Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
McQueen
If starting from scratch building a tool kit for your rig would you skip 3/8" drive sockets and just pack 1/4" drive and 1/2" drive for smaller and larger sizes respectively? I think I read about someone suggesting that if you need a larger size you may also need the leverage of the 1/2" drive so carry just 1/4" for 4-14mm and 1/2" for 10-32mm drive sockets. Thoughts? What do you do? thanks

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

I mostly use 3/8, SAE and Metric, but if I have to set torque, I need the 1/2 to fit the wrench. Not much use for 1/4 on my rig, but it does allow for tightening some hose clamps in difficult places.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
3/8 is king. Metric and Sae deep well, whatever regular sockets your truck takes.

1/4 for hardly reachable stupid things like the little bolt that holds injector harnesses to the ECM. Metric and Sae deep wells, and whatever regular sockets you need. Don't forget torx.

For 1/2" get a long handled ratchet and impact sockets. One 6" extension. Then step up and step down adapters so that your 3/8 ratchet can be used with the big sockets, in tight spots.

I only carry enough tools to change my starter, complete brake system, wheels, and alternator. Then a couple pipe wrenches to adjust my hitch. Add in some extra sockets and I'm GTG.

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
I carry 3/8" metric sockets (6-21mm, spark plug) for work on the engine and inside the cab. With this range in sizes I don't need to carry any 1/4" sockets.
I also carry 1/2" metric socks (10-19, 21, 22, 24, 35) for use on wheels and suspension components since most 3/8" ratchets and extensions aren't made to take high torque loads.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I guess I must use 3/8 a lot because I cant find a single 3/8 ratchet in my tool box anymore. I did find one but it is not mine because all my tools were craftsman. The one I found doesn't lock so I think someone traded me. I find most of my needs to be 1/2" drive. I need them for leverage and I can always use a 1/2" to 3/8" reducer for my 3/8" sockets when I need the smaller sizes. You cant have enough variable length extensions (even 12" or more) and a 1/2" breaker bar is a must in my box as well as a 1/2" torque wrench. I usually carry an 18" length of pipe that will slide over my ratchets for more leverage if needed.

I once had this Ford Thunderbird (1985) with a 302 engine. (it went through 5 starters in one year) The only way to get to the starter was from the front of the engine and it took 3-12" long 3/8" extensions to reach the starter bolts.

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I carry 3/8 deep impact and a Dewalt impact gun. both metric and standard, and a metric and standard set of wrenches ( rolls). Aside from that any adapters and specialty tools I may need or sockets in 1/4 I know I need for tight spots. Almost no 1/2 aside from an adapter and a breaker bar.

Reactions: afootorafloatLJ

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Mostly I use my 3/8 drive. Best of both worlds. I havent yet created the tool box of "only that which relates to the vehicle and accessories". So I tend to have a plastic case of 3/8 and 1/4.

The 1/4 gets used very rarely, however. And I have a lot of 3/8 sockets that duplicate my 1/4 sockets. Just have to be gentle, as the 3/8 ratchet will allow more torque than a 1/4 bolt needs.

The plan, though, has been noting what size each fastener is, and keep sockets of only those sizes. This includes lug nuts and shock and suspension nuts, and the need to torque properly, so I believe I will land in the 3/8 and 1/2 camp

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I carry 1/4 and 3/8 sets. The 1/4 set also has a multitude of Torx and Allen tips. My XJ is full of Torx screws.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Once I crack an engine part loose, I often use my 1/4 drive stuff to spin out the bolts and for most of the reassembly.

Todays vehicles only fail in spots where you can barely get tools in.

Peregrine

Rank III

Advocate I

Idaho, USA
First Name
Darby
Last Name
Peregrine
If starting from scratch building a tool kit for your rig would you skip 3/8" drive sockets and just pack 1/4" drive and 1/2" drive for smaller and larger sizes respectively? I think I read about someone suggesting that if you need a larger size you may also need the leverage of the 1/2" drive so carry just 1/4" for 4-14mm and 1/2" for 10-32mm drive sockets. Thoughts? What do you do? thanks
3/8s are my goto. 1/4s mostly when into the dash/electrical. 1/2 are the muscle-up when required. Dedicated 3/4s with breaker bar for wheel lugs and such. For what ever reason GM felt it was best to utilize both metric and SAE nut & bolts on my built my 99 Silverado (Canadian build).

