Masdam accessory foot that replaces the original foot to use on hard surfaces. It would sink right in to what they're on there it looks like.

What the OP was thinking about (I think...) is driving off a jack, in other words, in these pics, as soon as they get the rear tires high enough to get over that pesky log, they drive forward (lockers) and that gets them out of trouble.
If I can imagine that, the jack would be pushed in to the rear bumper of the Jeep and damage it considerably.

Not to Monday morning quarterback it, (it is Monday morning :) ), another option would be to stack rocks under the tire to get the Jeep high enough to clear the log.
But in that case, I would use the wheel lift accessory to eliminate the suspension droop.

Dan.

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

In this case it sounds like one of those wheel adapters would do well, uses the hi lift to jack directly at the axle so you don't waste jack travel cycling through the suspension. I've never used one but it could have come in handy a few times.. we almost took my brother's door glass out last time we used a hi lift. He was stuck in a creek and shifty, wet rocks made for unsafe jacking.. ended up using a winch. Driving off a loaded jack would have to be a worst-case scenario for me, I hope everyone was standing clear away from that jack while this was going on.

LMTruck3-768x1024.jpg

Reactions: VCeXpedition

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
In this case it sounds like one of those wheel adapters would do well, uses the hi lift to jack directly at the axle so you don't waste jack travel cycling through the suspension. I've never used one but it could have come in handy a few times.. we almost took my brother's door glass out last time we used a hi lift. He was stuck in a creek and shifty, wet rocks made for unsafe jacking.. ended up using a winch. Driving off a loaded jack would have to be a worst-case scenario for me, I hope everyone was standing clear away from that jack while this was going on.

Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about. Every kit should have one.

I'm jealous of your shiny jack! :sunglasses: :yum:

Reactions: Sparky

SC_4Runner

Rank 0

Contributor II

This is very common at Uwharrie, NC. I’ve assisted or watched a half dozen of these in the past couples of years. I’ll post some videos. They work best when a rig is high centered or caught on a cross member.

The Hi-lift wheel mate is okay, but a 8’ tree saver works just as well. It’s best to begin with the the jack angled away from the vehicle, this way when the vehicle lifts and the jack moves back towards the vehicle, it stays clear of the body/paint. Use a second tree strap and slide the loop over the jack and handle. Have someone keep pressure on the jack so when the vehicle moves, it falls away from the body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: khorsa