Do you have an American flag on your rig?

• Hi Guest, you may choose a LIGHT or DARK theme that works best for you with the "Style Chooser" button at the bottom left on this page!

Do you have an American flag on your rig?

• Total voters

Cpyonker

Rank III

Advocate II

I agree, coming from the transportation industry I would see a lot of flags flying on all kinds of vehicles. Tattered, torn, ripped, out in the rain and all other kinds of foul weather.. Those flying flags on their vehicles don't have even the slightest idea that they are showing a complete disrespect to the flag. Stickers? cool, flying a flag till it's damaged? Not cool at all.
It’s disrespectful to fly the flag from your vehicle?

Also, on my screen it’s showing my pictures as locked. Is it doing the same for you?

Reactions: OverlandBaz

Craig M

Rank VI
Supporter

Advocate I

Euless, Texas
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

Also, on my screen it’s showing my pictures as locked. Is it doing the same for you?
Flags that are frayed and damaged should not be 'flown', that is all he's saying. Once the ends start to fray it should be replaced and retired, or properly destroyed.

Of course, that's more directed at permanent flags flying in fixed locations.

Reactions: TerraRoamer

Correus

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

Some think it is, some don't - it just depends.

For special occasions and parades - definitely not.

It becomes disrespectful when the flag is left there in bad weather, or you have it mounted in such a way mud, road salts, tar and such can be flung up on it. It is also disrespectful, especially on the big diesel trucks, if the flag is mounted in such a way the exhaust smokes comes into contact with it.

Flags being flown on vehicles - especially trucks and 4x4s - after 9/11 have become such an issue, and has generated so many complaints that many State and local authorities are starting to look at and pass ordinances/laws.

Currently there are no significant ones out there other than those that are blanket/umbrella ones that ban items attached to moving vehicles that can obstruct views and traffic.

The closest thing we have is through the U.S. Code - American Flag, Etiquette, Rules and Guidelines:

• The flag should not be displayed on a float except from a staff, nor draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle.

• When the flag is displayed on a vehicle, the staff should be fixed firmly to the chassis.
As stated though, many are looking at changing the rules and laws to stop it being used this way other than parades and special occasions.

The way most people fly the flag from a vehicle is considered very disrespectful and brakes many rules of etiquette.

Most fly it from the back, this is no different than draping it over the back. Besides, there is a reason the flag is at the front of the parade and not the back - respect.

Craig M

Rank VI
Supporter

Advocate I

Euless, Texas
First Name
Craig
Last Name
M
Member #

I do not have an American flag on my Japanese truck. Here in the greater Cleveland area, where steel and autoworkers still are a local force, sticking an American flag on a Japanese truck is an invitation to vandalism.
That's unfortunate. I mean, I appreciate that they are patriotic and in support of local business and American made products, but a bit misguided if they extend that to damaging others stuff, especially when just displaying the same patriotism. I am willing to bet that any one of those type of people own some other foreign product that they could have found from a US based company.

Now, if the foreign vehicle manufacturer is putting the flag on the vehicle, then I could kind of see their point. Still disagree with the vandalism, of course.

Correus

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Belle Plaine, Kansas, 67013
Member #

The guidelines that I found were that it should be flown on the right side of the vehicle, which it is.
I've seen the same guidelines, those from Veterans groups, the U.S. Flag guides, insurance companies and the U.S. Military.

In all of those guides there is only one type of vehicle that they say it's "okay" to fly the flag from the rear - a motorcycle. In regard to cars they say:

• When the flag is displayed on a car, the staff shall be fixed firmly to the chassis or clamped to the right fender.
The implication is that it is the front of the vehicle, not the back. Many argue this point, yet if it was not the case there would be no reason to mention the motorcycle aspect.

The only other instance they point out is mounting a flag(s) in a truck bed. The flag is mounted in the bed or on the side walls of the bed, it's not mounted on the back bumper.

I know there are a couple of sites out there that say it's okay to have it mounted on the back bumper, in the center or to the right, yet they are going against all the others.

The REASON it isn't supposed to be mounted on the rear of a vehicle is the fact that there is a much higher chance of your vehicle flinging mud, crud, black exhaust smoke, and so up on to it. The lower to the ground, the greater the chance.

I know for a fact there are State legislators who are trying to codify the rules of flag etiquette to prevent this.

Until this happens it's up to the private individual to do as he sees fit.

Reactions: MOAK

blackntan

Rank V

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
Member #

I'm glad to hear you take it off. It really pisses me off when I see people driving with a flag attached regardless of weather &/or road conditions.
Just a point my friend i am not american though love merica but the stars n has been in battles all over the globe in the name of freedom and just cause a little bit of mother natures dirt aint dissin the flag far from it. BNT.