Reactions: old_man and MazeVX

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

3/8" drive mostly in my trail kit. I even have some 3/8 impact swivels (found an okay deal on some older SnapOn sets on eBay). On the trail impact swivels are awesome, you're always in some weird spot where you just need to ugga-dugga things out. Of course, use with some caution, as impacts are also great for breaking bolts off in everything. I wouldn't really bother with a 1/2" drive set for a trail kit. I do bring a 1/2" drive impact and an deep impact set I have that I use for lug nuts (and I keep a torque stick in that set, so it's super quick/easy to zip wheels on/off) but that's about it for 1/2". There's not a lot else that I'd see using 1/2" for, things like motor mount bolts that I hope I'm not touching on the trail! ;) If you have aftermarket suspension and steering with heim/Johnny joints and jam nuts make sure you have a big arse crescent or two (or the correct size wrenches for all the different heims on your rig if you really want to do it right ;) ). That's one I see missed often, and probably one of the most common things to come loose.

-TJ

spazegun2213

Rank V

Advocate I

San Diego
First Name
ross
Last Name
miller
Member #

The answer is... as always, it depends.

What is your rig?

My E-250... I don't carry 1/4" anything, because their isn't much use for them. If I do end up *needing* them, I'll call for a tow, because I'm tearing something down I have no business doing on the trail. I take a few 3/8" stuff for working on some smaller suspension bolts, and other things. I carry a LOT of 1/2" and larger wrenches, because bolts on a 1 ton aren't small. My lug nuts are 21mm (i think they are 21... maybe 19) and there is no way I'm getting enough torque with a 3/8" to break them loose or tighten them up.

Working on cars, take what you need and "what you need" will become evident the more you work on it.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

skip 1/4'..... 3/8 does almost everything...... if you have a van or pickup or Subaru you will only want a few 1/2" drive.
Access to most bolts is too tight to fit 1/2" drive components.

1/2" drive might worl well on major components on an FG or Unimog or,,, but even on those the 3/8" drive will be your go to for everything else.
On my TJ I use a 1/2" breaker bar with impact socket on the lug nuts but even there 3/8" will work.

JimBill

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

San Benito County, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Madison
Member #

I carry a full set of metric short and long sockets when running the Tahoe or WJ in a tool roll (6-22mm) and a number of other specialty sockets. Size starts at 1/4 drive, goes to 3/8, then goes to 1/2 with very little overlap. A set of adapters also lets me convert from any drive size to any socket size. Also a full set of wrenches, 1/2 drive breaker bar, and so on. For the suspension jam nuts, I do have a big extra wide opening Crescent wrench.

Tool roll is about 20 pounds with all the crap in it, but I swapped the electric seat frames for manual ones, saving over 20 pounds as an offset. The joy of being 6'4". Seat as low as possible and as far back as possible and then never changes. For the passenger's convenience??....not my problem.

I use my tool roll as primarily when working on the vehicle. Depending what I have to go pull out of the garage tool box it will either go back or get incorporated into the roll when done, depending on what I ended up needing it for.

I really wish we could get a factory service chart of every fastener type/size/quantity on every vehicle model. Wouldn't that be great in helping us thin the tool kit?

Reactions: afootorafloatLJ

HPM

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maryland, USA
First Name
Henry
Last Name
McQueen
Thank you all for the responses. My own tool kit is a bit of this and that from my workbench. But I offered to put together a tool kit from scratch for a Tacoma that my son is planning and in an effort to keep it light (relatively speaking) and effective this is all good information. We also found a list of the needed wrench / socket sizes for a Taco so he won't have to carry every size range, just what is needed.

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

As I stated before I mostly use the 3/8's, I would advise getting the deep sockets, they can fit over the nut ends when you can't fit a spanner. I keep all my 3/8's in a Plano box, that way they don't get wet from condensation, rain, deep puddles or dirty from dusty conditions. I keep my 1/4's in a bag in the same box.

Attachments