Launch Member

Influencer II

Lathrop, California
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Bircher
Member #

I'm looking for recommendations for some good dispersed camping areas near swimming holes or lakes with good beaches. We are planning a 5 day camp trip and I don't wanna pay camp ground fees. I have 2 little kids so I'm looking for kid friendly swimming spots. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

Egan

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Egan
Last Name
Burgess
Member #

It is pretty tough to find dispersed camp sites on most of the lanes in Stanislaus NF and with the amount of run-off this year most of the river spots are not very kid friendly. When are planning on going? If you are looking for August I could give you a couple of Ideas on the Clavey river that might be ok by then.

Reactions: Suburban_Overland

Cam_Cam_Tech

Rank VI

Pathfinder III

Pleasant Hill, CA
First Name
Camilo
Last Name
Sanchez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6QLZ
This would be in eldorado but..
Went to this area two weeks ago. Water level is high and good swing hole just a little ways down on this creek. The road does continue but for some reason it doesn't show on google but does on my gps.

I recommend this area for driving around, random fire rigs to stay, and good water flow at this time

Dropped Pin
near Amador County, CA
https://goo.gl/maps/CvdV8eDD19K2

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Suburban_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lathrop, California
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Bircher
Member #

It is pretty tough to find dispersed camp sites on most of the lanes in Stanislaus NF and with the amount of run-off this year most of the river spots are not very kid friendly. When are planning on going? If you are looking for August I could give you a couple of Ideas on the Clavey river that might be ok by then.
This would be in September.

Sent from my SM-N910V using OB Talk mobile app

kaikandojo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

5556 Masonic Ave, Oakland, CA 94618
First Name
Jarret
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

I'm heading to Stanislaus in a few days for 4-5 days of dispersed camping and trail driving. So far my experience in Stanislaus is limited to the area near Hull Creek Campground. This trip I'm hoping to find some routes that wander further into the forest. I have a high-clearance 4x4 (Land Cruiser) and Maxtrax, so I'm thinking moderate difficulty, but want to avoid rock crawling or extreme as we will be a solo vehicle with no winch.

Any recommendations on routes? Places to camp?

Will we be ok without a chainsaw this time of year?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Desertsand

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Alameda
I'm heading to Stanislaus in a few days for 4-5 days of dispersed camping and trail driving. So far my experience in Stanislaus is limited to the area near Hull Creek Campground. This trip I'm hoping to find some routes that wander further into the forest. I have a high-clearance 4x4 (Land Cruiser) and Maxtrax, so I'm thinking moderate difficulty, but want to avoid rock crawling or extreme as we will be a solo vehicle with no winch.

Any luck finding dispersed spots in the area?

Suburban_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lathrop, California
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Bircher
Member #

Let me know what you guys found out there. Any cool forest roads or spots that stuck out. Have a fun and safe trip

@Suburban_Overland

Suburban_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lathrop, California
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Bircher
Member #

did you end up exploring the forest? I'm in planning mode for this year and curious if you found any cool spots that I should look for.

kaikandojo

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

5556 Masonic Ave, Oakland, CA 94618
First Name
Jarret
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

We did...time got away from me when we got back and I forgot to post. I should add that posts from folks like Egan really helped a lot when I was planning.

The trip went really well. It turned out different than expected though still a great trip. I had some problems with my brakes that caused us to take it much easier than originally planned. Short story is that I had all four brakes replaced the day before the trip because they started to make that metal warning sound...not the sound to have going into a 5-day offroad trip in the mountains...the local shop that I used because of short notice (not my regular place, lesson learned) didn't properly bleed the rear lines which caused the front to overheat with offroad braking.

On a positive note, our trip was during the weekdays (M-F) so we found the mountains virtually all to ourselves. We decided to make the best of our situation to explore lightly during the day and try a few of the Forest Service campgrounds that we would other try to avoid due to crowds. Another important factor was that campfires were permitted at the campgrounds which otherwise were prohibited at dispersed sites due to the fire alerts.

Night 1: Stayed at a dispersed site about 20-30 minutes further in from Hull Creek Spring Campground. I'm not sure if it has a name...if you are looking at Hull Creek campground on the map, look east to where Trout Creek crosses 3N26Y. We had it completely to ourselves which was wonderful. Nice creek runs through it. This is a great spot if you go on a weekday; it gets pretty full on the weekends as there are ATV trails nearby. There are a few other dispersed sites along the Clavey River - just follow the roads nearby to where they cross Clavey.

Night 2: During the day we tried out some trails and various forest roads near where we camped the night before. This was also the day that the brakes started to make me nervous. So instead of continuing further in where we were, like to Dodge Meadows / Dodge Ridge (2018 shortlist), we headed north to the Herring Creek Reservoir Campground. The sites were empty except for a long-term person (campground host?) who was parked at the very first site. We took one of the sites that was along the stream and a wooded privacy screen. Another great find that we could enjoy essentially all to ourselves. A bit cooler at night because of the higher elevation. If you are looking for dispersed sites, there were lots of fields and areas to pull off while heading up Forest Route 4N12 to the campground.

Night 3: After a lazy morning and a leisurely hike around the Gargoyle rim, we headed back down the mountain to spend the afternoon in Sonora getting the brakes fixed. Unfortunately that detour cut into our plans to explore Pinecrest Peak and Eagle Peak / Eagle Meadow - both of which seem pretty accessible via forest roads (2018 shortlist). For night 3, we drove to Sand Bar Flat Campground which is on the Stanislaus River. It was by far the most remote of the three FS campgrounds - down a very long, windy, and rough road - yet oddly was the most modern of the group once you make it there. This would have been a nice place to do some fishing if we had brought any rods. Just keep in mind that it is a long, rough drive in and out.

Night 4: Daytime packed on a lot of miles just driving through the Stanislaus / Yosemite area and ended with a nice dinner in Twain Harte. It was getting late when we finally paid the bill, so we decided to see if there were any spots at Hull Creek Spring Campground. It was the closest campground and we could always head further in on forest roads if it was full. Fortunately we found yet another amazing site. We wrapped the trip with another very lazy morning. This is my second trip where I've stayed here and both have been positive experiences. The other time was on a Saturday night and there was some noise the next morning from the ATV trails; not an issue on this trip due to our weekday itinerary.

Feel welcome to let me know if you have any questions.

Suburban_Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Lathrop, California
First Name
Robbie
Last Name
Bircher
Member #

Thank you for the write up. I'm planning on going to the herring creek and gargoyles I'll have to keto an eye out for the dispersed sites. Any that stand out that I should look for?

Sent from my N9560 using OB Talk mobile app

JustinSenior

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tracy, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
2/16/2019
Great write up thanks! I will go take a look at these spots. Any issues with bears or other animals? I hear this is bear country.

Thanks again!

justintheegreat

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Northern California
Member #

Thank you for the write up. We just did a camping trip here and it was amazing.
Attempted to camp but unfortunately the ranger stopped by on his quad and informed us they are no camp fires unless we are in a paid camp ground. So we migrated back down to hull creek and camped there for the night.
I should have checked whether or not fires where aloud but I was too excited as it was my first time camping.

Sent from my SM-G950U using OB Talk mobile app

mikestan21

Rank 0

Contributor I

Bay Area, CA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Stan
Heading to the Herring Creek/Reservoir area but the campgrounds are closed for maintenance, anyone know if there are any good spots along the creek between the reservoir campground and the reservoir itself? Looks like there's a trail between the two. Also interested in any other good dispersed spots around that area, preferably near some water.

Thanks,
Stan