Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello you all,

A question which is interesting for us European guys and girls. At least your answers to it.
If you go out for a weekend of Overlanding. And you can leave on friday around three/1500 hours.
What is your average distance you do before you hit camp, or are at the start of the first trail.

We here in Europe have some difficulties of getting people together for a weekend Overlanding which isnt around the corner of the house.

So, what are your distances and time to go out there?

Thanks for all the answers.

Reactions: MazeVX

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I’ve driven up to 6 to 7 hours on Fridays after work to get to a trail for a weekend. I would prefer not to go that far, but sometimes the desert calls and I need to answer. Lately I’ve taken an extra day to those long distance weekends though.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ
For us, it takes a good 2 hours without traffic to get to trails worthy of exploring. There are many options at that distance which keeps thing interesting.

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

keeflester

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Carradale, Scotland
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Lester
Member #

Over the years I’ve been stressed out by trying to cover hundreds of miles just to get to the start of my adventure. These days (having retired) I let the journey become part of the adventure and look for wild spots all along my main route. This way, I can take three days to drive 500 miles, have not gotten over-tired at the wheel, have sampled some solitude en route, and still have the energy to enjoy myself when I get there.4B17DD1E-739C-4E44-A292-A27A2EF9DA7B.jpeg

BTodd

Rank II
Founder 500
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

South Weber, UT
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Todd
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
TBD
Most great spots are within 30 min. However, if the itch for adventure is strong enough and the company is good, there is no distance too far. The trick is making the travel to the trail part of the adventure.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I would not drive longer than 5 hours, but there is only very little stuff around here in this range... So weekend trips with real trails are very rare over here.

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

At least three hours to get to the closest trail of any kind; even a crappy drive down a gravel road to a reclaimed strip mine. To get to the cool spots you frequently see here and on Instagram, it takes 3-4 days of Interstate driving...

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

I have noticed that you folks in the USA are way more into long distances as we are here in Europe.
Most people are already having problems with about 200km of driving before they can do a trip.
And so it is very hard to get a group together for a weekend.
Mostly the same people are showing up.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I live on the coast in California and it takes me at least 2.5-3 hrs to make it to a decent trail. I try to leave really early or late to bypass all the commuters because that may add 2-3 extra hours.
Im local to you and I am with you on that travel times

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
This thread definitely underscores how blessed I am to live so close to such amazing wilderness.
Those of us who live in the Northwest US and South West CA really are spoiled.

One of the reasons I love Spokane so much is in 45min. I can experience such a great diversity. We are located in a highland desert, have amazing large and small lakes, amazing rivers and streams, alpine environments, and some of the most interesting geology in the world as the whole of eastern WA was shaped by glacial flooding and volcanic activity. Then if I extend my travel time to 2 hours theres the Columbia basin, 3 hours theres the Cascade Mountains, 7 hours theres a rain forest and the Pacific coast. And that is all just in Washington state.

North Idaho has some amazing places that include trails and camping that are 30min. away. Then theres western Montana which is simply put breathtaking and amazing and I can be there in 2-3 hours. And of course north of the border has some of the most amazing mountains anywhere, the Canadian Rockies truly are beyond words and are about 3-4 hours away.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

We guys envy you much.
Why? Because Overlanding in Europe is very difficult. In for example Germany it is prohibited, same more or less in Belgium. In the Netherlands, one of the smaller countries in Europe, you can do a bit. Just older farm roads, forest tracks and forgotten tracks which are on maps, but are very difficult to find.
France, Spain, Italy, Poland, Rumania, chech Republic and Slowakia are more or less the places to be.
But if you try to make get a party together for such long trips, you hardly find people who are willing to drive around 1000km to and 1000km back.
So for me this thread is more to have myself confinced that you can drive longer if you want to. I do, but have much resistance in Europe.

John Hapla Philip

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Oshawa
First Name
John
Last Name
Philip
Member #

For me it depends on if I just want a dirt road through some woods or if I am going on a mud and rock trail. There are a lot of dirt roads in woods within 20 or 30 minutes but most of the actual trails start at about the 2 hour mark. If I am looki g for camping with or without trails it is generally a 3 hour drive to camp. Now, if I'm looking to travel and explore it's closer to 5 hours driving mostly because I'm closer to big cities and we try exploring further every year.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
From my home in Northern Colorado, there are tons of places to go within an hour. The problem is that I have done all of them dozens of times over the last 50 years so they are pretty mundane to me now. People still travel days to see them. Personally I find I end up going farther afield over time. Now most things I find willing to spend the effort on are 4-12 hours travel. It is not unusual to knock off 400 miles each way.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

For me it depends on if I just want a dirt road through some woods or if I am going on a mud and rock trail. There are a lot of dirt roads in woods within 20 or 30 minutes but most of the actual trails start at about the 2 hour mark. If I am looki g for camping with or without trails it is generally a 3 hour drive to camp. Now, if I'm looking to travel and explore it's closer to 5 hours driving mostly because I'm closer to big cities and we try exploring further every year.
I would be perfectly happy if it was allowed to drive on our forest roads through the woods, my home area is really nice and you would have a new scenic look every time you leave the forest but it is forbidden...