First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCoy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WREL219
Hello all,

I am apprehensive about posting. Maybe it’s just a pet peeve of mine being a retired military-minded person.

Please don’t get me wrong, I love animals especially dogs. Yep, this is about dogs and the owners NOT being attentive toward their animals.

I attended one of our OB meetups, place doesn’t matter. As we, all became comrades around the campfire, grew to know each other there was the issue of dogs running loose, not a problem right? Well not really getting back to my pet peeve.

Dogs will be dogs and if the owner doesn’t provide oversite on their pet, the dog will do what a dog does. (doodoo) It is the owner’s responsibility.

My question in this long iteration is who should approach the offending dog owner in camp. Where dogs leave deposits (turds) all around the camp. The owner unaware, uncaring as others in the group having to pick up someone else’s dog's deposits. I can continue with other BS about dogs but I think the point made.

What example are we making to others? Others who visited the OB gathering thinking about joining.
We are all out to have a great time, wheeling, and bragging about the road we took at the end of the day.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

Years ago, my sister had a house right next to the community mailbox cluster. People would walk their dogs to get the mail, and the dogs would crap in her yard. She put out a sign asking people to respect her yard which they did not abide by. She gathered the crap for several days and dropped it in front of the cluster with a sign that said, now it is everyones problem. The issue stopped. Maybe some crap in front of offending owners tent will resolve it?

• Haha
Reactions: TheRealMcCoy

Pretzel

Rank IV

Member III

Greenville, NC
First Name
Eric
Last Name
D.
Member #

As a very self-conscious owner of a couple of loud-mouthed but otherwise well behaved dogs, I can't abide poorly tended dogs. "Yo man, I've got a shovel or some bags if you need one to handle that land mine over there." would be my first approach. Relocating said land mine to under the driverside door of the owner would be my backup plan.

If it was an innocent oversight, like happening right when you turn the dogs loose and they're scrambling to wrangle kids, dogs and camp setup I'd do my friendly part and take care of it for them, but in your example they're not being responsible.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hello all,

I am apprehensive about posting. Maybe it’s just a pet peeve of mine being a retired military-minded person.

Please don’t get me wrong, I love animals especially dogs. Yep, this is about dogs and the owners NOT being attentive toward their animals.

I attended one of our OB meetups, place doesn’t matter. As we, all became comrades around the campfire, grew to know each other there was the issue of dogs running loose, not a problem right? Well not really getting back to my pet peeve.

Dogs will be dogs and if the owner doesn’t provide oversite on their pet, the dog will do what a dog does. (doodoo) It is the owner’s responsibility.

My question in this long iteration is who should approach the offending dog owner in camp. Where dogs leave deposits (turds) all around the camp. The owner unaware, uncaring as others in the group having to pick up someone else’s dog's deposits. I can continue with other BS about dogs but I think the point made.

What example are we making to others? Others who visited the OB gathering thinking about joining.
We are all out to have a great time, wheeling, and bragging about the road we took at the end of the day.
About half the folks in my regular group have dogs. None of us hesitate to let the owner of a dog who’s done it’s business know that a clean up is needed.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We are the owners of a large old German Shepard, While she is a super friendly dog who loves people, we are very conscious that a lot of people are nervous of large dogs, and we never let her run off leash, especially where others are around. She also does not typically like other dogs, which is not an issue unless inattentive owners let their dogs loose and they run up on her, the owners assuming that all dogs just just want to play. She has really bad hip dysplasia and cant handle being jumped on by other dogs. Please find out if those around you are comfortable with your pets running loose before hand is the responsible decision. We have found the little blue bags they sell for picking up the dog deposits are a joke, grocery sacks are a much better option size wise for a Shepard lol.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
This looks like a great place to share one of my favorite stories...

