Launch Member

Member I

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Otis
Member #

Hey everyone! I recently purchased a 1988 Dodge d100 shortbed 4x4. It has a non carb 318, a 727 3 speed, Dana 44 front and a Chrysler 9.25 rear. Currently in the middle of an engine swap here in my driveway in Tucson. putting in a fresh rebuilt 318. thought i'd start posting my build to see if there was anyone else building a Gen 1 dodge for overlanding, also to keep my self accountable and on track with the engine swap! hahah here are my goals for this truck.
Engine swap to fresh 318
Gun metal grey bed liner paint job
Install a holly sniper EFI Kit and remove the Current Potato that runs my engine.
re-gearing to a lower gear ratio
Detroit Locker in rear
swap tires to 35's(currently 33's)
Custom fab bed rack around a soft topper For RTT
Old school KC light bar for top

I work seasonally in Alaska as a Fishing Guide so this vehicle will be a combination of Light daily/hunting/overlanding/camping Rig during my off season (oct-april)
A few questions for the full size classic truck overlanders out there
interior Mods for a single cab you cant live without
Suspension Mods you've done to help these beast behave on the road

This is my first overlanding rig and Post here on this forum! thank you for all your threads that are a daily inspiration!

Attachments

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Awesome rig. I have a huge infatuation with Dodge Trucks.

Just for info. (For parts lookup, etc.)
D is the designation for 2wd. W is the designation for 4x4.
Those years they were Ram 150 for 2wd and PowerRam 150 for 4wd

I have owned a few PowerRams.

Unfortunately I don't have them right now, but I sure do miss them.

I always kept mine stock suspension, just got larger tires. A seat from a 2nd gen fits right in with a much nicer center console. You could probably even get a 3rd gen to fit.

The shortbed it perfect for offroading. It really can turn and gets around pretty well in tight places.

Attachments

AkMinnZonaRam

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Otis
Member #

Thanks for your response! about the D designation this truck is odd that it has D100 written all over from door stickers to badging. its made a few shops scratch their foreheads. I love your trucks! you don't happen to have any photos of a seat swap do you?

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Thanks for your response! about the D designation this truck is odd that it has D100 written all over from door stickers to badging. its made a few shops scratch their foreheads. I love your trucks! you don't happen to have any photos of a seat swap do you?
Interesting. The d100 designation was actually dropped in 81 I believe. Very interesting.

Unfortunately I do not on this phone. The yellow truck I had had a tan seat from a 96 in it.

It worked very well. It kinda put you up a little bit and centered better in the windshield which helped with offroading.

If I can find my pics or a shot from the web I will post.

Reactions: AkMinnZonaRam

Maddog74

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Lemoore, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Mattingly
Member #

Hey everyone! I recently purchased a 1988 Dodge d100 shortbed 4x4. It has a non carb 318, a 727 3 speed, Dana 44 front and a Chrysler 9.25 rear. Currently in the middle of an engine swap here in my driveway in Tucson. putting in a fresh rebuilt 318. thought i'd start posting my build to see if there was anyone else building a Gen 1 dodge for overlanding, also to keep my self accountable and on track with the engine swap! hahah here are my goals for this truck.
Engine swap to fresh 318
Install a holly sniper EFI Kit and remove the Current Potato that runs my engine.
Detroit Locker in rear

I work seasonally in Alaska as a Fishing Guide so this vehicle will be a combination of Light daily/hunting/overlanding/camping Rig during my off season (oct-april)

This is my first overlanding rig and Post here on this forum! thank you for all your threads that are a daily inspiration!
Nice love seeing other earlier dodges, my friend and I swapped a complete ‘92 truck into my 74... 4 in lift 32’s right now thing runs sweet everything fits like it was meant to be it thereADD9D117-3D20-4341-93C4-083F6165E450.jpeg58D8FF50-2D09-428F-8C96-EB0607A2702F.jpeg6C3B0807-F7A9-45D7-97F4-C44B4A73C04F.jpeg

Maddog74

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Lemoore, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Mattingly
Member #

Interesting. The d100 designation was actually dropped in 81 I believe. Very interesting.

Unfortunately I do not on this phone. The yellow truck I had had a tan seat from a 96 in it.

It worked very well. It kinda put you up a little bit and centered better in the windshield which helped with offroading.

If I can find my pics or a shot from the web I will post.
Yup my friends has a 92 seat which sits higher , my 74 seat is more comfortable but you sit lower ... so I used these 2” spacers sit up nice a tall , better view for off-road and kept my comfortable seat! 8A196C97-03D8-49AD-91BD-FC473F098A2D.jpeg3301DF44-29AC-4A5B-9030-B866CF3C6029.jpeg

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

That'll be a great Overlander indeed. Looking forward to watching the build.

-TJ

AkMinnZonaRam

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Otis
Member #

Update old engine is out new engine is in, now to hook everything back up!

Attachments

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Nice! I'm playing that same game w/ my WJ right now, always more work than you think a 1 for 1 engine swap would be.

-TJ

AkMinnZonaRam

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Otis
Member #

Update, motor is in everything is hooked up, distributor is in and timed as good as i can get it without extended running.

well I've hit a few snag along the way

Here's whats going on, Temp gauge is pinned on hot even when the sensor is unplugged. My new Mechanical Oil pressure Gauge is reading 0 PSI. line is clear of obstructions (unhooked the line and cranked over the engine to try and bleed it but nothing came up out of the block air flows freely through the tube)

Here's what I'm thinking. The long block i put into the truck did not have an oil pump shaft included, i didn't notice this until i went to put the distributor in. so i took the old one out of the original block, cleaned it up and put it in the new block through the top it seemed to mesh in perfectly as we turned over the engine by hand. is it possible that the shaft didn't seat into the oil pump all the way? what should I do next?

I'm kind of at my wits end.

Anyone in Tucson available to help?

Attachments

TexasGMG

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Hell
First Name
Fuck
Last Name
Off
Update, motor is in everything is hooked up, distributor is in and timed as good as i can get it without extended running.

well I've hit a few snag along the way

Here's whats going on, Temp gauge is pinned on hot even when the sensor is unplugged. My new Mechanical Oil pressure Gauge is reading 0 PSI. line is clear of obstructions (unhooked the line and cranked over the engine to try and bleed it but nothing came up out of the block air flows freely through the tube)

Here's what I'm thinking. The long block i put into the truck did not have an oil pump shaft included, i didn't notice this until i went to put the distributor in. so i took the old one out of the original block, cleaned it up and put it in the new block through the top it seemed to mesh in perfectly as we turned over the engine by hand. is it possible that the shaft didn't seat into the oil pump all the way? what should I do next?

I'm kind of at my wits end.

Anyone in Tucson available to help?
See if you can turn the shaft by hand. If it spins freely pull the shaft and check the end to ensure it's not worn and just spinning in the pump

I think your temp gauge is grounded wrong.

Last edited:

shortbus4x4

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The temp guage is a wiring/guage issue. Probably has a short to ground in the wire that feeds the guage.
It's been quite a while since I've worked on a Dodge engine with a distributor. But from what I can remember I don't think your distributor would plop down and sit like it should if the oil pump shaft wasn't seated properly. Pull the distributor and make sure the pump shaft is seated properly. With the proper attachment a drill can be used to prime your oil pump. It takes quite a bit of cranking to get oil pressure up too.

kaine ellis

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Monticello, GA, USA
First Name
kaine
Last Name
ellis
Member #

Engine swap to fresh 318
Detroit Locker in rear

Im partial to the 1st gens. Ive owned many w150 and ramchargers. And currently own an 88 ramcharger

Attachments