Launch Member

Influencer II

Lathrop, California
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Bircher
Member #

I'm taking the family to bodie in the summer and I want to camp out there on the western side of hwy395. I've seen a few spots that peak my interest around Virginia lakes, green creek, dunderberg mill, or copper mountain. Has anyone one been out there before that can recommend a good spot with shade? Or any other recommendations in that area?

Sent from my N9560 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: stoney126

daPitbull

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Oakland, CA
Member #

Try up by Buckeye hot springs. There is a campground up there, or dispersed camping closer to the hot springs. Its up in hills overlooking Bridgeport so there is lots of shade. You can then take the backway into Bodie (masonic trail...I think). Lot's of bear activity

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
This is the area you are talking about, lots of great dispersed camping with views.

Attachments

Reactions: Suburban_Overland

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I took a trip out there and stayed at Green Creek CG last summer. There are a bunch of good spots off of Green Creek Rd to dispersed camp for free. You will need a fire permit available at the Forest Service Station just S of Bridgeport on 395. As you are headed W on Green Creek Rd, check out the spur trails on either side. Many of them lead to sites right along the creek and have good fishing.

Lots of excellent wheeling in the area as well. Green Creek canyon.jpg 7566.jpeg copper Mtn view - Jen.jpg Dunderberg Mill area meadow - Jen.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter

danthman114

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yuma, az
First Name
Dan
Last Name
H
Member #

look into crooked meadows. its off of hwy 120. you can get there either by taking hwy 6 from bishop and from Benton or turn at the little green church on 395 just past toms place. you wont regret it, I promise. many miles of roads to explore there too...