Do I need to buy a roof rack to mount my RTT on my 99’ 4Runner?

• HTML tutorial

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Hello, OB,
Need your help with some ideas and information mounting a RTT to my 99’ 4Runner Limited. My runner does have the factory rack! The RTT is a Gordi Gear Explorer Plus, 140cm. Can I use the factory Rack? Do I need to purchase a aftermarket roof rack to really mount this RTT and use it safely? Ideas on what rack has worked for you? Thanks for your help! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

Did do some research, and a Member on YotaTec, did show how he mounted their RTT, using some Smitybuilt brackets that fit in the factory track of the rack and how to replace the curved cross bars. The information he gave came from TEPUI. It shows how they would install the tent. The factory rack will support 165 lbs. static. The weak link seems to be the plastic ends on the cross bars. I’m sure you could find the information and DIY mounting on the Tepui home website. I will do a build thread when I start working on the rack system soon. Anyone else with some ideas! Vance.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

One more thing to add. Sounds like Tepui, will sell the aluminum uni-struts pieces that go under the tent on the cross bracing. I did not try that yet to confirm! Vance.

Reactions: Nanuka