Do I need chains if I'm going to big bear area.

• HTML tutorial

Pranqster

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Luis Obispo, CA
Member #

with 4x4, you won't NEED them, but its nice to have options...... I just crossed the sierra and saw 3 overturned trucks and numerous stuck vehicles. We made it in a Prius with NO CHAINS! Sometimes its about the driver.....lol
(we did carry chains, but didn't use them)

Last edited:

ArmyofMike

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

fresno, ca
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YFE
I would carry them at least. $1000 fine in CA for not having them IF there is snow on ground or slippery conditions. Even with 4WD and M/S tires, the CHP may ask...and check.

aearles

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

USA
I would carry them at least. $1000 fine in CA for not having them IF there is snow on ground or slippery conditions. Even with 4WD and M/S tires, the CHP may ask...and check.
Is that true? I'm currently visiting (but have no intentions of encountering snow), and I thought the signs say "Chains OR 4x4 with M/S Tires" ...or something to that effect. No?

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

If you are not worried about the money get the chains, @ArmyofMike is correct you must carrier chains on most mountain roads in California in the winter regardles of the vehicle.

There are four stages Caltrans/CHP use in snow conditions regarding who is allowed to drive.

Stage 1 - Winter conditions no restrictions
Stage 2 - 2wd with chains - 4wd with off road tires
Stage 3 - 2wd cannot travel - 4wd with chains and off road tires, or studded snow tires.
Stage 4 - closed to all traffic

It does not even require a stage one alert for all vehicles to be required to carry chains.

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

I wish I had pictures, but it was about 25 years ago so I don't. I was chaining up on Hwy 80 near Truckee on the way hone from a ski trip at Squaw and I helped the driver of the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile chain up.

wmob001.jpg

Reactions: dagen