Rank I

Contributor III

Vista, CA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Norris
Member #

I'm building a lightweight trailer to pull behind my little Samurai. I want to comply with DMV standards during the design and build but I'm having a heck of a time getting answers from the CA DMV. Starting to get the feeling that there are no published standards. The last thing I want is to show up with my trailer and have them tell me that it's not good enough.

Reactions: Outlandre

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Covid changed a few things. The DMV's near me stopped doing inspections because of it. I hope they start back up soon. As for regulations, most are based on weight.
Here is one of the links. CA DMV
You need to research "SPCNS" I found an area on trailers before but don't have time right now to find the specific info.

I may be off on the numbers but, 1500# it needs brakes, 2000# they want a weight slip and 2500# it needs the switch that applies the trailer brake if it comes off the hitch.
The last one I did a few years ago, I made an appointment, the lady came out, made sure the lights worked, saw it had brakes, asked how much it cost (told her 300) and gave me a VIN tag.
What I read recently said they wanted receipts for the build to value it and if it looked heavy, a weight slip.

Reactions: M Rose

Mraudiophyl

Rank II

Contributor III

1245 Bancroft Way, Berkeley, California 94702, United States
First Name
Sal
Last Name
Peña
Member #

Just keep in mind the max towing capacity for a bone stock Samurai is 1000lbs. Also the stock brakes aren't all that adequate( upgrading soon.). What I did for my setup was to buy an m416 military trailer it weighs 550lbs dry. With tent and fully loaded it weights 775lbs+/-,( and it's still a bit sketchy down hill.) I am about to change to a timbren axel-less suspension to drop weight and get electric brakes, and get better clearance. Can't wait to see what you build.

Attachments

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I'm building a lightweight trailer to pull behind my little Samurai.
First thing, what is yer Samuri rated to tow? I'm betting no more than 1000#. Which means you won't need brakes and good thing cuz brakes will eat up 10% of yer payload.

The actual form to register a home bilt trailer is likely incredibly generic and you'll have to think like a 14 year old young offender to fill it out successfully.

Best bet, don't tow it in behind the Samuri, tow it to the DMV with something rated to tow much more.
No need to give them something new to question. Use a box stock 4 Runner or ???

Last edited:

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I recently researched for WA, but as the biggies are federal DOT regulations they will also apply in CA. The single biggest thing is going to be weight. Anything over 1500lbs or 1/3 of the towing vehicles weight requires brakes, this is run off of the gross weight of the trailer. Also anything with brakes must have a breakaway device, so if the trailer comes off it applies the brakes. Also naturally you cannot exceed the printed towing capacity of the towing vehicle. One little detail that gets a lot of people is safety chains, they cannot be welded to the trailer frame and they cannot share any fasteners with the coupling device. The other big things are lights, anything over 80" wide requires ICC lights (the 3 red lights on the rear) and anything over 20feet long requires a set of amber markers on the front half of the trailer. Then I believe it is anything over 10' high requires upper corner marker lights.
Keeping that stuff in mind will at least meet the federal requirements and if CA has a more strict regulation it shouldn't be a major modification.
Also I will echo @Billiebob borrow a friend's pickup to tow the trailer in for inspection.