Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I’m in N.C. We are about 3.5 hours to the southern N.C. beaches and about 4.5 hours to the Outer Banks. 2 hours to the mountains and Asheville area. 3 hours and we are in the Great Smokies. 3-4 hours and you can be in the Georgia Mountains. I can’t wait to get out West though!
Thank you, that kind of distance/time I need to figure out were and how far I can make events here in Europe. Our distance to France is around 400 km and about 5 to 6 hours drive. Spain is 1500km and around 16 hours drive.
Poland/Tchech republic and such countries are about 1000km. So, for a real kind of laning, you have to go pretty far.
Except for France and the Netherlands there is hardly any possibility to drive trails. And both are Always a mixture between trails and tarmac.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Thank you, that kind of distance/time I need to figure out were and how far I can make events here in Europe. Our distance to France is around 400 km and about 5 to 6 hours drive. Spain is 1500km and around 16 hours drive.
Poland/Tchech republic and such countries are about 1000km. So, for a real kind of laning, you have to go pretty far.
Except for France and the Netherlands there is hardly any possibility to drive trails. And both are Always a mixture between trails and tarmac.
Dang, our brothers and sisters in the old world have it rough :(

Reactions: MazeVX

EuMen77

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Eugenio
Last Name
Mendoza
Member #

Waiting on my first Wrangler to arrive, cant wait to see what florida has to offer (not mountains of course) from Miami to Ocala National Forest is like 5 hours

Morehouse Expedition

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Utah, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Morehouse
Member #

Service Branch
I.S. Navy
I live in the best area in the world for this last Monday at noon we left the house and literally within five minutes I was without cell reception and within 15 minutes I was on a new to me trail and I could actually feel my attitude change to a softer less intense relaxed mood for the next four hours we trekked through the brilliant displays of color fall offers us here in Utah.

Attachments

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I live in the best area in the world for this last Monday at noon we left the house and literally within five minutes I was without cell reception and within 15 minutes I was on a new to me trail and I could actually feel my attitude change to a softer less intense relaxed mood for the next four hours we trekked through the brilliant displays of color fall offers us here in Utah.
You are blessed with this environment!
I'm definitely jealous!

joshjunior

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Memphis
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Smith
Member #

i'm in the memphis area...unless we hit a local lake area we've gotta drive 3+ hours for some real trails etc.. its mostly offroad parks other than that

oldmopars

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Selah Wa
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Solomon
Member #

I visited the UK 2 years ago. I was working in Manchester. When the weekend came I drove up to John O Grotes in Scotland. This is the most Northern point you can drive to.
When I returned I told the guys that I was working with where all I had gone and the towns I had visited. They were all shocked and most of them told me they had never left England. They said it was too far.
I did all this in a weekend, but for them it was unthinkable. My buddy and I just a few months ago drove from Yakima Wa. out through Idaho, Oregon, Wyoming, Montana. We went to Yellowstone, Glaicier NP and Jackson Hole. We did it all on our motorcycles. My friends in the UK would think this is unthinkable.
As for distance to the trail, I live at the end of the trail, so 0 miles.

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

I live down in the tip of the "Boot" in Louisiana....most of my trips are 9-12 hours of driving to get anywhere good....I go to east Tennessee and Colorado a good bit and recently went to Phoenix and that was 22hrs straight driving.
Im out of BR, yep also noticed most things are minimal 6 hours away.

When we lived in Massachusetts, just a few hours away north or west, though trail kind of exploration required a little investigation. And nothing like out west.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

we recently 'discovered' arkansas and are really impressed by how many and how nice the state parks are. we had great campsites ON the water for $13 a night with a bathhouse included. we picked up a bunch of ticks walking the trails, but now we know to spray for them, other than that, i think arkansas is going to be our main place to go for the next few years at least. still about 6-7 hours minimum to get to the first state park, (white oak) but then its all real close between places after that
i grew up in texas and as big and open as the state is, there really isn't anywhere to go. in texas everything is private and they can shoot you for being on the property and in louisiana everything is private and being a very blue state, people will call the police on you for trespassing and then tie you up in court wanting to be reimbursed for "damages" if you left a tire track or left tire impressions in the grass. its just not worth it, so luckily there is a state or two close by that has places for people to enjoy nature
Just so you know in the national forrests both ouachita and ozarks in oklahoma and arkansas you dont have to pay for dispersed camping and you can camp anywhere within 100 ft of forrest rds.

Reactions: Downs and grubworm

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

we recently 'discovered' arkansas and are really impressed by how many and how nice the state parks are. we had great campsites ON the water for $13 a night with a bathhouse included. we picked up a bunch of ticks walking the trails, but now we know to spray for them, other than that, i think arkansas is going to be our main place to go for the next few years at least. still about 6-7 hours minimum to get to the first state park, (white oak) but then its all real close between places after that
i grew up in texas and as big and open as the state is, there really isn't anywhere to go. in texas everything is private and they can shoot you for being on the property and in louisiana everything is private and being a very blue state, people will call the police on you for trespassing and then tie you up in court wanting to be reimbursed for "damages" if you left a tire track or left tire impressions in the grass. its just not worth it, so luckily there is a state or two close by that has places for people to enjoy nature
Headed into Arkansas for the first time next week. Plan on making a lot of long weekends exploring the area. Havn't been to Texas yet either, was looking to make a few trips maybe next year but that makes me hesitant now.

Reactions: grubworm

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Headed into Arkansas for the first time next week. Plan on making a lot of long weekends exploring the area. Havn't been to Texas yet either, was looking to make a few trips maybe next year but that makes me hesitant now.
arkansas will keep you busy for a while. the wife and i bought kayaks just for going up there...our next trip is in nov. and we are going up to the buffalo river. we went a few months ago and camped out on the mulberry river and really liked the area up there. let me know how your trip goes and we can compare notes

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
I live in Idaho so...

There are some 2-tracks a few minutes away from my house that lead into some nice country.
I'm lucky enough to be able to do the same thing, I live 40 miles south of the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Two miles from my house I can be on a 2-track and with in 12 miles (25 minutes) I can be camping and enjoying life in peace and quiet.

I've been 2 miles from the start of a trail to 3 days and thousands of miles from the beginning of a trail. It all depends on whet and where I want to go.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
In 2 to 3 hours I can be in good parts of Arkansas. I can drive down the road and take gravel roads all over the place in my part of Texas but it's no different than driving down a regular paved road other than the gravel part. We do have a lot of dirt roads that turn into tire sucking clay when it rains. I stay away from those in all but dry weather. Arkansas is currently my favorite place to go followed by New Mexico (carson Ntl Forrest) then Big Bend area. I do miss living out west where there was seemingly endless areas to explore.

And most National Forrests allow free dispersed camping as long as it not a designated pay campground or signed as a no camping area. You can also stay for a long time. Typically the limit is 14 days then you have to move even if it's just down the road, then you can stay for 14 more days. Reitrement goals right? :D

Reactions: 64Trvlr