DK_XV - 2017 Chevy Colorado Duramax Build - Daily Driver/Long Distance Roamer

• HTML tutorial

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

I picked up my Colorado in July of this year. I traded in my former camping rig (F350 Dually Diesel with a 10’5 Lance Truck camper) as well as my then daily driver, an off-road modified Subaru Crosstrek for a platform that would make a great daily driving truck for my 120 mi commute as well as planned long distance travels.

I selected the Colorado because I wanted a vehicle that would get solid fuel economy (low to mid 20’s), be a comfortable and reliable commuter Monday – Friday, and be capable enough for long road trips where the road may or may not be.

Current mods are listed at my buildprint page here – http://buildprint.io/mb/DK_XV

my Instagram for current random photos (Cars, trucks, motorcycles, adventures and dogs) – https://www.instagram.com/dk_xv/

This will serve as an open journal of my trips and truck build.

Current trip plans
NW Overland Rally 2018

2018-02-10 16.22.40.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Pickens

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

A little catching up from July…

About a month after I brought it home, we headed out from Central Washington to near the Grand Tetons to see the Aug 21 Total Eclipse. It was an epic 2000 mile trip, and my first multi-state road trip! While we did do some camping, we also cheated and stayed at many hotels.

While I wanted to go all rugged and out there, this was my first long distance trip, and my camping kit was a bit of a hodgepodge as I mostly camped in an RV. So I played it pretty easy and took note of the things I needed, what worked, what didn’t work for both my truck and my gear. That was pretty much my summer, and didn’t do many outings after that. I basically saved up the “fun” budget for the one big trip of 2017.

“Woolly Mammoth Solar Trek”

2017-08-06 20.00.52.jpg

2017-08-15 20.04.35-2 - Copy.jpg

2017-08-18 18.01.21 - Copy.jpg

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

New gear!

Camp Chef outdoor kitchen table.

One of my biggest curses of camping is the disorganization of things. So picked up a neat organiser and table combo. It seems surprisingly well made and holds a ton of stuff.

Also, bonus pics from a snow drive today!

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

My camping gear has been coming in! I've had a steady stream delivery trucks coming the last few weeks. Some of this I've had for years, but a bunch is new, or replacements of things I've had but upgraded.
I've been putting together this list over the past year, trying to keep it somewhat sane, but also getting some really long lasting and durable items that should make camp a home away from home. For me camping isn't about stripping down to the bare essentials, but creating a nice environment to enjoy the outdoors, slow down, and find a little peace.

I plan on taking a day in the next few weeks to do a video of my gear and planned setup. But below is the gear list. I'll go through and update the sections with more information and such, but right now just getting the list together.

Wave 1 - Camping essentials
Tent

Kodiak Canvas 6 Person Tent 6010 10x10 ft Deluxe
Kodiak Canvas 0510 Ground Tarp Ground Cover

Sleeping
Teton Sports Outfitter XXL CAMP COT
Teton Sports Fahrenheit XXL +20°F Sleeping Bag Grey Left Zip 1058L

Storage
Waterproof Dry Bag Roll Top Dry Sack - 30L x3, 10L x2
Keeper Waterproof cargo bag for rooftop carrier

Kitchen
JetBoil camp stove
Coleman PerfectFlow InstaStart 2-Burner Stove
Camp Chef Silverado 2 burner stove
GSI Outdoors - Bugaboo Camper, Nesting Cook Set
Camp Chef Sherpa Outdoor Camping and Tailgating Aluminum Table Top & Organizer

Misc
CORE 1000 Lumen Rechargeable Camping LED Lantern USB Port
Dog Bed XXL Extra Large Washable Soft Cushion
Dometic 972 Portable Toilet 2.6 Gallon Grey
Stanley portable power pack/jump starter

Wave two of camp gear will be things like on-board water, hot water on-demand, AUX solar and battery etc. But that will be saved for another year while I refine what I have and learn what I really need. Those will also be custom installs so much more money and time than hitting an Amazon order link to accomplish.

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

Its been a busy last few weeks. Just a quick update as its been a bit. Still no excursions yet, but I have been packing, planning and outfitting as the snow has been receding and warmer weather arrives.

I've gotten a 2" front and rear lift installed.
Flag mount installed for runs at the dunes
Unpacked and tried out my new tent, A Kodiak Canvas 6010 Deluxe 10x10 tent. - First impressions, I am blown away by this thing. Its all that I hoped for and more.
Cut up some old carpet (Was the carpet from my last pickup) to line the bed, and can be taken out used as mats at the campsite
Also, not pictured, I got a few "ocean bags" waterproof carry bags to sort and pack my gear.

I'm waiting for a warmer day to bring out that kit and spray some silicone on them all and test pack the truck, so will take more gear and pack photos later.

And thanks for the interest and follows peeps! Its a fun, and upcoming platform to build off.

2018-03-10 15.12.31.jpg 2018-03-14 09.38.06.jpg 2018-03-17 15.12.53.jpg 2018-03-17 15.14.53.jpg Capture.PNG

RjSully2

Rank 0

Contributor I

US
Its been a busy last few weeks. Just a quick update as its been a bit. Still no excursions yet, but I have been packing, planning and outfitting as the snow has been receding and warmer weather arrives.

I've gotten a 2" front and rear lift installed.
Flag mount installed for runs at the dunes
Unpacked and tried out my new tent, A Kodiak Canvas 6010 Deluxe 10x10 tent. - First impressions, I am blown away by this thing. Its all that I hoped for and more.
Cut up some old carpet (Was the carpet from my last pickup) to line the bed, and can be taken out used as mats at the campsite
Also, not pictured, I got a few "ocean bags" waterproof carry bags to sort and pack my gear.

I'm waiting for a warmer day to bring out that kit and spray some silicone on them all and test pack the truck, so will take more gear and pack photos later.

And thanks for the interest and follows peeps! Its a fun, and upcoming platform to build off.

View attachment 51386 View attachment 51387 View attachment 51388 View attachment 51389 View attachment 51390
Oh hi it's you, just noticed the flag picture. You post one both forums huh.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

Oh hi it's you, just noticed the flag picture. You post one both forums huh.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Coloradofans and here!

But most of my build and stuff I keep on here as it's more inclusive than just Colorado things. And I think my build will evolve more than bolt ons, and into fabricated solutions for overlanding needs.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: murps

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

Just waiting on a more few lights to arrive. It's a bit overkill, but pretty pleased with it. Right now it's powering some pretty basic things, but it was important to me to have a better solution for adding accessiores instead of a hodgepodge of random buttons. It's also a premium truck, so if I can start it from my cell phone, I might as well spend a bit more to have the same functionality in my accessories. And while theres 300+ feet of wire running up and down the the truck, you would be hard pressed to notice any of it.

It was all done with 12ga wire, soldered and heat shrink joints, and about 100 3M heat shrink 1/4" crimp spade terminals for connections. It's made to be pretty "modular", but not at the expense of durability.

There's basically a couple leads at each corner of the vehicle to plug an accessory into. All are color coded and bundles jacketed. Di-electric greased connectors and then dropped into accessible but out of the way areas of the truck.

Switch-pros 9100 controlling the following accessories:

-OEM fogs (triggered by OEM switch)

-Front Light bar

-Front accent puddle light (triggered by OEM cargo light switch)

-Rear bumper and side cargo basket flood lights (dimmable)

-Bed rail and toolbox lights (triggered by OEM cargo switch)

-12v outlet in bed

@DK_XV | PNW | '17 Colorado Diesel

Reactions: Terry Pickens