Drawer system v. Tool box/storage boxes....

• HTML tutorial

Storage Drawers or Tool box/Storage box Solution?

• Storage Drawers

• Tool box/Storage box Solution

Results are only viewable after voting.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I am at a fork in the road when it comes to my cargo area storage solutions for my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have used soft sided bags, duffel bags in the past for gear, but that solution is NOT working as everything becomes a college dorm in the back of my Jeep and a cluttery mess. I need a better solution. So, I am caught between building/buying a storage drawer system, or purchasing tool box/work box/storage boxes as my solution such as Ridgid or others.

Drawer system-
Pro
Easy to store items as drawers are always there.
Ease of finding gear in sectioned drawers
Durability and mounting=no rattle/movement
Can built to own specs including drawers, anchors, table?, and other features
Looks factory, so perhaps the crooks won't know there is stuff in cargo area.

Con
I would like to have some modular capability with my trunk space; the ability to move and change my loadout for each trip. I am not sure if a drawer system could accommodate that.
Weight in trunk area. Even MDF or particle board is heavy in a drawer system.

Box system-
Pro
Cheaper than drawer system
Modular capabilities
Customization of box system
Light weight options

Con
Theft-lots of boxes/cases in trunk=no goodniks looking in windows.
Boxes and cases may shift during travel
Boxes and cases becoming clutter over travel time and as they are taking in and out
Anchoring boxes may become cumbersome

What am I missing? What system do you use? How do you like it? Do you wish you would have gone one solution over the other or wanted to change after deciding?

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
With mine I don't have options to get pre-made drawers unless I make them myself and I am thinking about it. I use the box system right now as I can modify contents as needed for the trip I am doing. I always strap them down so they do not move around during driving. SOme of the boxes go on the roof rack also. If I do a drawer system it will be for tools and cooking gear only with the rest of the camping equipment in boxes or bags and recovery gear in the tiny spare tire area under the drawers.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

While I considered building drawers, I went with the RIDGID modular storage options for flexibility. I occasionally need to transport stuff in the back of my 4Runner, and it is a lot easier to remove the RIDGID boxes than a drawer system.

I have one of the 6" tall tool boxes, one of the 12" tall boxes, and two of the oversize milk crates. I especially like how they fasten together with spring-loaded clips, and have an o-ring seal for water and dust resistance.

One of the milk crates lives behind the front passenger seat on the floor with stuff I keep in the vehicle all the time. The other milk crate and larger of my two tool boxes are stacked at the rear, beside my fridge slide. With Tempo Tusk's largest slide, the RIDGID boxes just fit snuggly between the frame of the slide and the wheel well cover. These contain my road tripping kitchen in the box and dry goods in the milk crate. They are easy to move to the garage, and more flexible than drawers.

I haven't used the smallest tool box yet. I'll likely use it in the trailer for kitchen gear. I looked at the largest case with wheels, but figured it was too large, and would make finding stuff harder. If I need the extra room, I'll just get another of the mid-sized tool boxes.

Madbodhi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Mayville WI
Member #

20170716_102035.jpg 20170914_123206.jpg
I use Ridgid boxes and I modify the lid with a soldering iron and add shock cord to reclaim some room. Very nice for smaller items. The boxes and all other gear live on a shelf in the basement, fully loaded and ready to go at a moments notice. I retain full use of my cargo area and can still be packed and off within 20 minutes.

Derty Offroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Im abou to build my own drawer system for the back of my JKU. Was thinking of building it in a 3 or 4 box combo, that way if Im only going for a day trip I dont have to load a huge box in the back. Figured it would be the best of both worlds even those i might lose some storage space.

My plan is to run a fridge unit on the left side, and have a 2 box unit for the right. The front being accessible from the rear of the jeep and and the rear box being accessible from the side/front. Tthis gives me the option to keep my full rear seat by removing the back box if needed or having an additional box with the 60 side folded down for longer trips.

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Well, I've had an epiphany. I am thinking of finding an old Military Field Desk and using the drawer portion as a cargo area drawer system for my Jeep. I will have to affix drawer locks to keep them in place, but the dimensions of the field desk (Below) is pretty close to what I wanted in a drawer system. Dunno, I'll kick the idea around a bit.

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
I’ve gone to a fully built out, dedicated cargo area with drawers and box fridge. I used to use Plano boxes and then smaller Wolfpack size boxes for all our camp gear which worked good but the pain was that you always have to unpack, stack, open the lid, close the lid, reorganize, stack, load, over and over. It becomes a pain after a while. Obviously the containers make the area super modular and are low impact which is a plus.

I built drawers after my second kid was born since having 2 car seats in the 2nd row made my Cruiser less and less multi use. Once the drawers came, the truck became pretty much a purpose built Adventure Rig. I can’t throw my bikes in back like before, or load it full of stuff from Home Depot etc. or do dump runs any more. That’s the main downside to having dedicated drawers. But you can’t beat getting to camp and everything is contained and easy to find, use and pack away. Thats why I built them. Efficiency.
Containers 81422A9B-677D-4A30-A230-D27F14E9A45D.jpeg 5A1A7A80-B41A-4B68-8E1E-FBEF764F65CB.jpeg Just finished building the drawer/fridge box. 150# of efficiency.7B5DC370-99D7-4F90-B4FA-83FB48466864.jpeg
So maybe it’s based on how flexible the use of your truck is.

Attachments

Reactions: Ditch and Thelgord

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
Well, This happened...LOVE how well it fits and the utility of it!

Army Field Desk I got for a song as a few spots need repair (a drawer needs re-bolting and gluing and other MINOR issues)

It fits like a glove in my JKU cargo area and allows for my Ice Chest to fit snuggly also!