I also have a large GSD. I trained him with a local GSD owners group. One of the gals had an especially large GSD (120lbs) and she lived in a less than desirable part of town. She got fed up with watching other people allow their pets to do their business in her yard. She found a solution. As soon as she would see someone letting their dog use her yard she would call her dog and get his leash and then proceed to follow the offender. Invariably the offender would become disturbed by this and ask her what she thought she was doing. "Well, I figured if you wanted to leave a present in my yard I should return the favor in your yard."

She got a reputation as the crazy lady with the big dog. And she got a better quality of life.

Jhop567

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Sagle, Idaho
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Hopkins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRFL231
Service Branch
LEO
Went camping one time with an "individual" who had a female dog in heat. He let her run off leash through the camp and when we met up in the evenings around the fire, another camper had an unfixed male. Needless to say we had to watch the show while trying to enjoy each others company. When we were packing up to leave, I stepped in a deposit left by one of the lovers who decided my camp was the perfect place to unburden his/her self. I did let the owners know my displeasure with the whole situation.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Remember to mention a leash rule on your group rides.

Not everyone likes dogs. One pit bull got dropped last year for approaching the wrong guys family, wrong. Chaos ensued. Trip was ruined for most everyone.

K9LTW

Rank IV
Investor

Traveler III

Front Royal, VA
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Arnold
Member #

She also does not typically like other dogs, which is not an issue unless inattentive owners let their dogs loose and they run up on her...
This right here! I can’t begin to remember the number of times I’ve had to call out, “Recall your dog!” Sometimes more than once...loudly...while out hiking with one or both of mine. “Oh! He/she is friendly!” “Cool...MINE AREN’T!” My female Malinois will ignore any dog that ignores her. Beyond that? Nope...run up on her when she’s on a lead, and it’s not ending well. My Dutch Shepherd male is simply going to go ape with any dog. I know this...so I leash them if there’s even a chance of encountering someone with no line of sight to recall them, or always in a group setting.

After a muzzled introduction (only because 90% of people don’t know how to properly act around a new dog ), my Mal will be your best friend foreeeeeever. My boy will walk around muttering and whining as he’s a wuss...then when you’re sitting with your back turned, he’ll suddenly decide he wants petted . With that said...they scare the crap out of some people. Which is why I’ll always ask if they want to meet them, and not let them roam a gathering.

I once had a guy hiking towards me, my wife, and my Mal a few years ago. Loose, small dog. Very friendly, but happily picking its way through the rocks on a beeline right to Alexa, my Mal on a hip lead. I start SCREAMING, then wonder...”Shit...this kid may be legit deaf!” Wild arm-waving ensues. Nope...he had ear buds in. At this point, I grabbed Alexa’s harness and had her on my shoulder as she was about to eat the usurper. “DUDE! Get. Your. F*@cking. Dog!” He was genuinely apologetic...a rarity in itself anymore...which defused things immensely. But that’s the closest we ever came to a complete disaster on trail, and my adrenaline was spiked for a good while afterwards.

Attachments

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'm a cat person, not friendly with dogs of any size, kids and most other humans. Owning a farm ive had to take care of quite a few k9 attacking my livestock. Seems like folks in the city think its a good place to drop off their unwanted dogs. There has been more than one occasion when I wake up go out to feed my animals and am greeted by a dog on my porch growling at me or chasing my animals. After loosing a few thousand dollars worth of livestock to dogs you just start shooting em. All my neighbors do the same.
My neighbors also have consent from me that if any of my livestock gets loose to shoot them on the spot so they don't cause a wreck or damage others property, I've only had 1 bull get out 2 years ago and he was tasty the neighbor even butchered it for us and I gave him half for the trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRealMcCoy

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I've had a few cows wander loose and end up in my yard.

They've never hurt anything cause we leave them alone. They go home, or sit tight until the rancher finds them. At most I had a couple truck tracks in my front yard, because I drove across my yard because they sat down in my driveway.

That ranch deserves a break or two, they wipe out deer on their property year round for me. I try to chase all the damn deer towards that direction.