Launch Member

Advocate III

vancouver, b.c., canada
First Name
jeff
Last Name
ross
Member #

give me a hard time if this DIY has been posted in the past :)

i'm trying to figure out how to store my own DIY awning as i want it to be attached to the roof rack (gobi) i have so its protected from the elements while moving. i have attached a "bad" drawing of how i want it to look when in use, but scratching my head as to how i'm gonna store it.FullSizeRender.jpg
any help would be appreciated

cheers, jeff

Reactions: 1largemouth

20DYNAMITE07

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Is the awning going to be constantly connected to the rack, like a manufactured awning would be, or are you just planning on attaching it when in use?

If simply attaching it when needed, you could use a ski bag and strap it to the side of your basket/rack for transportation. You can get a nice ski bag for about $40 on up on Amazon.

jeffs blackjeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

vancouver, b.c., canada
First Name
jeff
Last Name
ross
Member #

Is the awning going to be constantly connected to the rack, like a manufactured awning would be, or are you just planning on attaching it when in use?

If simply attaching it when needed, you could use a ski bag and strap it to the side of your basket/rack for transportation. You can get a nice ski bag for about $40 on up on Amazon.
thats an idea *thumbs up*

...one jeeper here told me (lookin at the drawing) that this would be like a tent and most could be folded and put away in the jeep.

i'm beginning to think my brain farts are happening more frequent as this seems to be a more logical idea :neutral:

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

What are you planning to use for the tension poles? It might be easier to use telescoping poles that go straight to the ground. Hooking them to the slider cuts off the side of the truck and you'd only have access from the front of the awning.

I have a DIY version that uses a waxed cotton tarp. It's tricky to get it taught without something to support the edge of the tarp. Depending on the weight of your material, a fiberglass pole inside an edge fold makes it easier to roll up. Look at a video of an OzTent and check out how their awning rolls up. They use a couple velcro loops to hold it in place. Or better yet, use a rigid pole between the tension poles and you can hang things like a lantern, paper towels, or wet clothes.

Reactions: jeffs blackjeep

jeffs blackjeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

vancouver, b.c., canada
First Name
jeff
Last Name
ross
Member #

What are you planning to use for the tension poles? It might be easier to use telescoping poles that go straight to the ground. Hooking them to the slider cuts off the side of the truck and you'd only have access from the front of the awning.

I have a DIY version that uses a waxed cotton tarp. It's tricky to get it taught without something to support the edge of the tarp. Depending on the weight of your material, a fiberglass pole inside an edge fold makes it easier to roll up. Look at a video of an OzTent and check out how their awning rolls up. They use a couple velcro loops to hold it in place. Or better yet, use a rigid pole between the tension poles and you can hang things like a lantern, paper towels, or wet clothes.
the tension poles (or flexible metal rods) would be to extend it out and the cord to use like a tent for tension. i see that cabela's sells adjustable height tent poles for a few bucks...looks to be the right choice.canvas.png