Enthusiast II

Kalispell, MT, Kalispell, MT, USA
First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Community,

When I go to Hawaii one of my favorite things to do is snorkeling but I have yet to find a comfortable mask. Usually I get pinching/pressure on the bridge of my nose. Any tips or recommendations, I am looking for a sub $100 mask. Thank you for your help.

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

While I don’t claim to know a thing about snorkeling, I know this much - there seems to be a lot of fatalities relating to the full face snorkel masks, particularly in Hawaii. I own a company that does risk and response for travelers all over the world and we track incidents, travel warnings, etc. and I’ve seen this pop up multiple times this year. To quote, “Hawaii is grappling with an alarming increase in snorkel-related deaths. Ten people have died since January. On average, 17 people die each year in Hawaii while snorkeling. A full-face snorkel mask is at the center of one theory about the rise in deadly incidents”. Just something to consider. Be safe and have a great trip!

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Best mask out there:

Don't buy into the hyped up consumer nonsense $200 masks. I have a wide bridge to my nose and it's fine. If I forget to purge, sometimes the glass hits me, but you won't have that problem on the surface lol.

Be sure to use Johnson and johnson baby shampoo on the lens, and don't rinse too much of it off. One good dunk 1 min before jumping in, don't fret if it's still a bit soapy.

Full face masks aren't flowing enough air out. Air with too much co2 is getting trapped in the masks, and people pass out. You have to breath super hard and deep with those. Avoid them at all cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and Specter

Booker

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Valrico FL
Member #

Sounds like you might be experiencing mask squeeze. The water pressure as you dive is compressing the air space inside your mask thus pushing the mask farther onto your face. You can equalize the mask by breathing slightly through your nose.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yep. One purge fixes it. Usually I'm just too distracted to notice, until my pics show it.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
This is something you should be a pro at, for snorkeling as well.

Water in your mask?
Put your hand gently on the top of the mask, holding it onto your face.
Exhale out your nose.

Air goes, up. Water goes out the bottom. Leaky mask is no problem. Usually I do this every few minutes hands free just to keep water out of my sinuses.

I still use an Oceanic Dry snorkel for pure snorkling. Much easier for me freediving with it.

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Interesting
While I don’t claim to know a thing about snorkeling, I know this much - there seems to be a lot of fatalities relating to the full face snorkel masks, particularly in Hawaii. I own a company that does risk and response for travelers all over the world and we track incidents, travel warnings, etc. and I’ve seen this pop up multiple times this year. To quote, “Hawaii is grappling with an alarming increase in snorkel-related deaths. Ten people have died since January. On average, 17 people die each year in Hawaii while snorkeling. A full-face snorkel mask is at the center of one theory about the rise in deadly incidents”. Just something to consider. Be safe and have a great trip!
Interesting information on full face masks. I want the traditional face mask.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I always go with black to reduce glare and my own reflection. I even use the mostly frowned upon tinted lens. [ It makes you look scary underwater and freaks out the snowflakes.]

There are some decent-ish ones. But it didn't take long for the chinese to figure out a new way to kill us with thier copies.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

When checking a mask for fit ..... without putting the strap around the back of your head, put the mask up to your face a suck in thru your nose. If the mask stays on your face your good to go, if it falls off that mask is not for you. Divers Direct has great prices for all your gear.

Salty4Life

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Loxahatchee, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Larsen
Member #

I grew up working in my dads dive shop. When it comes to masks, the fit is everything. Go to a dive shop closest to you and try them on. With out using the strap, you should be able to lay the mask on your face, inhale through the nose, and form a perfect seal. Facial hair complicates things

CCHeath

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Clinton
Last Name
Heath
Member #

Thank you for all of the replies I didn't realize the subject had so many opinions. It sounds like to find the best fit is to put the mask on ones face, inhale through the nose, and make sure it seals.

Secondly as a Respiratory Therapist I find the deaths caused by full-faced masks interesting. The one way to see if divers were dying of hypoxic respiratory failure (decrease in 02) vs. hypercapnic respiratory failure (increased CO2) would be to review the arterial blood gas.

Thanks for the advice

CCTX50

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corpus Christi TEXAS
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Strasheim
Member #

I recommend a single lens mask. The masks with double lens will sometimes cause pain on the bridge of the nose due to the center frame between the two lenses. Try a single lens. Also a simple exhale through the nose will relieve some mask squeeze aka mask pushing on you face from water pressure. But go to a reputable dive shop and try on masks using only the mask at first. Do not use the mask strap at first. Place mask on face and inhale slightly through your nose and there should be no leaks and the mask should stay on your face.