Investor

Explorer I

New Albany, IN
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Price
Member #

Anyone who has ever met me knows I love to spend money on toys. The thing is that I'm kinda cheap at the same time. I want to get the most bang for the buck. I'm also very much a form-follows-function kinda person. Throw into that mix that I prefer to build thinks myself and the fact that I love to take existing materials I have laying around and re purposing them and you'll begin to understand my builds. So this trailer build started life as a dump trailer that was given to me. I've had it for a good ten years of so before I began any modifications. It has hauled a lot of mulch and gravel over the year. We have even used it to carry our kayaks from time to time. I restore and build custom motorcycles and so this little Sno Bear trailer was called into service for that endeavor too. As I began to get into overlanding I found that I didn't just want to drive and camp. I have been camping out of (and in ) the FJ for years but it just didn't let me take all the toys. So I began to look around the garage for what I had laying around that I could use to build up the trailer from a suburban mulch hauler to an adventure brawler. I had already installed motorcycle wheel chokes in the bed of the little Sno Bear. I found a old ladder rack that I had bought for the Taco'. My wife didn't like them for a kayak rack so I had them just laying around. I had always wanted a roof top tent too. So one day as I was sniffing around Craig's list looking for used overlanding gear I came across a used Tuff Stuff Ranger tent. The deal was too good to pass up so I pulled the trigger. I started to put it all together one night like Johnny Cash and ended up with what you see now. I added a set of kayak carriers to the side to carry the boats and the next thing you know I'm the proud owner of an adventure trailer. I still want to put on some larger leaf springs and wheels and tires to match my FJ. I'm also working on a shower made out of some 6th barrels and a CO2 tank as well as a composting toilet. Stay tuned for updates on this little DIY monster.

$0 Trailer
$30 Wheel Choke
$40 Kayak Carriers
$800 RTT
$870 Total

Attachments

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Your trailer is looking great. I like the design. Mine is a "custom" model as well. (Aka homemade) There are things I would change but mine was built by a friend back in the early 90's and I got it for free after it sat on his dad's property for many years. "Beggars can't be choosers" applies here. I'm very happy with it and one of these days I'll get around to doing a build video or thread. In the meantime here's a picture of what I've got so far. I've done a ton of work on it and it is a project that never really ends. Keep up the good work.
20190416_211700.jpg

Poseidon

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Wetumpka , Alabama
First Name
Raymond
Last Name
Camp
Member #

Custom made Jeep off-road camping trailer. It started out as a sea doo trailer frame. The tongue was cut down for a shorter look. The original c channel axle was cut and extended 7 inches to fit the couragia 285/75/16 mud tires. It has 2 tires and three cragar wheels. The fenders came off a Vietnam m416 trailer. The actual box on the trailer is vacuum sealed and waterproof. It also comes with a 5 gallon gas can mounted to it. Has a roof rack welded to the top. Has a hitch mounted to the rear but it’s not weight tested. I used it for a carry haul and a flag pole. Comes with tow rope wrapped around the tongue. Still trying to make improvements

5F740E38-02F6-4FEF-AD19-ED87213B357B.jpgIMG_8956.JPG

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Anyone who has ever met me knows I love to spend money on toys. The thing is that I'm kinda cheap at the same time. I want to get the most bang for the buck. I'm also very much a form-follows-function kinda person. Throw into that mix that I prefer to build thinks myself and the fact that I love to take existing materials I have laying around and re purposing them and you'll begin to understand my builds. So this trailer build started life as a dump trailer that was given to me. I've had it for a good ten years of so before I began any modifications. It has hauled a lot of mulch and gravel over the year. We have even used it to carry our kayaks from time to time. I restore and build custom motorcycles and so this little Sno Bear trailer was called into service for that endeavor too. As I began to get into overlanding I found that I didn't just want to drive and camp. I have been camping out of (and in ) the FJ for years but it just didn't let me take all the toys. So I began to look around the garage for what I had laying around that I could use to build up the trailer from a suburban mulch hauler to an adventure brawler. I had already installed motorcycle wheel chokes in the bed of the little Sno Bear. I found a old ladder rack that I had bought for the Taco'. My wife didn't like them for a kayak rack so I had them just laying around. I had always wanted a roof top tent too. So one day as I was sniffing around Craig's list looking for used overlanding gear I came across a used Tuff Stuff Ranger tent. The deal was too good to pass up so I pulled the trigger. I started to put it all together one night like Johnny Cash and ended up with what you see now. I added a set of kayak carriers to the side to carry the boats and the next thing you know I'm the proud owner of an adventure trailer. I still want to put on some larger leaf springs and wheels and tires to match my FJ. I'm also working on a shower made out of some 6th barrels and a CO2 tank as well as a composting toilet. Stay tuned for updates on this little DIY monster.

$0 Trailer
$30 Wheel Choke
$40 Kayak Carriers
$800 RTT
$870 Total
Absolutely a great foundation for a lightweight build.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Best choice, pick a light commercial trailer, make it work.

Bumping up to FJ size tires, I'd also bump up the axle, not just the springs.
Everything about that trailer is engineered, balanced to do what it does.
Going from 20# rims and tires to 60# rims and tires is a huuge change.
Keep the balance.

Reactions: Poseidon