7 Large drawers/almost 14" deep

And if I want, I can remove it and make it a Kitchen Box/Setup along with my Olympian Camp Kitchen.

I am super stoked with the fitment and options I have now.

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Well, This happened...LOVE how well it fits and the utility of it!

Army Field Desk I got for a song as a few spots need repair (a drawer needs re-bolting and gluing and other MINOR issues)

It fits like a glove in my JKU cargo area and allows for my Ice Chest to fit snuggly also!

7 Large drawers/almost 14" deep

And if I want, I can remove it and make it a Kitchen Box/Setup along with my Olympian Camp Kitchen.

I am super stoked with the fitment and options I have now.

Sweeeeet!

Reactions: ArmyofMike

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Old topic, but always worth the discussion for anyone on the proverbial fence. We did the box and bag system once upon a time, in a galaxy far away. Any marketed drawer system is way over priced, I'd rather have the gas money for another trip or two. So, I built my own. Cheap, and they have been holding up really well now for 4 years and multiple trips. The drawers in the trailer are more or less permanent as the trailer is dedicated. The drawers and hatch covered storage area in the LC can be removed easily as it is bolted down in the rear using stock threaded bolt holes and fastened in the front using turnbuckles. However, I've never removed it. I built it the same height as a folded down second row seat so we have six feet of cargo space. Things we use often or need to get at quickly are in the drawers. The hatch compartment stores things we don't use very often including a full case of commercial MREs. The drawers have vehicle stuff in one side, tools, spare fluids, parts, extraction equipment. In the other drawer, safety kit, camp lighting, hiking boots, spare dry clothing, chargers, batteries, lighters, etc etc. The drawers in the trailer are used for kitchen utensils, cookwear, coffee, tea, a flask or two, camp lighting, and dinner wear. If you have a little less that $200 and a bit of handyman in you, you too can build your own. I've upgraded them a bit since this old photo with dividers and found a better home for the fire extinguisher. They don't have to be fancy or perfect, they just need to be properly mounted and built well enough to take the beating. Good luck wih your Army field office. photo 4.jpg DSC00102.jpg DSC00045.jpg

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

I may be crazy, but I was in Lowe’s around Christmas sale time and an idea came to me when I passed the tool box section and thought one of the smaller garage type tool boxes would maybe work well as a seudo drawer system. They usually have a lid on top for easy access, a couple different size drawers and all drawers can lock with one key. Obviously what you could put in it would be somewhat limited however.

Not sure if anyone has tried it but would like to get opinions from you all as to whether it may actually work. Figured they may be a little heavy and you’d have to bolt it in to prevent someone from walking away with the whole setup.

Again, was just a random thought. Curious to see what you all think.

Here is basically what I’m talking about.

D9C5AEF1-99B5-48EC-83FA-48C2A33514F0.jpeg

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I have found that carrying tools in a bag and in roll ups is much more practical for storage in the rig, and really handy for an actual trail repair. Grab a bag, a roll up, a hammer, and have everything right where you are working. However, a lifetime ago I had a box very similar to yours bolted to the bed of my 1960 F100. A full size pick up so plenty of room.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

SPJEEP4x4

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Wichita, KS
Member #

I have found that carrying tools in a bag and in roll ups is much more practical for storage in the rig, and really handy for an actual trail repair. Grab a bag, a roll up, a hammer, and have everything right where you are working. However, a lifetime ago I had a box very similar to yours bolted to the bed of my 1960 F100. A full size pick up so plenty of room.

I agree that a roll up bag would be the way to go for tools specifically. I was also thinking using it as storage for other gear as well.

I do appreciate your input though. I do need to get a roll up tool bag to start carrying.

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I have a soft sided tool bag from HF I paid less than $15 for and it works great for tools, recovery gear etc. I also believe the soft sided tool boxes are much easier to use and store.

Reactions: Inthewoods and MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Here’s the thing about tools.. I’ve seen guys carry around entire sets of tools and that takes up a ton of space and extra weight.. I mean, what’s the sense in carrying around an 11/16s wrench when it fits nothing on your rig.. it’s amazing how few tools one needs to carry for even an extensive repair job.. it’s like the buffet.. take what you eat and eat what you take.. take what you need and need what you take..

Derty Offroad

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

Here’s the thing about tools.. I’ve seen guys carry around entire sets of tools and that takes up a ton of space and extra weight.. I mean, what’s the sense in carrying around an 11/16s wrench when it fits nothing on your rig.. it’s amazing how few tools one needs to carry for even an extensive repair job.. it’s like the buffet.. take what you eat and eat what you take.. take what you need and need what you take..

I carry "entire sets" of tools for the fact that if I dont need them for my rig they may help someone else that is broke or in need on the trail. Its common here in AZ to run into broken down rigs and most of them carry no tools which blows my mind.

I rather have it and not need it then need it and dont have it. Plus a few extra wrenches is not going to put me over the tipping point on a Jeep that already weights close to 6000 lbs loaded.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Its common here in AZ to run into broken down rigs and most of them carry no tools which blows my mind.
That blows my mind as well. I would recommend that everyone out there carry at the very least a basic tool kit that contains wrenches and sockets that fit your vehicle.

However that's a lot of tools to be dragging around. Like you, I too have been, and always will be willing and able to help out someone in need, but entire sets of 1/2" sockets, regular, deep well, and impacts then all the 3/8" stuff, metric and SAE? Not to mention all the wrenches.screwdrivers, allen heads, torx heads, hammers, torque wrenches, 1/2" and 38", etc etc etc. That's just too much to be draggin around on our long range trips. I'd need a small roll off just to carry it, so I suppose our definition of "entire set" may be a little different. Peace brother :)

Reactions: Daryl 32